Have I shot myself in the foot here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as some of you know, I am currently in the process of finishing my pre-reqs and taking some"recommended" courses.

I'm nearly there and have done great in them all so far (4.0 post-bacc). Due to my work schedule (I founded an ehealth company and work 80 hr weeks regularly), I really cannot take more than two (though I've done three before) in person classes at one time. On top of that, I have been simply unable to get into some of the classes I've needed for the past 3 semesters due to availability of classes. (thank you California)

Rather than continue to hope and pray I get into these classes, and delay my entrance to medical school even further, I decided to take gen chem I/II online via the UNE osteopathic school of medicine. I have (or will have) taken all other classes and pre-reqs in person, with the exception of gen chem I and II.

My situation: I've been out of school 7 years but have a lower cGPA with upward trend (should be 3.1-3.2 range by the time I apply) but a great sGPA (3.9) and post-bacc (4.0). Additionally, I've been told being a successful business owner will be a great EC.

For someone in my position, is the fact I took gen chem I and II online going to get me excluded from a lot of schools? I called about 2 dozen schools and 80% said they accept classes from UNE...but I'm still worried... what are everyone's opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as they're from an accredited university, you're fine. So quit fussing.

So as some of you know, I am currently in the process of finishing my pre-reqs and taking some"recommended" courses.

I'm nearly there and have done great in them all so far (4.0 post-bacc). Due to my work schedule (I founded an ehealth company and work 80 hr weeks regularly), I really cannot take more than two (though I've done three before) in person classes at one time. On top of that, I have been simply unable to get into some of the classes I've needed for the past 3 semesters due to availability of classes. (thank you California)

Rather than continue to hope and pray I get into these classes, and delay my entrance to medical school even further, I decided to take gen chem I/II online via the UNE osteopathic school of medicine. I have (or will have) taken all other classes and pre-reqs in person, with the exception of gen chem I and II.

My situation: I've been out of school 7 years but have a lower cGPA with upward trend (should be 3.1-3.2 range by the time I apply) but a great sGPA (3.9) and post-bacc (4.0). Additionally, I've been told being a successful business owner will be a great EC.

For someone in my position, is the fact I took gen chem I and II online going to get me excluded from a lot of schools? I called about 2 dozen schools and 80% said they accept classes from UNE...but I'm still worried... what are everyone's opinions?

I would listen to Goro. Something tells me he may know what he's talking about. :smuggrin:

Plus, if you've heard from schools you want to apply to that they're fine with it, then don't worry about it!
As for your competitiveness, it's anybody's guess. Your unique work experience could be great, and osteopathic schools usually have a lot of love for "non-trads" like you and me. Not sure if you're planning on applying this year, but it's a bit late right now. I would plan on applying early next year. Just be sure you have a good grasp on who you are and what your motivations are and be able to articulate that through your personal statement, secondary essays, and then interviews and I bet you'll be fine.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would these be ok for DO only or for DO/MD?