Having a dog in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revolver1045

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Kinda out of left field, but does anyone have experience having a dog in medical school? Particularly people that are single or were single while taking care of one. Im not single now, but I'm thinking worst case scenario just in case. Thanks.

R

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think dogs can go to med school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: having a dog while attending medical school.

People have kids in med school. You can handle a dog if you make sure you make it a part of your day. Do not neglect the dog!

do you already have a dog or are you thinking about getting one?

either way
what type of dog ???

:D

I hear that if you're going to get a pet during medical school, a cat is the better way to go.
They are extremely independent and won't mind as much if you're gone for longer periods of time.

I don't have any pets currently, but my friend is a vet student and has a dog. She says it's a lot of work, especially if it's a puppy. I think if you're going to get a dog, you just need to be really committed to making sure that it gets the adequate attention it deserves. That means being around to take it on walks twice a day, feed it, play with it, etc. Not only that, you'd have to willing to find a sitter if you need to be away for extended periods of time (i.e. rotations, etc).

Like I said, it'll be a lot of work, but if you're dead set on it, you just have to diligent. :)

Idk about a dog in med school. I would feel bad about the possible neglect. A cat? Yeah they are usually independent little creatures anyway, but a dog? And where will you live? A dog could cramp your ability for housing (I personally don't think it's fair to have a ginormous dog in an apartment). Have you had a dog before? Will you be able to afford the random vet bills? What about food, leisure time, "doggie sitting"?

Sure people have kids in med school, but these kids are usually with a cooperative sig other.

Just my opinion

I have 2. I wouldn't get 1 because of attention issues. With 2 they can entertain each other when I am busy. It works well. Small breeds that can tire themselves out running around a living room are better. And smarter breeds or those known to be easier to train.

Sweet thanks for the input. As far as having dogs before yes I've had some, but when I moved out the dogs seemed to want to stay with my parents and since they have a big yard and a lake I let them (and they were big dogs).

I'd like to have a cat, but severe allergies puts the kibosh on that.

I like the idea of having two so they can entertain each other. I'll by no means neglect them, I know and understand how much attention dogs need. I'm thinking about getting 2 French bulldogs this summer or in early fall which is about a year before matriculation (fingers crossed I get in). That's why i was curious about whether or not it's doable - going to me school and managing a couple of hounds.

I've always wanted an English bulldog named Hank.

You'll be putting in long hours at school and studying. You might be able to take care of the dog but it really won't get the attention it deserves. I wouldn't get one. But if you have a spouse, then it would be better

You'll be putting in long hours at school and studying. You might be able to take care of the dog but it really won't get the attention it deserves. I wouldn't get one. But if you have a spouse, then it would be better

Have you ever handled or worked with hunting dogs?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about one of those robotic dogs you can buy at radio shack?

Sweet thanks for the input. As far as having dogs before yes I've had some, but when I moved out the dogs seemed to want to stay with my parents and since they have a big yard and a lake I let them (and they were big dogs).

I'd like to have a cat, but severe allergies puts the kibosh on that.

I like the idea of having two so they can entertain each other. I'll by no means neglect them, I know and understand how much attention dogs need. I'm thinking about getting 2 French bulldogs this summer or in early fall which is about a year before matriculation (fingers crossed I get in). That's why i was curious about whether or not it's doable - going to me school and managing a couple of hounds.

Don't get a bulldog- they have lots of health and genetic problems. As med student, you will have neither the time nor the money to deal with dogs with health problems.

Does taking care of a dog in undergrad count as clinical experience because you can smell it?

/thread

I think it depends on a number of factors. If you go to a school with required lecture, I would advise against it. If you go to a school that records lectures and were planning on being home to study a lot anyway, I think a dog is fine. If you know you have to study in the library and can't do it at home, don't get a dog. If you know you want to get involved in a lot of activities outside of class, don't get a dog. You just have to plan in advance what is important to you. There are dog breeds that are pretty lazy and don't require much extra work. But you could still get an active dog if you want to exercise with your dog a lot and are willing to make time for walks or runs.

Sorry to interject, but what are you trying to say here?

What those dogs lack in interaction is more than made up for by a strong purpose & drive. It's not like a hunting dog is going to have his/her needs fulfilled somehow by sitting around in an apartment alone or even with another dog. Their stimulation comes from the hunt & the freedom that comes with it.

I'm just saying kennel time is very likely to be comparable.
And I think my use of the word "interaction" instead of "attention" covered any technicalities you are trying to bring into this

I have 3 dogs. Granted I am married and my wife takes care of them when I cant. Ive loved having my dogs in med school...huge stress reliever. Just make sure you have a support system to take care of that dog when you cant...bc there will be times in ur med school career that you wont be able to.

Last edited: