Have I screwed up my chances forever because of my procrastination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not even going to bother asking Allopathic because I already know i've got little to no chance there. I have no problem going D.O. it doesn't make a difference to me at all anyways I've failed the same class twice (just got a D) and took a W as well for it. The class that for some reason has decapitated me is Calculus.(I know begin laughing). I had a very weak High School math background (only went up to Geometry). Anyways my overall gpa right now is 3.4. I've never felt this low before.

Members don't see this ad.

So what's your grade? A D or a W?

Honestly, it happens. That being said you obviously lack the foundation for calculus and as such need to either take precalc before hand or spend some time on khan academy self studying foundations of math necessary for calculus. For DO a repeat will take the previous grade so it won't kill your gpa.

So what's your grade? A D or a W?

Honestly, it happens. That being said you obviously lack the foundation for calculus and as such need to either take precalc before hand or spend some time on khan academy self studying foundations of math necessary for calculus. For DO a repeat will take the previous grade so it won't kill your gpa.

I first got an F then W and just recently received a D two points away from a C :(. I'm not a dumb person because I've gotten A's in Bio 1&2 B in chem 1 A in chem 2.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I first got an F then W and just recently received a D two points away from a C :(. I'm not a dumb person because I've gotten A's in Bio 1&2 B in chem 1 A in chem 2.

So you got a W & a D. No biggy. It happens.
Like I said, you really need to boost your foundation in math and you're going to have to retake it eventually for a decent grade.

Luckily your science GPA will remain unchanged, which is great for your DO prospects. Although I have to question why your school would let you take calculus before college algebra and trig. Those are extremely important in doing well in that class.

Reactions: 2 users
If it makes you feel any better, I withdrew from PE. However, I thought they were getting rid of the requirement. Whoops.

Math can be especially difficult without a strong foundation. I would not get down on yourself over this. Just brush up on your basics. Get tutoring and help where you need it (Never feel too ashamed to ask for help). Then charge back in there and try again. The only time you truly fail is when you fail to get back up again. Good Luck!

I was a senior in high school attending a joint enrollment program full-time at my local university when I first took Calc I. I didn't take it seriously (nor had I ever taken a trigonometry course) and ended up with an F. I re-took it again (this time an honors class) when I started at my undergrad institution and received a D. The third time, I dropped down to the regular course and ended up with a B. It's not the end of the world. Just brush yourself off, get back in there, and take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy.

Math can be especially difficult without a strong foundation. I would not get down on yourself over this. Just brush up on your basics. Get tutoring and help where you need it (Never feel too ashamed to ask for help). Then charge back in there and try again. The only time you truly fail is when you fail to get back up again. Good Luck!

Turns out I actually got a C. I can't wait for my summer classes to begin.

I was a senior in high school attending a joint enrollment program full-time at my local university when I first took Calc I. I didn't take it seriously (nor had I ever taken a trigonometry course) and ended up with an F. I re-took it again (this time an honors class) when I started at my undergrad institution and received a D. The third time, I dropped down to the regular course and ended up with a B. It's not the end of the world. Just brush yourself off, get back in there, and take advantage of the DO grade replacement policy.

I'm glad you got in good luck in medical school

Reactions: 1 user
@TheBatman Calculus is such a garbage class. So useless for premeds. Don't sweat it.

It's useful if you want to do something more than practicing. Calculus is a valuable competency if you decide that you want to do research with your medical degree.

To be completely honest, I think the vast majority of premed classes are not very useful at all for the pursuit of medical competencies. However, they are important for many other things including things that many premeds will eventually choose as a career path when they no longer desire or are capable of pursuing medicine. So, lets just agree that our training at least prepares us enough to earn our keep in the real world as opposed to a true premed degree that largely would leave thousands without any legitimate competencies.

If anything calc/math is the most useful of any of the pre-med pre-reqs. That and learning spanish & maybe minoring in business/economics

Luckily your science GPA will remain unchanged, which is great for your DO prospects. Although I have to question why your school would let you take calculus before college algebra and trig. Those are extremely important in doing well in that class.
Don't math classes count toward science GPA??