USMLE Have I screwed up my Step 1 and CS Prep and schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UzairLatif

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated this year(IMG), started Step 1 prep mid/late July, gave NBME 12 and got a 151, and took an eligibility period of Oct-Dec 2016, now extended to March 2017.

Until last week or so, the prep was extremely slow with <3 hours per day and I still have Patho, Pharm and Micro to cover first time in 2-3 years(Though the prep in my school years was enough to pass, I wouldn't consider it good). First Aid too remains unused except for half of Biochemistry. Of Qbanks, I've used Kaplan and USMLErx to about 10-15% each. I attempted a full lenght USMLErx mock test yesterday and got 176.

Now a days, I'm able to spend ~6 hours a day and, although I'm trying, I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach 10-12 hours a day, although 8 should be possible. I have now taken an early Feb 2017 date for Step 1 but I'm having doubts if I'd be able to prepare well by that time after these USMLErx results (aiming 250 with a minimum acceptable of 240).

For Step 2 CS, I have taken an early April 2017 date (the eligibility period being until late May). Reading online suggested it not a good a very good idea taking CS before CK(which I have planned for August 2017). I did this in order to have the results in hand by September 15, 2017, so that I may be able to participate in the match.

Now, I'm not too sure if it would be possible to keep this schedule with decent scores(>240) and pass on first attempt. That is Step 1 - early Feb, CS - early April, CK - mid August. I would be grateful if any senior could comment if these plans and goals are practical, or if there is a better way.

Because, if this is not practical, I only see 2 ways, both involving skipping the 2018 match (since programs don't really consider non-ECFMG certified IMGs).

1) Take my last Step 1 date (late march), CS - late may, CK - late September /October.

2) Take Step 1 in march, and skip and forfeit CS fee and go the traditional way of 1/CK/CS.

PS: I am currently doing an internship-equivalent in my country, but I can take a break.

Members don't see this ad.