Have I ruined my chances...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KlondikeDelight

So I have an issue:

I was registered for the MCAT on July 24th. But I just had to deal with a personal catastrophe. I have been receiving anywhere from 33-37 on my MCAT scores, but now I am planning on taking my MCAT on August 7th because my parents think that taking the MCAT when you're mentally consumed is a bad idea - which I agree with.

I have submitted my AMCAS and will probably be verified within the next 2 weeks. My app looks like this: 3.75 plus, shadowing, research, volunteerism, extracurriculars, research, and all letters submitted to AMCAS. I just graduated in May so this year is my gap year. If I don't apply this cycle I'll have taken 2 gap years.

Should I pull my application and apply next year or apply this year?

For what it is worth I don't want to take 2 gap years because I don't know what I'll be doing during them (and I won't think about that now because I am going to focus on my MCAT). I'd like to start Medical School in 2015.

I value all of your opinions!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you take an august 7th mcat you will be hurting your chances at some schools but you can still get in. I think it depends on what schools you are shooting for. Just imagine that there are people with your stats that are complete at some schools and you won't even be complete until September.

Hi,

Thanks godawg300! Yeah I will pre-write secondary's and I definitely will be behind. I'm going to apply broadly (20-35 schools) and while I will throw in maybe 2-3 Ivy's I'm going to pretty much apply within my GPA/MCAT score range. I will go anywhere for medical school and I guess if I had preference I would pick NY, Cali, or Florida but again I just want to go somewhere.

I guess what I'm worried about is whether or not it is even worth applying. Have I shot myself in the foot for this cycle? Should I pull my APP?

This is one of those times where I need to be advised by those a lot more versed in application cycles than I am...thank you all for your support!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Since it is only a two week difference between your test dates, I think you should still apply. Given your MCAT averages and GPA, I think you will still get some interest. Especially since you are applying broadly and you will be ready to submit secondaries quickly. If I were in your shoes, I would apply because I would not want to sit around all year and wonder what could have happened. Your chances are not ruined.

can you do a year of research ? a year in a 30+ year career in medicine is a drop in the bucket. it makes more sense to take the mcat when you feel at your best/baseline level, and apply when you have an excellent mcat score that matches your gpa. having a productive research year will also bolster your application even more.

Hi,

Thanks godawg300! Yeah I will pre-write secondary's and I definitely will be behind. I'm going to apply broadly (20-35 schools) and while I will throw in maybe 2-3 Ivy's I'm going to pretty much apply within my GPA/MCAT score range. I will go anywhere for medical school and I guess if I had preference I would pick NY, Cali, or Florida but again I just want to go somewhere.

I guess what I'm worried about is whether or not it is even worth applying. Have I shot myself in the foot for this cycle? Should I pull my APP?

This is one of those times where I need to be advised by those a lot more versed in application cycles than I am...thank you all for your support!

You still have a shot. I've known people that applied later because of the mcat and got Into great places. They ended up with a good mcat, GPA, but the rest of their app was solid too. Especially at the non-rolling schools I don't think you will have a problem. I personally benefitted from taking 2 gap years but if you don't want to, I think you are fine applying, I speak from my experience of seeing several of my friends apply within the last 2 years. Now, it you happen to get a low mcat for whatever reason, that could be a problem, but your practice test look solid. Best or luck.

Your parents are correct on this one. Take the MCAT only when ready. Make good choices, this is a career-defining high stakes exam!

So I have an issue:

I was registered for the MCAT on July 24th. But I just had to deal with a personal catastrophe. I have been receiving anywhere from 33-37 on my MCAT scores, but now I am planning on taking my MCAT on August 7th because my parents think that taking the MCAT when you're mentally consumed is a bad idea - which I agree with.

I have submitted my AMCAS and will probably be verified within the next 2 weeks. My app looks like this: 3.75 plus, shadowing, research, volunteerism, extracurriculars, research, and all letters submitted to AMCAS. I just graduated in May so this year is my gap year. If I don't apply this cycle I'll have taken 2 gap years.

Should I pull my application and apply next year or apply this year?

For what it is worth I don't want to take 2 gap years because I don't know what I'll be doing during them (and I won't think about that now because I am going to focus on my MCAT). I'd like to start Medical School in 2015.

I value all of your opinions!

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user