have you had surgery/accident and required pain management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D P356

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an anesthesiologist have any of you had surgery or a car accident or any other type of accident requiring pain control with narcotics?
I ask due to potential for narcotic diverting after your surgery recovery. Essentially, you need surgery, receive surgery, and need pain management during recovery. When you return back to work after recovery is there an increased risk for narcotic abuse?Even after you've tapered off for pain management?
Thanks for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

As an anesthesiologist have any of you had surgery or a car accident or any other type of accident requiring pain control with narcotics?
I ask due to potential for narcotic diverting after your surgery recovery. Essentially, you need surgery, receive surgery, and need pain management during recovery. When you return back to work after recovery is there an increased risk for narcotic abuse?Even after you've tapered off for pain management?
Thanks for your answers.
That's what a lot of addicted anesthesiologists claim. I don't buy it. I think it is a matter of having an addicted personality.

I had some painful ortho procedure for which percocets were prescribed. I took 2 pills and the other 20 something expired a few years after in my med cabinet.

Reactions: 1 user
I tend to agree with urge. I fell from a second story window fighting a structure fire and broke a leg. Got dilaudid and it was the worst feeling I've ever experience. I don't know how people live on that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what a lot of addicted anesthesiologists claim. I don't buy it. I think it is a matter of having an addicted personality.

I had some painful ortho procedure for which percocets were prescribed. I took 2 pills and the other 20 something expired a few years after in my med cabinet.

I agree with this sentiment.

Those that I've seen divert may have had some event that exposed them to narcotics (back pain, an injury, etc), but it's more their maladaptive coping mechanisms that lead to them diverting narcotics. I'd say most anesthesiologists have had some surgery or injury that required opioid pain control at some point, they don't all wind up diverting from their patients.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are genetically predisposed or have an addictive personality, then that first round of narcs may be all it takes after that tib-fib fx.
That being said, there are lots of physicians that need some sort of narcotic to deal with their chronic pain. Unfortunately, they require maintenece narcotics for quite some time and then need to be tapered. If you do have an addictive personality... then the first taste has been had.
Wouldn't work for me, cuz that stuff makes me puke my guts out. 800mg of ibuprofen and 250mg of suck it up has worked pretty well for all of my injuries. The first couple days is the worst, so get a block if you can.