Have you or your colleagues ever been unfairly written up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVS Rph 1980

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.co...crimination-lawsuits-retail-pharmacy?page=0,1

I have worked in busy settings throughout the later part of my career. Fellow pharmacists have been targeted for petty reasons such as the ones written in Drug Topics. Have any of the pharmacists here been unfairly targeted by your companies? I keep my head down, work, try to maintain a good relationship with everyone including technicians and managers, and this has worked for me up to this day. This is while we have worked with things like WeCare, and unreasonable metrics. I have even worked off the clock on a number of occasions to the chigrin of some colleagues.

Members don't see this ad.

We have all be written up or "talked to" about things we think are unfair, some are true, some are not. I have never received any formal counseling, but I have seen some petty things come back to me that even my manager pretty much laughed off. Just have to have a thick skin, if it rises to the point where it messes with your job security, that is a whole different ball of wax

Reactions: 1 user
Was once written up for kpm reach rate. Stupid if
you ask me

Members don't see this ad :)
I would quit. That is like staying in an abusive relationship. They make you believe you are not good enough and nobody else will want you. Have some self respect.

I'v seen it happen

Last edited:
Written up for saying "I hate this f*cking place. I'm going to quit."

My stupid rxm wrote me up twice in 3 months for some petty stuff. One was for opening the store 20 minutes late even though I called the store manager on the day in question to let him know I was caught in traffic due to an accident on the freeway. Then they started documenting me for even coughing. My tech called for help in the pharmacy and they sent a cashier from the front to come help out. This stupid lady got to the door , then turned back and left. She went and told the store manager that I refused to open the door for her. I had two techs in the pharmacy with me and she didn't ask any of them to open the door for her. They documented the incident and filed it in my file. They also documented that I asked a patient to wait while I finish helping another patient that I was already helping before she walked up to the consultation window. At that point, I knew it was time to get the hell out of there. I requested for a transfer and it was granted within two weeks. Yesterday was my first day at the new store and I wondered why I waited for so long to get out.

You should see the **** I got written up for at my old hospital.

Once for putting omeprazole 20mg twice on a MAR. Once I said, "I swear to God, I'm going to go into the safe, grab all the narcs, and drive to Mexico. You'll never see me again." after a stressful situation just ended. Obvious sarcasm. And someone complained. And I got written up. Who does that?

That job was a master class in stab-you-in-the back office politics. Comparing it to my current job where there is actually a sense of protecting each other...hell...it actually makes me laugh at how ridiculous it was. My current PIC begged our supervisor not to move me out of my store when rumors circulated that I was and my supervisor told me I was an "essential" part of his district staff at my review last week.

Seriously, **** everything about hospital pharmacy.

My stupid rxm wrote me up twice in 3 months for some petty stuff. One was for opening the store 20 minutes late even though I called the store manager on the day in question to let him know I was caught in traffic due to an accident on the freeway. Then they started documenting me for even coughing. My tech called for help in the pharmacy and they sent a cashier from the front to come help out. This stupid lady got to the door , then turned back and left. She went and told the store manager that I refused to open the door for her. I had two techs in the pharmacy with me and she didn't ask any of them to open the door for her. They documented the incident and filed it in my file. They also documented that I asked a patient to wait while I finish helping another patient that I was already helping before she walked up to the consultation window. At that point, I knew it was time to get the hell out of there. I requested for a transfer and it was granted within two weeks. Yesterday was my first day at the new store and I wondered why I waited for so long to get out.

You obviously don't work for CVS as the RX Manager/PIC cannot write up a partner.

Glad it is going well for you! My first day at my new store was sooooo nice, I am so happy I moved. :)

What I don't understand is why your supervisor would not move you out of a situation that would cause you not perform at an optimal level. You are happier now and your performance can only increase. Estrace, how can your performance not go up since you no longer have to worry about being stabbed in your back by someone who is supposed to be a colleague.

What I don't understand is why your supervisor would not move you out of a situation that would cause you not perform at an optimal level. You are happier now and your performance can only increase. Estrace, how can your performance not go up since you no longer have to worry about being stabbed in your back by someone who is supposed to be a colleague.

In retrospect, I should have told my sup much sooner that I was unhappy. I think I was the frog in the pot, not realizing how unhappy I was gradually becoming until I found it unbearable. I also think that while it was obvious to me that I was unhappy (once it got bad enough), I wasn't vocal enough about it. I should have just said that the store was too hectic for me and I can't handle the volume with the amount (and caliber) of help that store has. But at least it worked out and now I know how to better handle this type of situation in the future.

Last edited:
You obviously don't work for CVS as the RX Manager/PIC cannot write up a partner.

I am an RX manager for cvs and I absolutely can and do write up partners.

Don't like or enjoy doing it but I can and have.

Members don't see this ad :)

I never had performance issues. I soldiered on even in the mist of all that she put me through. I worked so hard at that store that all I do once I get home from work is pass out.
I just started at the new store yesterday. For the first time in about 2 years, I got home from work yesterday, helped my kids with their homework and made dinner.
I'm actually thinking of just doing the bare minimum now after finding out that my ex RXM thought I was after her position.

I am an RX manager for cvs and I absolutely can and do write up partners.

Don't like or enjoy doing it but I can and have.

Not in my district. The pharmacy supervisor would shut you down in a heartbeat. We don't roll that way. If you can't get along with your partner, the supe will solve it or move somebody. But, that's why everybody in our general region wants to work in our district. You are supposed to have a collegial relationship with your partner and be part of a team. It doesn't work well that way if you have that power over them and especially if you exercise it...

Seems like you would be shooting yourself in the foot by writing up a partner. Doesn't sound smart at all.

When my partner had a customer complaint against him, my sup called me and asked me if I was going to write him up for it. I told the sup I wasn't going to because I wasn't comfortable writing someone up for something I didn't personally witness. His feeling was I should write my partner up the same as I would any tech who had someone complain about them. So I can conform that my sup does expect the PIC to use momentum on the staff pharmacist if it is appropriate.

When my partner had a customer complaint against him, my sup called me and asked me if I was going to write him up for it. I told the sup I wasn't going to because I wasn't comfortable writing someone up for something I didn't personally witness. His feeling was I should write my partner up the same as I would any tech who had someone complain about them. So I can conform that my sup does expect the PIC to use momentum on the staff pharmacist if it is appropriate.

What was the complaint? Seems like a pharmacist could get a customer complaint without doing anything wrong, same as a tech.

Your supe is an a-hole. When a customer complains his job is to protect you from the customer and then get your side of the story. Like customers always tell the truth. My staff includes me, my partner (Filipino) and twelve techs. I have one white intern and everyone else is Black, Hispanic or Asian. So when the customer called to complain I was racist, his answer was "Ma'am, have you looked at his staff?" If you do something stupid, the supe will call you on it, but write you up? Only a *****. You write someone up only for a gross violation of company policy, otherwise you have a direct conversation about what they did, why they shouldn't do it and how they won't do it again.

And what happens when the customer complaint is against the PIC? It is just not fair that your partner can write you up but you can't write a tech up. I guess we have no power staff pharmacists.

And what happens when the customer complaint is against the PIC? It is just not fair that your partner can write you up but you can't write a tech up. I guess we have no power staff pharmacists.

Again, you have a conversation with your PIC and if you have to, you escalate to the Pharmacy Supervisor.

Just because a tech gets a customer complaint doesn't mean you instantly write them up. People have complained to corporate because they were out of refills and we didn't tell them until they tried to refill it (try reading the bottle), because their co-pay went up, and for other stupid crap like this.

Even if it is the tech's fault, I would be hesitant to write them up unless I personally think that their customer service is crappy and have already attempted to address the issue. Writing people up out of the blue isn't at all professional and it hurts moral.

As for staff pharmacists, I don't see any reason to ever write them up unless they deliberately break laws/company policy. Simply talking to the person to address the issue is both more professional and probably just as effective.

The way I view it is you don't write someone up for doing something wrong, you write someone up for continuing to do something wrong. If you damage your relationship with your staff and co-workers how do you expect this to have a positive impact on the pharmacy?

Just because a tech gets a customer complaint doesn't mean you instantly write them up. People have complained to corporate because they were out of refills and we didn't tell them until they tried to refill it (try reading the bottle), because their co-pay went up, and for other stupid crap like this.

Even if it is the tech's fault, I would be hesitant to write them up unless I personally think that their customer service is crappy and have already attempted to address the issue. Writing people up out of the blue isn't at all professional and it hurts moral.

As for staff pharmacists, I don't see any reason to ever write them up unless they deliberately break laws/company policy. Simply talking to the person to address the issue is both more professional and probably just as effective.

The way I view it is you don't write someone up for doing something wrong, you write someone up for continuing to do something wrong. If you damage your relationship with your staff and co-workers how do you expect this to have a positive impact on the pharmacy?

I don't write up staff pharmacists for customer complaints. I write them up for gross violations of policy that could affect me where I need to document that conversations happened to protect myself. The two write ups I have done for staff RPhs have been failing to conduct a narcotic inventory on the required date and failing to log temperatures on the vaccine fridge.

And in my store staff RPhs can absolutely write up techs and are encouraged to do so when appropriate so that it's not on my olate.

Write ups for not doing the temperature log and being late on a C2 count!? Please tell me you are trolling. No way should either one of those been a write up. Thank god you are not my boss. Well, you wouldn't be for long at any rate.

Write ups for not doing the temperature log and being late on a C2 count!? Please tell me you are trolling. No way should either one of those been a write up. Thank god you are not my boss. Well, you wouldn't be for long at any rate.

Repeated issues gone on for weeks after multiple conversations. Definitely not a one time thing.

if they write u up, and u don't sign it. does it matter? as a union member they say to have a union rep with you if they ask to sign anything that affects your job.

Having a staff pharmacist to write up? What a luxury

if they write u up, and u don't sign it. does it matter? as a union member they say to have a union rep with you if they ask to sign anything that affects your job.
I was told the write up is still valid whether signed or not. Signing is merely an acknowledgement of the discussion taking place, not necessarily that you agree. If the person who is issued the write up refuses you sign the PIC or issuer simply writes "refused to sign" and it's still logged into your personal file.