hate to do it but.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STLINI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd do this, but due to my school's infinite wisdom theres basically nobody else home on break and I'm bored. Basically I'm tryin to decide whether I'd have a legitimate shot at some top schools, specifically Baylor and UChicago. I'm worried my ECs are going to hold me back, especially after some of the ridiculous stuff you see on here.

I've got-
-year of volunteering at an animal shelter-3 hrs/wk
-golf club
-some amsa involvement
-volunteer swim coach in the summer- the team I was on for about 8 yrs
-physiology tutor this semester- 3hrs/wk
-first 2 years I was involved in a chemistry with kids program as an honors project, but it was really only 4-5 hours each semester
-about to start going to a soup kitchen on saturdays
-in both basketball and football student organizations
-I'm an ER tech but really only work in the summer and on school breaks
-limited shadowing in cath lab and with radiologist
-i've also helped my local hospital(not the one i work at) at some parades and other events they sponsor, although not a huge time commitment

really nothing too special and I worry its not enough to have a legitmate shot at top schools, although numberswise I think I'm ok

GPA-3.8ish
BCPM-about the same
MCAT 39Q

any feedback would be great, and i guess i could mention i'm an illinois resident, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think your numbers are great and your extracurriculars as mentioned are fine. The main thing I don't see mentioned is a research experience. While not essential in general, the "top" schools are more likely to be research-oriented and to expect this on an application. Overall, 60% of all applicants have a research experience of some kind.

Never thought I'd do this, but due to my school's infinite wisdom theres basically nobody else home on break and I'm bored. Basically I'm tryin to decide whether I'd have a legitimate shot at some top schools, specifically Baylor and UChicago. I'm worried my ECs are going to hold me back, especially after some of the ridiculous stuff you see on here.

I've got-
-year of volunteering at an animal shelter-3 hrs/wk
-golf club
-some amsa involvement
-volunteer swim coach in the summer- the team I was on for about 8 yrs
-physiology tutor this semester- 3hrs/wk
-first 2 years I was involved in a chemistry with kids program as an honors project, but it was really only 4-5 hours each semester
-about to start going to a soup kitchen on saturdays
-in both basketball and football student organizations
-I'm an ER tech but really only work in the summer and on school breaks
-limited shadowing in cath lab and with radiologist
-i've also helped my local hospital(not the one i work at) at some parades and other events they sponsor, although not a huge time commitment

really nothing too special and I worry its not enough to have a legitmate shot at top schools, although numberswise I think I'm ok

GPA-3.8ish
BCPM-about the same
MCAT 39Q

any feedback would be great, and i guess i could mention i'm an illinois resident, thanks

You are golden for Pritzker on paper. Make sure you get good LORs, preferably at least one with an affiliation to the med school. So long as you do well at the interview and write good essays, I think you have a very good shot at top schools. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you hit Top 10.