"Have you been arrested?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n2k21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supplemental essay asks if I have been arrested before.

I've been arrested once, more than a year ago, for petty theft (a misdemeanor charge). When explaining my situation to them, do you think I should: (a) say that I wasn't guilty and risk looking like someone who pathetically can't fuss up to their own actions and assume responsibility, or (b) say that I was guilty but it was a complete lapse of judgement and I've truly changed from it, which also has the risk of seeming fake.

Not sure how to answer this question. Long story short I wasn't guilty and it led to no conviction, especially since I was attending a good undergrad school and had a clean record, but I want to choose the best method of explanation to the admissions committee.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to admit guilt when you're not guilty? It's best to tell that you're not guilty and that you're not convicted like the record indicates.

If you lie, then you once again have committed another immoral act and will probably be caught if it shows up in a background check by the school. Contrary, if you do the right thing and just admit that you have and explain HOW you learned and have changed, then you should be fine. If all charges were dropped and you weren't convicted, then I wouldn't think that you would have to. Best idea is to call the school and ask if you need to mention your arrest if all charges were dropped and no conviction was made.

But really, it depends what type of theft is involved. It's none of our business to know the details, but if you were arrested in terms of theft involving controlled drugs, illegal drugs, or anything involving drugs/medications, then pharmacy schools might look at that as a much more serious event.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you want to admit guilt when you're not guilty? It's best to tell that you're not guilty and that you're not convicted like the record indicates.

Legally, I pleaded not guilty, and I was not convicted since I had a previously clean record.

But in terms of explaining the situation, should I:
1. Say that I did intend to shoplift and got arrested, but I am remorseful and will never do it again, or
2. Say that I didn't intend to shoplift and that it was a complete accident (i.e. it was on top of my bag and fell into my purse and I forgot about it..as idiotic as that sounds) but I got stopped while I was walking out and got arrested.

If I say #1, it makes me look immoral and they could question my morality in becoming a pharmacist - "how do you know you won't do it again" type of thing. But at least they'll think I'm being genuine because who would fess up to a crime?

If I say #2, it might free from looking immoral but they could also either think I'm lying and that makes me more pathetic & immoral for not "owning up", or they could think I'm a complete idiot for forgetting about the items and not noticing them fall into my purse (which is actually what really happened in a complete lapse of judgment) and deem me too dumb to become a pharmacist lol -___-

Btw, it was for petty theft, no more than like 3-4 small cosmetic items.

Legally, I pleaded not guilty, and I was not convicted since I had a previously clean record.

But in terms of explaining the situation, should I:
1. Say that I did intend to shoplift and got arrested, but I am remorseful and will never do it again, or
2. Say that I didn't intend to shoplift and that it was a complete accident (i.e. it was on top of my bag and fell into my purse and I forgot about it..as idiotic as that sounds) but I got stopped while I was walking out and got arrested.

If I say #1, it makes me look immoral and they could question my morality in becoming a pharmacist - "how do you know you won't do it again" type of thing. But at least they'll think I'm being genuine because who would fess up to a crime?

If I say #2, it might free from looking immoral but they could also either think I'm lying and that makes me more pathetic & immoral for not "owning up", or they could think I'm a complete idiot for forgetting about the items and not noticing them fall into my purse (which is actually what really happened in a complete lapse of judgment) and deem me too dumb to become a pharmacist lol -___-

Btw, it was for petty theft, no more than like 3-4 small cosmetic items.

Mistakes happen, and from what you're telling me, I can see how someone could accidently forget they have a few items and walk out with it. Telling the truth would probably put you in a better position than lying to cover up the truth. If you lie to cover up the truth, you may have to tell more lies to cover up that lie, and so on... That could lead you to more trouble. You can also say that it's your lack of attention that led to the incidence and have learned to be more mindful of your surroundings. Given your clean record, it'd be unfair for a person to judge you as a thief. On the other hand, if you have several incidences like that, then it'll be really hard to convince people that they're all accidents. That being said, I'm just a student like you and that's just my humble opinion.

Oh, and I've seen a lady friend of mine walk out with something by accident before, so what you're describing is not entirely impossible... She turned right back and paid for it, so she didn't get into any trouble, but the point is, the truth sounds valid and doesn't contradict anything from your arrest record.

Mistakes happen, and from what you're telling me, I can see how someone could accidently forget they have a few items and walk out with it. Telling the truth would probably put you in a better position than lying to cover up the truth. If you lie to cover up the truth, you may have to tell more lies to cover up that lie, and so on... That could lead you to more trouble. You can also say that it's your lack of attention that led to the incidence and have learned to be more mindful of your surroundings. Given your clean record, it'd be unfair for a person to judge you as a thief. On the other hand, if you have several incidences like that, then it'll be really hard to convince people that they're all accidents. That being said, I'm just a student like you and that's just my humble opinion.

Oh, and I've seen a lady friend of mine walk out with something by accident before, so what you're describing is not entirely impossible... She turned right back and paid for it, so she didn't get into any trouble, but the point is, the truth sounds valid and doesn't contradict anything from your arrest record.

Thank you! You're right, I'm going to say the truth. I was having a moment of fear and imagined the admissions committee scoffing at my mistake. Hopefully it ends up okay.

Good luck in all your endeavors!

To err is human. None of us are infallible, so I imagine it wouldn't hurt your chances too much if you're honest about it. :) Best of luck to you as well! :)