Having issues with motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadcam23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm D1 and I kind of feel burnt out already and I haven't even had my first exams. I'm tired of studying. I worked really hard in undergrad to get here and now that I am here I so tired of memorizing information and stressing about exams. I feel like everyone around me is working harder than me, more motivated, while I am completely deflated. The only thing motivating me is that I don't want to go through the embarrassment of failing and I don't want to be a ****y dentist but my motivation is super low at this point. I haven't studied too much so I will probably not do well on my first exams, I'm just trying to stay above water at this point.

Its complicated by more heavy personal issues that are really making me depressed about life in general.

I guess this is a bit of a blog post, but I wanted to know if anyone struggled their first year with motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

In a few years you'll be driving Maserati's, dating models, wearing Gucci, etc.

Also, remember its just 2 years of those obnoxious science classes. Before you know it, youll be in dental lab doing interesting things.

Very funny. Is that how premeds are imagining the life of a dentist?
You are just adjusting to a new life, it will get better. Your school should have psychiatrist, who consults students. Get help

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey OP

I understand what you mean. I don't have any personal issues going on with my life right now, but I am having a hard time finding motivation too. My thinking is that I am already in dental school and I don't really look to specialize. Since it's still D1, most my of classmates are trying really hard to specialize and its kinda off-putting. Like you said, the motivation right now is just trying to stay above the water. I think that's a good start. For me, I am shifting my attitude more on learning the course material because I need to as a dentist and not because I need the A. Going at my own pace gives me more control and a better piece of mind. I think if you can get closure for your personal issues first, the motivation for school will come along with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Very funny. Is that how premeds are imagining the life of a dentist?
You are just adjusting to a new life, it will get better. Your school should have psychiatrist, who consults students. Get help
my bro is a dentist!! he's a total player

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I also do not want to specialize. I know I have the intelligence to specialize but basically I feel you have to be "all together" as a person to really do the whole perfect gpa thing and my life is pretty much a mess, I can't find the needed focus and motivation. I am perfectly content with not doing so, I really just want a solid job that is fulfilling and I can be proud of. Part of the reason I am freaking out now is that I didn't really try to keep up with most of the material. I did what I had to for the day to day but I wasn't studying every night after classes and stuff. Now its crunch time, and I'm doubting myself. Its just a weird feeling like I had 22 Dat and 3.8 gpa going in and now its just.... I want to relax more and I can't and its stressful.

I'm D1 and I kind of feel burnt out already and I haven't even had my first exams. I'm tired of studying. I worked really hard in undergrad to get here and now that I am here I so tired of memorizing information and stressing about exams. I feel like everyone around me is working harder than me, more motivated, while I am completely deflated. The only thing motivating me is that I don't want to go through the embarrassment of failing and I don't want to be a ****y dentist but my motivation is super low at this point. I haven't studied too much so I will probably not do well on my first exams, I'm just trying to stay above water at this point.

Its complicated by more heavy personal issues that are really making me depressed about life in general.

I guess this is a bit of a blog post, but I wanted to know if anyone struggled their first year with motivation.

I can get you completely fired up and motivated within 3 hours if you want.

Go here and watch this playlist 3 times in a row:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYzEWmEmHyL-8LfXf5PkTzFiIggMWrDZD

And then every morning when you wake up and are commuting to school or are waxing models, put in your earphones and listen to it.

Also, I find that realizing how fortunate I am in life gives me a motivational boost as well. Just think about how there are millions of people starving out there who just want a shot at a good life. Think about the homeless. It will be a really humbling experience; it always reminds me how good I've got it and motivates me to work harder and take full advantage of the opportunities I have.

Yes I also do not want to specialize. I know I have the intelligence to specialize but basically I feel you have to be "all together" as a person to really do the whole perfect gpa thing and my life is pretty much a mess, I can't find the needed focus and motivation. I am perfectly content with not doing so, I really just want a solid job that is fulfilling and I can be proud of. Part of the reason I am freaking out now is that I didn't really try to keep up with most of the material. I did what I had to for the day to day but I wasn't studying every night after classes and stuff. Now its crunch time, and I'm doubting myself. Its just a weird feeling like I had 22 Dat and 3.8 gpa going in and now its just.... I want to relax more and I can't and its stressful.

I 100% know what you're going through. I call it "Complacency Failure"- basically, the pattern is as follows:
1. You have a hunger/drive for something (i.e. dental school acceptance)
2. You slave over the goal day and night trying to get in.
3. You achieve your goal- you feel thrilled and happy
4. You get complacent during your success and lose motivation. This leads to a downturn/failure.

I know this because I've been through this cycle first hand.

The trick to getting out of failure/downturn/lack of motivation is to reignite the original reason why you had a hunger/drive (aka go back to step 1).
And it can't be extrinsic motivation like $$, cars, etc. It has to be something from the inside.

For me, it's this driving force to give back to my community by providing healthcare for those who lack access to it. Every time I think about them and how lucky I am to have this shot, it gives me the kick in the butt I need to get up and go work hard. Find your cause, and harness its power.

Motivation is everything.

The hardest I ever studied was for that first exam in gross anatomy. After that, my motivation went from "I'm going to be an endodontist one day" to "IDGAF". D1 year as a whole is pretty bland, in my opinion. It was very hard for me to study for classes that I already took in undergrad (histo, biochem, etc).

Now I'm a D2, which is supposedly the hardest year of schooling. And I suddenly find my motivation has improved. Not because I care more about my grades, but because the classes I'm taking (dentures, oral path) are SO much more interesting than any D1 classes. It is so much easier to study when you really like the subject you're studying.

Keep your chin up. It's a common feeling, trust me. I believe somewhere around 15% of dental students go on to specialize (don't quote me on that - that's just the statistic from my school). So a lot of those gunners are going to work their asses off for 4 years only to be disappointed in the end. If you don't want to specialize, don't worry about anyone else but yourself.

As long as you make an effort to be the best provider you can be to your patients, your grades don't matter.

Take creatine. Im 100% serious. Take it regardless of whether or not you workout (though you really should be at least 3x a wk).

I started taking it daily a few weeks ago and it was a night and day difference, no exaggeration. I kept getting tired fast early on in the day and I was less willing to do things in general b/c these new stresses in life were draining my energy stores/motivation. Creatine helps a ton with mood and giving you easy access to much more (mental and physical) energy whenever you need it.

Try it, there are absolutely no negative sides to taking creatine.

Report back after you try it for a few days.

Last edited:
Take creatine. Im 100% serious. Take it regardless of whether or not you workout (though you really should be at least 3x a wk).

I started taking it daily a few weeks ago and it was a night and day difference, no exaggeration. I kept getting tired fast early on in the day and I was less willing to do things in general b/c these new stresses in life were draining my energy stores/motivation. Creatine helps a ton with mood and giving you easy access to much more (mental and physical) energy whenever you need it.

Try it, there are absolutely no negative sides to taking creatine.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/460943-side-effects-of-stopping-creatine/

I personally am against any sort of supplement though- I believe in Yoga, early morning runs, healthy eating, and getting an 8 hour sleep each night no matter what. To me, nothing supersedes personal health and happiness.

And you know what? I have gone through high school and college (incl. Ochem) without ever drinking coffee/tea/caffeine or pulling an all-nighter, and I've done well for myself.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/460943-side-effects-of-stopping-creatine/

I personally am against any sort of supplement though- I believe in Yoga, early morning runs, healthy eating, and getting an 8 hour sleep each night no matter what. To me, nothing supersedes personal health and happiness.

And you know what? I have gone through high school and college (incl. Ochem) without ever drinking coffee/tea/caffeine or pulling an all-nighter, and I've done well for myself.
Yeah like I said, creatine has absolutely no negative side effects.

1) Fatigue: stop taking creatine and youll go back to feeling the same way you did before you started taking it. Not worse but back to normal, whatever that was for you.

2) muscle weakness: duh less creatine in your muscles the weaker your muscles will be. Stop taking creatine and your muscle strength will go back to what it was before, though if you built a lot of muscle by working out, youll still retain a some of that strength improvement when off creatine.

3) weight loss: again duh dude. Creatine increases water retention in your muscles. So if you stop taking creatine guess what happens? You stop retaining that extra water weight. Logic 101.

4) decreased creatine production: """ there is no evidence that suggests creatine supplementation will cause permanent damage to the organs that synthesize creatine""" from your own source.

Creatine is not a steroid like you seem to think, it is the safest supplement to take. Far more safer than any mult-vitamin you may be taking. I never drink coffee or pull all-nighters either and I do take great care of my body too, your point? You could be a hippy who doesnt know better if you want but do try to do a little more research and critical thinking next time.

I dont mean to sound like Im bashing you specifically, nothing personal, I just find it annoying/tiring dealing with people who dont know what theyre talking about speak with the utmost confidence.

Yeah like I said, creatine has absolutely no negative side effects.

1) Fatigue: stop taking creatine and youll go back to feeling the same way you did before you started taking it. Not worse but back to normal, whatever that was for you.

2) muscle weakness: duh less creatine in your muscles the weaker your muscles will be. Stop taking creatine and your muscle strength will go back to what it was before, though if you built a lot of muscle by working out, youll still retain a some of that strength improvement when off creatine.

3) weight loss: again duh dude. Creatine increases water retention in your muscles. So if you stop taking creatine guess what happens? You stop retaining that extra water weight. Logic 101.

4) decreased creatine production: """ there is no evidence that suggests creatine supplementation will cause permanent damage to the organs that synthesize creatine""" from your own source.

Creatine is not a steroid like you seem to think, it is the safest supplement to take. Far more safer than any mult-vitamin you may be taking. I never drink coffee or pull all-nighters either and I do take great care of my body too, your point? You could be a hippy who doesnt know better if you want but do try to do a little more research and critical thinking next time.

I dont mean to sound like Im bashing you specifically, nothing personal, I just find it annoying/tiring dealing with people who dont know what theyre talking about speak with the utmost confidence.

You said there are "absolutely no negative side effects." Negative side effect is a subjective term. For some, shifting to a lower level of energy after having been on Creatine for four years of dental school will absolutely be noticeable and will be negative. For others, it might not. But it's up to the person who takes the supplement to make that call. Same applies to muscle weakness, weight loss, etc. You can say there are no negative side effects all you want, but what you might find "duh" and "Logic 101" could be something someone else finds to be a negative/inconvenient change.

For someone who propagates the ideals of "critical thinking," you should read my post again carefully, as I never called Creatine a "steroid" nor did I say that I think it is such. Yet you seem all too willing to paint anyone who doesn't agree with taking supplements as a "hippy." Nice "critical thinking" skills you have.

As for my "point" with sharing my routine of Yoga/Healthy Eating/No overnights/Enough Sleep/No caffeine- It's simply to share with the OP an alternate way to gain energy/motivation. Just like you did. You got a problem with that? If you want to descend into personal attacks then completely contradict yourself and backpedal saying "I dont mean to sound like Im bashing you specifically" then I just have no words for you.

Lastly, you say that "I just find it annoying/tiring dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about speak with the utmost confidence"- guess what? Many of your future patients will be like that. You're going to be snappy with them too? Or you going to ban them from your practice? Good luck to you as a provider.

Members don't see this ad :)
You said there are "absolutely no negative side effects." Negative side effect is a subjective term. For some, shifting to a lower level of energy after having been on Creatine for four years of dental school will absolutely be noticeable and will be negative. For others, it might not. But it's up to the person who takes the supplement to make that call. Same applies to muscle weakness, weight loss, etc. You can say there are no negative side effects all you want, but what you might find "duh" and "Logic 101" could be something someone else finds to be a negative/inconvenient change.

For someone who propagates the ideals of "critical thinking," you should read my post again carefully, as I never called Creatine a "steroid" nor did I say that I think it is such. Yet you seem all too willing to paint anyone who doesn't agree with taking supplements as a "hippy." Nice "critical thinking" skills you have.

As for my "point" with sharing my routine of Yoga/Healthy Eating/No overnights/Enough Sleep/No caffeine- It's simply to share with the OP an alternate way to gain energy/motivation. Just like you did. You got a problem with that? If you want to descend into personal attacks then completely contradict yourself and backpedal saying "I dont mean to sound like Im bashing you specifically" then I just have no words for you.

Lastly, you say that "I just find it annoying/tiring dealing with people who don't know what they're talking about speak with the utmost confidence"- guess what? Many of your future patients will be like that. You're going to be snappy with them too? Or you going to ban them from your practice? Good luck to you as a provider.
reading comprehension thats all.

How is it that every time I see you post something, it often descends into argument about personal attacks?

How is it that every time I see you post something, it often descends into argument about personal attacks?

I mean I do a ton of posting in the pre-dental threads that go very well/without argument, but take your pick from the following answers:

1. People on SDN are passionate about what they believe in- when they are passionate about something, things can go a little too far
2. This is an anonymous forum; as such, many threads develop arguments?
3. You're just a bad luck charm and every time you set your eyes on a thread, it spontaneously descends into arguments?

Last edited:
@cacazor
@Incis0r

YwkDIMS.png

Reactions: 3 users
Hey OP! I'm a D1 too and find keeping up with the material on a daily basis really does help. Even just skimming the lectures after class or even later in the day. I like to sleep...a lot so these 7am-4pm classes are horrible but me and my roomies usually come home for lunch since we live really close and watch tv to relax a little so it breaks the day up nicely before heading back to lectures. After lecture we come straight home and I take a nap for 30 mins-1 hr and then I'm ready to focus. I either hit the library or stay home but I find I study better at library. For me repetition is key so if I see the material at least 3 times before a test or quiz I know I'll remember it. I see it once during lecture, once when I review later that day and another time to make charts. The charts are just short one page consolidations for each lecture so I can put them together as a super quick study guide. I think those help the most. Don't forget to relax and take breaks and work hard so you can reward yourself too! Good luck!

I was exactly like this as a D1. I think you have to just realize that unfortunately you are stuck here for 4 years. But here is the thing that should motivate you/scare you: If you do not have a solid understanding, you are going to struggle in the upcoming years of dental school. Trust me, it is a lot worse having to pain through something because you don't know your stuff. Try to just learn as much as possible. I tried to just scrape by my 1st year, and it has screwed me later on (particularly in your dental classes). Better to have a very good understanding so you can take things lightly and enjoy yourself later on than to have to struggle through stuff that should be easy in your 2nd/3rd/4th year because you have a weak foundation from 1st year woes.

Try also to make sure you do enjoy yourself and occasionaly splurge on some good food. Take frequent naps btwn your study sessions to keep you energized. Stay off the internet/FB.

Good luck!

I was exactly like this as a D1. I think you have to just realize that unfortunately you are stuck here for 4 years. But here is the thing that should motivate you/scare you: If you do not have a solid understanding, you are going to struggle in the upcoming years of dental school. Trust me, it is a lot worse having to pain through something because you don't know your stuff. Try to just learn as much as possible. I tried to just scrape by my 1st year, and it has screwed me later on (particularly in your dental classes). Better to have a very good understanding so you can take things lightly and enjoy yourself later on than to have to struggle through stuff that should be easy in your 2nd/3rd/4th year because you have a weak foundation from 1st year woes.

Try also to make sure you do enjoy yourself and occasionaly splurge on some good food. Take frequent naps btwn your study sessions to keep you energized. Stay off the internet/FB.

Good luck!
dat avatar doe

Good luck!

what do u use post D1 that you need from D1? I get the impression from my school that its pretty much just lab work and dental related classes after D1 is over. They make it seem like its not really related outside of boards.

Milecyrus: So I've already decided I am going to put more effort in. This little crisis has not been fun and I think even if I have less "free time" the knowledge that I have a good understanding will make it worth it in terms of quality of life. Hopefully I pass this first wave so I re-strategize and start doing things the right way. As for now.... cramming....

Staying off the internet is a challenge. Also I'm sort of starving myself right now to lose weight lol, so I can't rely on food rewards.

I am a bit surprised by your response though. I assumed a lot of the gross anatomy will not be very relevant past the boards. The anatomy is killing me.

Good luck!

Just wondering how you managed with your first round exams and if you found a strategy to get back on course. I went through a similar thing in my D1 year where I was overwhelmed with quantity of information being hurled at me. I remember skipping some days and just vegging out in front of the tv because I had so much to learn and no idea how I could learn it; that helplessness stripped me of all my motivation. In undergrad I always just read the text book, but in dental school the texts are excessive and by and large if you focus on them you're going to be throwing your hands up in frustration. I got 2 big tips from upperclassmen that got me on track during that time:

1) Study from the power points! Record and review more challenging lectures with the ppts. I had to do this for anatomy and it's the only reason i got an A in that class. I'd literally go home that night and listen to the 3 hour lecture and make notes on the ppt. If you take good notes in class you may not have to bother with the recording but I found paying attention in the lecture and then listening to it and annotating the ppt later helped me internalize the info, so come test time I could review the lecture in 10-15 mins and have it down pat, if I needed to review at all.

2) Get a schedule in place for studying! Sorry if this sounds obvious but I really never had to do this in undergrad and it helped me so much in dental school! I'd break each subject down into how many lectures I needed to cover before my next test, so if I knew that I had 9 anatomy lectures to cover before my exam in 4 days, I should be trying to k.o at least 3 lectures a day over the next 3 days so I could be ready for the exam on the 4th day. This gave me little wins, so each day I could tick off my 3 lectures and be proud of myself for staying on track without stressing out over the other 6 I still had to cover. Again sorry if it sounds dumb or obvious, but it helped me re-frame my classes and made everything feel much more manageable so I thought I'd share.

Lastly focus on the end goal. You're going to be frustrated alot over the next 4 years and if you think it's bad now just wait until you have to contend with clinics and all the aggravations that they will bring. Just remember what you're working toward. You're in an exciting, satisfying profession where you get to better people's lives and make a nice chunk of change in the process and you were chosen because the selection committee at your school said "this person can take a beating and grit on through." Ultimately that's all dental school is my friend, so take your beating so you can start having a blast on the other side :) .

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I must admit I'm experiencing a little bit of this into my D2 year now. It's just the daily grind of lecture, lab, exam, repeat that takes a toll on you. I like the idea of just doing your best to stay above water because that's exactly what it is!