Have any of you actually met someone else from SDN in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm more of a salamander kind of guy.

It actually began on SDN with someone saying "hey we're going to the same school next year". I don't think it affects what I write here because I generally try to be thoughtful and true to myself whether online or in person. I would happily stand by anything I said in either context. Perhaps it's easier because I don't have any demonstrably flagrant views. At any rate, I think encouraging a good community culture is important, and I wish more people would look at this as a place to create a helpful, supportive community rather than a place to act out and get their rocks off by antagonizing others.
I dunno, that's pretty controversial, man. I would stop being friends with you if I found out you liked salamanders.

j/k. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a different username back when I was applying and I was identified quite easily at multiple interviews. That was pretty unsettling.
So you're pretty transparent nowadays. Why did you change your username?

I would love to meet DermViser lol
You're not the only one. After I had a very big spat with DermViser, I got so many messages asking me if I knew who he was (answer: no, it was a bluff).

I'll probably wear one of these that says, "The Buff OP" on my interviews.
hi-my-name-is.jpg

If I see a ripped black guy in my class, i'm just gonna assume it's you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The easiest way to accidentally blow your cover is to post something similar to both the Class-specific thread on SDN and simultaneously to your incoming class Facebook page.

I make no effort to hide who I am and many people have figured it out. I was outed a couple times on the med school interview trail, and at school especially among my classmates who also keep an eye on the annual Class-specific SDN thread. I also met many people on the social pre-med "Class of 20xx!!!!!!" thread for my class, and we've kept in touch both online (Facebook) and in person. Because I live in a tourist / conference city, I've hosted many SDN'ers at my apartment downtown.

And sorry, my apartment is already full of SDN'ers for the anesthesia conference next month.

So, I really gotta ask, is ANYONE in the "I am anon" camp besides me?

So you're pretty transparent nowadays. Why did you change your username?

You're not the only one. After I had a very big spat with DermViser, I got so many messages asking me if I knew who he was (answer: no, it was a bluff).

I was at an interview when a girl figured out who I was and was extremely awkward about it. I ecided I was done with the whole getting identified thing, so I switched it up. My identity is pretty easily found for anyone tthat wants to find it, but at least with a different username it's not so immediately obvious.

I'm pretty candid about what I say, but even so there are things that I hold back and don't share for fear of being misconstrued as "unprofessional."

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, lol, I remember you now!! You were that guy a while back really freaking out about getting into medical school and said you knew me, and that I made up publications, and I was like WTF? Glad to see you made it.

Last edited:
I was at an interview when a girl figured out who I was and was extremely awkward about it. I ecided I was done with the whole getting identified thing, so I switched it up. My identity is pretty easily found for anyone tthat wants to find it, but at least with a different username it's not so immediately obvious.
Like good awkward (shy, giggly, flirting, turning up the femininity) or bad awkward?

I have yet to meet someone from my school. Whenever I bring up SDN, everyone always say, "Oh yeah, I had an account back then but don't do anything now." Or something like that... No one will admit to it.

My handle makes me pretty obvious. Since I try to help out and post meaningful things, I'm not all too concerned about people finding out who I am. In fact, it would be nice to meet more fellow SDNers in the Chicago area.

Reactions: 3 users
I have yet to meet someone from my school. Whenever I bring up SDN, everyone always say, "Oh yeah, I had an account back then but don't do anything now." Or something like that... No one will admit to it.

My handle makes me pretty obvious. Since I try to help out and post meaningful things, I'm not all too concerned about people finding out who I am. In fact, it would be nice to meet more fellow SDNers in the Chicago area.

Everyone I know always says SDN is so stressful, because of all the gunners. I figure if you can't handle other people's accomplishments by the time you've made it this far you're in trouble.

I like being on sdn. It actually makes me feel part of something bigger than just my little world and makes me feel more prepared and informed than I used to about my "next step".

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, lol, I remember you now!! You were that guy a while back really freaking out about getting into medical school and said you knew me, and that I made up publications, and I was like WTF? Glad to see you made it.
Yeah, we had a pretty awful spat (sorry about that unprofessionalism, and sorry for the bluff). Bumped off the waitlist at only one school - only acceptance, 3 waitlists. Doesn't matter, was accepted, lol.

Yeah, we had a pretty awful spat (sorry about that unprofessionalism, and sorry for the bluff). Bumped off the waitlist at only one school - only acceptance, 3 waitlists. Doesn't matter, was accepted, lol.
Well glad to see you made it over. All you need is one acceptance.

I didn't read the whole thread to see if this had been mentioned, but I heard of two residents who are married (yes, married) after hitting it off on SDN.

I just imagine them admiring each others' trolling skills as the first spark.

Reactions: 1 users
I recognized someone from my class by their MDApps. But he is hella boring on here anyway.

imo SDN is the pre0-med/med student OKCupid ;)