Have a laugh guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpMe212

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what my chances are. 3.75 GPA with a 515 on the MCAT (CP-97%, CARS-70%, Bio-99%, Psych-86% in the sections for a grand total of 93% overall)

I have about 200 hours of medical volunteering in different areas and about 100 of non-medical volunteering.

I have 1500+ hours of research with 3 publications and writing a fourth

I am in several clubs in school with leadership roles.

I am a school tutor for orgo, chem, bio, and spanish

What do you think my top school choices should be? Think I have a chance at Columbia and Yale? I need to make a list soon and don't know which schools to choose.

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U AZ (both)
U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.
Your state school(s).

I was just wondering what my chances are. 3.75 GPA with a 515 on the MCAT (CP-97%, CARS-70%, Bio-99%, Psych-86% in the sections for a grand total of 93% overall)

I have about 200 hours of medical volunteering in different areas and about 100 of non-medical volunteering.

What do you think my top school choices should be? Think I have a chance at Columbia and Yale? I need to make a list soon and don't know which schools to choose.

Much appreciated!

Much appreciated!

Those two will definitely be a reach but it's not stupid for you to think it's worth an application to try at all.

Goro's list is on point. Your in solid shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I actually have most of the schools you listed as ones that I am applying to. I was just wondering what were some realistic reach schools.

I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U AZ (both)
U VM
U Toledo (maybe)
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
USC
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Duke
Case

Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools.
Your state school(s).

So this was my list in order of rankings more or less:
Yale
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Pittsburgh
Mt Sinai

Rochester
Einstein
Jefferson
Temple
Uconn
Stony Brook
Downstate
Upstate
Hofstra
NYMC

The bold are the reach schools and I am a NY resident so applying to the SUNYs. I want to stay on the East coast. How does it look?

Yale and Cornell will be the toughest. Suggest get more non-medical volunteering, and off campus, out of your comfort zone.

So I was in an internship in Houston for a summer and spent a year abroad. Also, completely forgot to say I was an Intel STS semifinalist and an ISEF finalist back in the day.

Last edited: