Have any SDN members used the Gold Standard practice MCAT CBTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CerebroDad

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT Prep talks about its product called Gold Standard, which offers students 10 practice MCAT CBTs for about $150 (see link below to read the thread). Have any SDN members used those CBTs, and if so, how would you rate them on a scale of 1 to 5? Feel free to provide as much detail as possible to explain what you thought about this product. This is the thread I'm referring to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=402742

Members don't see this ad.

MCAT Prep talks about its product called Gold Standard, which offers students 10 practice MCAT CBTs for about $150 (see link below to read the thread). Have any SDN members used those CBTs, and if so, how would you rate them on a scale of 1 to 5? Feel free to provide as much detail as possible to explain what you thought about this product. This is the thread I'm referring to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=402742

I've heard they are good, a little harder than the AAMC exams. I'm actually watching the Gold Standard videos now and they are pretty good too.

If you do buy the exams I think you can get them for less than 150 on ebay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to see (roughly) how they stack up to Kaplan/AAMC in terms of difficulty, here are my scores in chronological order.
AAMC #9
Summer
Kaplan FL7
12/12/07
Kaplan FL6
12/17/07
Kaplan FL4
12/18/07
GS #1
12/21/07
GS #3
12/22/07
GS#2
12/24/07
GS#4
12/26/07
GS#5
12/28/07

I think the Physical Sciences curve is brutal and some questions are poorly worded (the 12 in GS#5 for PS corresponds to four missed questions). Verbal reasoning is too easy but the curve is harder than AAMC(37 = 12). Biological sciences tends to have a lot of detail-oriented questions related to anatomy (be prepared to answer questions pertaining to loss of vacuum in the interpleural place, etc). Also, they tend to reuse PS questions from test to test somewhat which can get annoying (particularly, the fact that half-filled orbitals are unusually stable comes to mind). Once I take another AAMC I'll have a better idea of their scoring accuracy

I like the way you're breaking up your exams. Did you mix up your exams the whole way through so that you wouldn't use up all your AAMC exams?

Thanks,
I'm definitely saving up the some of the later AAMC's for the few weeks prior to the exam, but I plan on taking AAMC #8 sooner rather than later to get a more accurate guage of where I am preparation wise. I will probably end up taking another 10 practice exams. GS is definitely helpful because you can't miss as many questions--Kaplan gets you used to being able to drop 10 questions on a test and get a 13. Oh, and there is absolutely no question in my mind that Kaplan inflates scores in the 30s, PARTICULARLY on Verbal.

on a scale of 1-5, Id give them a 2. The questions are oftentimes poorly worded, and the majority of the passages were to short and not very MCAT like. I scored about 5 points lower on the GS tests then the AAMC and KAPLAN. BUt the scores I received on the GS tests were closer to my actual MCAT then Kaplan and AAMC.