Hating dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GTchick

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else hate dental school? I literally get sick to my stomach when I walk in in the mornings. I am a 3rd year so it is too late to quit now but I just want to know I am not alone.

Members don't see this ad.

GTchick said:
Does anyone else hate dental school? I literally get sick to my stomach when I walk in in the mornings. I am a 3rd year so it is too late to quit now but I just want to know I am not alone.

So far I would say it's not a party worth writing home about - I'm just looking past the fourth year for my relief.

GTchick said:

JUST BITE YOUR TONGUE, DO YOUR REQUIREMENTS, WATCH YOUR 6, STAY OUTTA TROUBLE AND LEARN AS MUCH DENTISTRY AS POSSIBLE. IT WILL BE OVER SOON. 10 LONG WEEKS TO GO!

Members don't see this ad :)
kerrydds06 said:
JUST BITE YOUR TONGUE, DO YOUR REQUIREMENTS, WATCH YOUR 6, STAY OUTTA TROUBLE AND LEARN AS MUCH DENTISTRY AS POSSIBLE. IT WILL BE OVER SOON. 10 LONG WEEKS TO GO!

The OP has another year left after this year!

GTchick said:
I literally get sick to my stomach when I walk in in the mornings. I am a 3rd year so it is too late to quit now but I just want to know I am not alone.

Girl, I remember you back in your predent days....did something happen to you at Temple dental that made you "hate" dentistry? If I were you, I would drop out now if you "hate" dentistry. If you continue, then you'll have another year of loans plus more pressure of being a 4th year dental student next year. From what I recall, Temple Dental, you're responsible for all your patients' payments. If they don't pay, then you have to pay....

I hate to encourage you to drop out, but if you don't like dentistry, finishing your DMD degree isn't going to help you.

Yah-E said:
The OP has another year left after this year!

Girl, I remember you back in your predent days....did something happen to you at Temple dental that made you "hate" dentistry? If I were you, I would drop out now if you "hate" dentistry. If you continue, then you'll have another year of loans plus more pressure of being a 4th year dental student next year. From what I recall, Temple Dental, you're responsible for all your patients' payments. If they don't pay, then you have to pay....

I hate to encourage you to drop out, but if you don't like dentistry, finishing your DMD degree isn't going to help you.

I disagree. Dental school is not dentistry- any dentist will tell you that. It does suck, but you are well on your way there. You can always change careers later, but having that degree is a great safety net.

dental school does suck right now... but then again i'm a first year stuck in a bunch of basic science classes, so I expect it will get much better starting about a year from now. if you still hate it as a third year, that could be bad...

Dukie said:
I disagree. Dental school is not dentistry- any dentist will tell you that. It does suck, but you are well on your way there. You can always change careers later, but having that degree is a great safety net.
I completely agree. I have a sibling who's a dentist and they noted that they learned more about dentistry in 6 months than they did in 4 years of dental school. GTchick, I am in the same boat. I'm kinda sick of it, but hang in there, it will get better

Is it dental school she hates or is it dentistry she hates? If she hates dentistry, then what's the point getting that DMD and go through another year of agony and accruing another $50K worth of debt?

Yah-E said:
Is it dental school she hates or is it dentistry she hates? If she hates dentistry, then what's the point getting that DMD and go through another year of agony and accruing another $50K worth of debt?
The point would be having a doctorate to show for four years & a quarter million, vs. empty hands for three years & $175k.

I'm not advocating either course of action for the OP, but that difference can be pretty significant when it comes to making future professional plans.

Reactions: 1 user
she hates dental school....she doesn't know what dentistry is yet, she's a 3rd yr!.....

to OP:
Don't quit. You hate dental school now because everyday is stressful. You are required to do procedures that you haven't done before or you have difficulty with. That's because you are learning. Once you are out in private practice, you're your own boss and you choose what you do. If you don't like endo/exo/kids/cleaning....no problem, refer them out and hire hygienist to do the boring work. Of course, the more you know how to do, the more money you make....but a lot of dentists make 6 figures just doing filling and cleanings. Just imagine 6 figure salary in a relatively stress-free 9-5 job, now THAT's dentistry.
Don't quit now because you don't know what's it's like at the end....if you quit now, the money and effort you spent these past 3 yrs are down the drain.

I agree with some things that were said. First, if I were you I'd definitely finish school and get my DDS. You don't have to practice afterwards. You can go corporate and sell practices or do consulting. Also, dental school is not a 100% accurate representation of dentistry. You don't have faculty telling you to do something over. You can kick your patient to the curb if he starts being a prick; you don't need to put up with it because he's got an RPD you need to graduate.

The way I see it: drop out and you're a dime a dozen college grad with a lot of debt. Stay in and you're one of a decreasing number of dentists with a slightly larger debt. If you drop out it will take forever to pay off your debt. Not many jobs pay college grads $120,000 starting. For sure stay in. De-stress over some beers with your classmates once or twice a week. I'm sure there are others with your concerns.

Dukie said:

Furthermore, I wouldn't drop out as a D3. The OP has less than 1.5 years left. She might as well obtain the degree even if she doesn't ever use it. Do NOT drop out. Even if you "hate" dentistry (or think you do), you owe it to yourself to earn the degree. You can use a professional degree as leverage into other professions if needs be.

I love going to dental school! There is so much going on here at my school...its really exciting!!!

Why do you hate it? Maybe its the school and you can transfer. I go to NYU, so its not far from where you are. Stop on by and maybe we can add an extra student.

Members don't see this ad :)
3rdMolarRoller said:
I love going to dental school! There is so much going on here at my school...its really exciting!!!

Why do you hate it? Maybe its the school and you can transfer. I go to NYU, so its not far from where you are. Stop on by and maybe we can add an extra student.

I can never tell if people are being sarcastic online. This one could go either way...

drhobie7 said:
I can never tell if people are being sarcastic online. This one could go either way...

I'm for real. No jokes at all. I've really enjoyed school lately because I have been spending a TON of time in the implant clinic.

The last year of dental school - even though it is relatively better than others - is really depressing. And it is nothing like being in private practice. You are not the only one that feels that way. It is 1000% better once you get out. That should make you feel a little bit better.

Don't let the school get you down... for some reason most universities know how to turn off students. To be a dental educator... there are no formal courses and no funding to go to meeting like ADEA(American Dental Education Assoc) to learn. That frustration leads to less alumni donations...

The faculty has to learn to mentor.. to be there for the students.. while being faculty and demanding competencies.. this will lead to mutual respect.
But the faculty must learn too.

Often it is good to share frustations... to vent...

Good luck, keep with it, dentistry is a great profession

aphistis said:
The point would be having a doctorate to show for four years & a quarter million, vs. empty hands for three years & $175k.

I'm not advocating either course of action for the OP, but that difference can be pretty significant when it comes to making future professional plans.

Very well put, Bill!!

Ok so it probably is dental school and not dentistry I hate. I can't really drop out. I am on scholarship with the NHSC and I would owe way too much money ot even think about not fulfilling that requirement. I think mostly is is dealing with patient interactions such as scheduling and insurance. That sucks. Once my patient is in the chair it isn't always awful. I love oral pathology so at least I know a direction I can go if dentistry isn't for me after I am out. I just think I have become a completely different person in school and I don't like it.

wish I went to med school, dental school is easier than undergrad and playing with wax is not important

GTchick said:
Ok so it probably is dental school and not dentistry I hate. I can't really drop out. I am on scholarship with the NHSC and I would owe way too much money ot even think about not fulfilling that requirement. I think mostly is is dealing with patient interactions such as scheduling and insurance. That sucks. Once my patient is in the chair it isn't always awful. I love oral pathology so at least I know a direction I can go if dentistry isn't for me after I am out. I just think I have become a completely different person in school and I don't like it.

if it makes you feel any better, i hate dental school right now too and i'm only a freshman :(

hang in there and don't drop out because then i'll lose hope

GTchick said:

I have a Masters degree I am not using in Business right now because I am trying to get where you are: (in dental school). I thought about not finishing my degree because I had to take all the science prereqs in order to apply and wanted to get a jump on it a year sooner. However, I listen to my mother and finished the degree because like she said to me it is better to have options than no options. Not to mention the investment, you have already made. If you quit now, you will have to still pay all that money back with the penalty from the NHSC; a point you have already realized before. Trust me from a business standpoint, unless you have some other way of making alot of money, it will financially ruin you if you quit now. That's just the reality.

To me it seems as though the realized version of patient care is not the ideal situation you might have imagined. The insurance and scheduling can be passed on to your office manager in real practice and all you have to do is dentistry. Although it is a good idea to watch over the office manager and make sure they are not screwing you over. Right now you have many hats. You are the scheduler, office manager, dentist while learning all on the fly. They try to stress you out to see if you break. Dont let them break you, you adapt and then break them. Try to find ways to make the scheduling and insurance more efficient and easier on you. Try to find someone that has it down and learn from them. However, as other have stated, when you are in your practice after the NHSC you can call your own shots. Not mention the fact that you will have four years of experience in a clinic somewhere before you have to work on patients in your own office with pressures of running the business. Dont forget you will not have any student loans to pay off! Big plus! Lastly if you have changed into a person that you dont like, then change into someone you do like. Take a little time each day and do something that gives you joy and takes your mind off of the dental school oppresive, stressful environment. I have several friends in school right now and they tell me to just get through it. The gravy comes later. But please dont quit. You will regret it even if you dont want to practice later. Remember what does not kill you makes you stronger. Stay in school, dont be a fool. I always loved that little political slogan for education support. Good luck with a decision although I think you have one already. But, it is always good to vent to others to reinforce what you already know deep inside. Now get back in there and do some good dentistry soldier.

runfast520 said:
wish I went to med school, dental school is easier than undergrad and playing with wax is not important
:laugh:

GTchick said:

You're not alone! I get sick to my stomach every day too. I'm hoping that it is just school and not dentistry. We're asked to do a lot. Hopefully, it will make us better dentists in the end. Hang in there!

Please oh Please tell me this has nothing to do with TEMPLE! 2 people on this post complain -- both from Temple and both displaying negative physiological reactions to stepping inside that building. I'm going there this fall, and now I'm even more nervous and scared.

GTChick and ahspitguy is it simply that you do not like the school or the work? Does temple suck? Be honest, there are MANY others who seem to be in the same worried boat about the upcoming 4 year experience there.

Stroszeck said:
Please oh Please tell me this has nothing to do with TEMPLE! 2 people on this post complain -- both from Temple and both displaying negative physiological reactions to stepping inside that building. I'm going there this fall, and now I'm even more nervous and scared.

GTChick and ahspitguy is it simply that you do not like the school or the work? Does temple suck? Be honest, there are MANY others who seem to be in the same worried boat about the upcoming 4 year experience there.

Maybe it has something to do with doing all your own lab work at Temple, or so I hear.

Dynomite said:
Maybe it has something to do with doing all your own lab work at Temple, or so I hear.
HOnestly I don't like Temple. I am sure there are other dental schools I would like better and maybe even some I would like worse. There are plenty of people that like it though. I don't think dental school would be pleasant no matter where you go. At least the people in my class are great. It isn't just the lab work part that sucks. To me it is patient management. Our no show rate is extreme and so you end up wasting a lot of time. Plus the school is way too nice to the patients. I have patients that have been dropped more than once for not showing up yet I am supposed to waste my time on them no showing me. I just feel like there isn't much help from the school in helping you get through.

Winners dont quit!!!!
Just suck it up and drive on!

Dental school sucked and no you are not alone. Too many times I felt like I was at my wits end and I'm surprised there is any lining left in my stomach. Hang in there. Practice can be much better, just take the time to research the positions and find something that suits YOU when the time comes, and you'll be laughin.

I say...don't drop out, and trust me, no one hates dentistry more than I do. It's impressive, satisfying, and very marketable to have a DDS. I'm currently looking into other options to actually practicing dentistry.

sjdent said:
I say...don't drop out, and trust me, no one hates dentistry more than I do. It's impressive, satisfying, and very marketable to have a DDS. I'm currently looking into other options to actually practicing dentistry.

There are many days when I could come home with with a bleeding pulp for a head, however, I realize that at the end of it all it should be worth it. Quite literally I have given up all free thought and converted simply into a hoop jumper. Hopefully it will all pay off.

Stroszeck said:

Well dental school is tough no way around it. But I think why alot of 4th and 3rd year students are upset is that we are all guinea pigs in a new outreach program. The school requires us to do 45 days which was reduced to 20 days and ,we do not, as of yet get any credit (Well minimal credit) for the work we do out of the school. Talking to many seniors they tell me the experience was a waste of time. Mainly just doing prophys. So this conjuction with the stress of everything else. This has alot of people in our class questioning if coming to Temple was the right choice. But we will stick it out and maybe all the kinks and stress will be worked out by the time you are a senior.

aphistis said:

Did none of you take economics? Sunk costs anyone?

GTchick said:
HOnestly I don't like Temple. I am sure there are other dental schools I would like better and maybe even some I would like worse. There are plenty of people that like it though. I don't think dental school would be pleasant no matter where you go. At least the people in my class are great. It isn't just the lab work part that sucks. To me it is patient management. Our no show rate is extreme and so you end up wasting a lot of time. Plus the school is way too nice to the patients. I have patients that have been dropped more than once for not showing up yet I am supposed to waste my time on them no showing me. I just feel like there isn't much help from the school in helping you get through.

GTChick
Are you the one who told me and my buddy on the elevator at Temple (during our interview) that Temple was too 'compartmentalized'???

If it was you, what in the world does that mean? I think you said you were third year...somewhat tall, dark hair, caucasian. Just wondering what that meant.

i guess you all should have gone to pacific. we love it here.

Stroszeck said:

I wouldn't get to upset.... there are probably students from every dental school that 'hate it'. I would just make sure that when we start there we get going on the right foot and keep our nose clean. Temple has issues jsut like any other program and the fact the the students are required to do 50% of all the work (billing, lab, etc..) would discourage anyone... but knowing how it all works is important I think... even though it is going to suck. Even my father a Temple dental grad didn't walk out saying HE LOVED EVERY MINUTE AT DENTAL SCHOOL. We are going to be met with all kinds of crap... just take it with in stride and do the best you can, thats all I am going to try and do.

1992Corolla said:
GTChick
Are you the one who told me and my buddy on the elevator at Temple (during our interview) that Temple was too 'compartmentalized'???

If it was you, what in the world does that mean? I think you said you were third year...somewhat tall, dark hair, caucasian. Just wondering what that meant.

That wasn't me. I am anything but tall.

GTchick said:
That wasn't me. I am anything but tall.

seems like you're anything but happy too. Hope you find your groove!

Good luck.

tug1625 said:
I wouldn't get to upset.... there are probably students from every dental school that 'hate it'. I would just make sure that when we start there we get going on the right foot and keep our nose clean. Temple has issues jsut like any other program and the fact the the students are required to do 50% of all the work (billing, lab, etc..) would discourage anyone... but knowing how it all works is important I think... even though it is going to suck. Even my father a Temple dental grad didn't walk out saying HE LOVED EVERY MINUTE AT DENTAL SCHOOL. We are going to be met with all kinds of crap... just take it with in stride and do the best you can, thats all I am going to try and do.

I wouldn't mind learning about the billing process. Couldn't use that skill later on when opening a practice. Better to get your hands wet otherwise its gonna be more problematic i'm guessing when you open your own practice cause you won't know what to do. When a patient steps into your office. I'm a PREdent working on becoming a PROdent, so i could be wrong.

hey GTchick.......im 99% sure that I know who you are.......

anyways, your complaints are basically the same complaints i hear about Temple from every class and was a worry for me when I was deciding on a school. However, I talked to seniors when they were just about to graduate and dentists from Temple who ALL had the same concerns, yet they appreciated Temple when they got into the "real world". In a thread last year from a Temple grad who said that he would definitely goto Temple again only when he was out practicing for 10 years....this is what he wrote in regards to your concern:

"Make suer the school will help u with patietns , and requirements. This was probably the most stressful part. Not knowing whether u would graduate on time, not because you wernt smart, or not because u didnt show up, but because your patients didnt show up."

You can read the thread yourself here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125952

Maybe it will cheer you up a bit.

Our radiology prof told us a story today about his dental school days because he was sick of us whining about how hard it is, etc. He was a physician back in Hungary and when he immigrated to the US, he decided to change careers and go the dental route. He ended up going to UAB because he didn't know any better at the time. This was back in the segregation days and he was referred to as the "damn foreigner", at least to his face. They probably said something else when he wasn't in the room. The professors called all their students "son", and the clinic was segregated into "colored" and "white" operatories. Since he was foreign, they only let him work on the black patients.

One day, he got a call from a patient he had extracted a molar from the day before. She was having bleeding problems, so he had her come in to get it checked out. She was bleeding all over the waiting room, so he rushed her in and had her sit down in the nearest chair so he could help her out. He promptly got chewed out by the nearest faculty member, because he didn't notice it was a "white" operatory. The faculty member gave him a toothbrush after yelling at him and made him scrub every inch of the "contaminated" chair. He just sucked it up and did what he was told...could explain why he gets so cranky sometimes now. Anyway, makes our complaints seem pretty insignificant now.

Damn, thats some F'ed up crap.

crazy_sherm said:
Our radiology prof told us a story today about his dental school days because he was sick of us whining about how hard it is, etc. He was a physician back in Hungary and when he immigrated to the US, he decided to change careers and go the dental route. He ended up going to UAB because he didn't know any better at the time. This was back in the segregation days and he was referred to as the "damn foreigner", at least to his face. They probably said something else when he wasn't in the room. The professors called all their students "son", and the clinic was segregated into "colored" and "white" operatories. Since he was foreign, they only let him work on the black patients.

One day, he got a call from a patient he had extracted a molar from the day before. She was having bleeding problems, so he had her come in to get it checked out. She was bleeding all over the waiting room, so he rushed her in and had her sit down in the nearest chair so he could help her out. He promptly got chewed out by the nearest faculty member, because he didn't notice it was a "white" operatory. The faculty member gave him a toothbrush after yelling at him and made him scrub every inch of the "contaminated" chair. He just sucked it up and did what he was told...could explain why he gets so cranky sometimes now. Anyway, makes our complaints seem pretty insignificant now.

You shoulda said, "Yeah yeah, I bet you had to walk six miles in the snow too." :D

drhobie7 said:
You shoulda said, "Yeah yeah, I bet you had to walk six miles in the snow too." :D

:rolleyes:

I wouldn't belittle what this prof had to go through with a smart comment like that. I'm surprised UAB would have even taken a "foreign" student, considering the make-up of the class, profession, and society at the time.

Edit: Just noticed the big grin, I'll assume it was sarcasm ;) .

drhobie7 said:

Thats what I tell my dad when he tells me his stories.

This really made me feel I am not alone!
Just started D4 and I am thinking this year won’t end and will last forever

Reactions: 1 users

Working for free is awful! But fear not, it’ll all be over soon and you’ll be free to live life as the kind of dentist you want to be. It’s awesome.

Working for free is awful! But fear not, it’ll all be over soon and you’ll be free to live life as the kind of dentist you want to be. It’s awesome.

It is also about the stress that this school brings.Clinics really stress me out and when I am stressed I can not focus at all so this reflects on my work which turns out not good.But a lot of dentists tell me that this is gonna change after graduation and I will learn more in the private practice.I hope all of this struggle pass quickly
Thank you for your encouragement

Reactions: 1 user