Have I completely screwed things up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d08

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently a Junior majoring in biology. I was previously and engineering major but last year I realized the science/medial field was more of my interest so I switched to biology. Long story short, I currently have a 3.5 g.p.a which means that I have all A's but I have 3 C's and 3 B's. I also have 3 drops and this semester is not going so well so my g.p.a will probably drop even lower. I have started my volunteer experiences and looking to expand them and start looking into the clinical/ shadowing experience. I have not been part of any research yet but I am hoping to get into it this summer. My question is how bad are things looking for me? By the end of this semester I'll probably have a mix of A's, B's, and C's (possibly a D) in my premed courses + 3 drop counts. I'll probably graduate within 5 years instead of the traditional 4 because I switched majors kinda late. Will that affect me? I feel like I am in a position where I can either still save med school application or It can all just go downhill from here. I would really appreciate any helpful advice that can help me still get into med school and anything that will help me stand out despite my mistakes. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all. You need to take it one step at a time. Your first priority is to do the best you can this semester. Then try to do as best you can throughout the rest of undergrad, you have plenty of time to raise your GPA. A 3.5 is already decent, and with 2+ more years of grades you can get it much higher!

3 drops shouldn't be a problem, but try not to drop any more unless you absolutely have to. Secondly, having a few Bs and Cs here and there is no problem, as long as your overall GPA and science GPAs are good. I have plenty of Bs throughout college but that hasn't stopped me from getting accepted.

You have plenty of time to improve your grades, do some cool activities, and gain the relevant medical/research/volunteering experience that you need to be a successful medical school applicant. Remember, think of volunteering and shadowing as a way to see if medicine is right for you. Take a deep breath, relax, and good luck.

3.5 is good to go for DO, try getting it up to 3.6 for MD.

The MCAT is very important, arguably moreso than your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. You need to take it one step at a time. Your first priority is to do the best you can this semester. Then try to do as best you can throughout the rest of undergrad, you have plenty of time to raise your GPA. A 3.5 is already decent, and with 2+ more years of grades you can get it much higher!

3 drops shouldn't be a problem, but try not to drop any more unless you absolutely have to. Secondly, having a few Bs and Cs here and there is no problem, as long as your overall GPA and science GPAs are good. I have plenty of Bs throughout college but that hasn't stopped me from getting accepted.

You have plenty of time to improve your grades, do some cool activities, and gain the relevant medical/research/volunteering experience that you need to be a successful medical school applicant. Remember, think of volunteering and shadowing as a way to see if medicine is right for you. Take a deep breath, relax, and good luck.
Thank you very much for your response I appreciate your advice. Do you have an suggestions on what can help me still get into an m.d. school? I know I need to improve my gpa, but other than that is there any specific things that could help me stand out?

3.5 is good to go for DO, try getting it up to 3.6 for MD.

The MCAT is very important, arguably moreso than your GPA.
Thank you for your response! I am definitely looking to improve that gpa in ever way I can.

Don't mess up these premed courses. Science GPA is more important than your cGPA. 3.5 isn't bad but 3.5 with a 3.0 sGPA is....also a downward trend is bad. Try your best to salvage the rest of this semester and kick some a** these next 3 semesters and get that GPA up! MCAT is obviously important.....it'll all come down to that. But no...you haven't completely screwed things up. Please don't get a D in a premed course....you'll probably end up deciding to retake it if you do.

Thank you very much for your response I appreciate your advice. Do you have an suggestions on what can help me still get into an m.d. school? I know I need to improve my gpa, but other than that is there any specific things that could help me stand out?

You will need to build a strong academic base. That means having a good MCAT (31+...or whatever the new MCAT equivalent will be) and GPA (3.6+).

Once you get that settled, you need to have experience in medicine. This often comes from shadowing and hospital/hospice/clinic volunteering. You should also look for ways to volunteer in a non-medical setting, especially if you can find under-served areas where you live and help out those populations.

Scientific research is another activity you should look into. Many people also tutor/TA etc.

Take it one step at a time.

I agree with Lamel. One step at a time mate. I think the 5 years would not hurt you because you can justify it. If your determined to get an MD and are willing to compile a solid resume take it slow. Focus on your classes now, especially pre-med classes. Do well on the MCAT. Get the volunteer experience in when you can. Maybe consider taking a gap year to do something cool so you can have story then apply to medical school. If you try to cram everything you might not preform as well as you could have in each step of the process and get into the medical school you wanted to. Keep Calm and carry on mate!