Having a "visitor" early on...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Treehun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the second week of M1 Year I will be having a visitor for a few weeks....am I going to be so busy that I won't be able to entertain my guest?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't want to fall behind, but the beginning isn't usually terribly busy. Make sure you find a balance between getting your work done and spending time with your visitor.

If your "visitor" is a cat... Yes you will be fine.

If your "visitor" is you are having a baby, you will need help.

Soo, what are we talking about here?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol perhaps I shouldn't of been so vague...my gf.
I'm a little worried she will be bored out of her mind, then I will be too busy to do somthing fun with her

Our curriculum started off slowly for the first month or so and then it kicked it up a notch after that

Just pick a set time each night to stop studying, and spend a few hours with her. M1 shouldn't be an 80-hour/week job if you're doing it right.

Reactions: 1 users
You should make very clear to your guest that your studies come first, and you can't drop everything to play host or be tour-guide. Med students need to be a bit selfish in this regard.

During the second week of M1 Year I will be having a visitor for a few weeks....am I going to be so busy that I won't be able to entertain my guest?

Reactions: 7 users
I believe that the first two sections at my school had the highest number of students needing to remediate. The big problem for a lot of students is not knowing how to study in a high yield clinically oriented way. For most people at my school, the first two sections are the "boot camp" that teaches you how to be a student....I would reach out to current students to see how your curriculum approaches the beginning of first year

Reactions: 2 users
Lol. A) you will be fine B) its April...stop worrying about August.

So we're just starting threads on everything now huh

but the beginning isn't usually terribly busy.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but for me and many of my classmates the first 3-4 weeks of 1st year were the busiest we've ever been. It took me a month to figure out how to study, and in that first month I was nothing but overwhelmed and constantly trying to catch up. Every day was 10-14 hours. Now it's about 5-6 hours except for when a block exam is coming up. I wouldn't do the first month of medical school over again if someone paid me. Absolutely brutal.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, first couple weeks are bad times for visitors or distractions. A month or two in is actually better despite having a lot more work to do, but getting into the mode of studying that the first two years of med school requires a couple weeks of calibration.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but for me and many of my classmates the first 3-4 weeks of 1st year were the busiest we've ever been. It took me a month to figure out how to study, and in that first month I was nothing but overwhelmed and constantly trying to catch up. Every day was 10-14 hours. Now it's about 5-6 hours except for when a block exam is coming up. I wouldn't do the first month of medical school over again if someone paid me. Absolutely brutal.

I think it's probably also a bit school/curriculum dependent

I think it's probably also a bit school/curriculum dependent

I agree 100%. We had an "intro" week where we only had anatomy before starting our other two classes. But compared to what a friend of mine at another COM went through, they threw us into the lake day 1 and told us to swim.

I had a similar experience; the first 8 weeks of med school were the most brutal weeks of my life. I think you'll be fine if she visits, understands you need to study, and you spend an hour or two at night with her each day. If you drop everything to entertain her, you'll regret it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh golly :( thanks for replys all....seems like I wont be any fun to hang out with.

What the hell is this ****?