Hawaii Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here know anything about the 4 PGY1 hospital pharmacy residency in hawaii? lol I never thought about it till recently, and from what I read about the program, sound pretty cool... just wondering if any "mainlanders" ever applied to em and how competitive they are, I may give em a try :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here know anything about the 4 PGY1 hospital pharmacy residency in hawaii? lol I never thought about it till recently, and from what I read about the program, sound pretty cool... just wondering if any "mainlanders" ever applied to em and how competitive they are, I may give em a try :idea:

Will be really expensive to fly out there for an interview.

Univ of Hawaii now has graduates...I am guessing most of them are your main competition. Although a year living in paradise sounds appealing to many...I think it is just expensive to live there and they don't have any big name hospitals, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah money is a big factor, although I really don't spent much beside food and gym membership lol theTripler Army Medical Center was the one with most info I can find and seems pretty cool.... i don't really care for big name hospitals....don't think I'm competitive enough for those anyways lol

Just looked at my list again, I need to trim it down and non of my choices are anywhere near where I live if I do get interviews going to cost me tons!

yeah money is a big factor, although I really don't spent much beside food and gym membership lol theTripler Army Medical Center was the one with most info I can find and seems pretty cool.... i don't really care for big name hospitals....don't think I'm competitive enough for those anyways lol

Just looked at my list again, I need to trim it down and non of my choices are anywhere near where I live if I do get interviews going to cost me tons!
If you don't think your competitive at the local civilian hospitals in Hawaii, what makes you think you would be competitive at Tripler? Do you think the Army has a bunch of dumb***** working for them?

If you don't think your competitive at the local civilian hospitals in Hawaii, what makes you think you would be competitive at Tripler? Do you think the Army has a bunch of dumb***** working for them?

what the f? calm down lol when did I say they are not competitive? thats why I made this thread to ask about how competitive are the residency in hawaii cause I never hear people talk about flying all the way out there for residencies, and the only reason I mentioned tripler b/c they had the most info on their website and sounded interesting...don't get your panties up in a bunch

My friend actually had an interview last year for a residency program in Hawaii but she did the interview in Los Angeles~ Hope that helps

Im a P4 in Hawaii... the Queen's Medical Center residency is the best here. They are the largest hospital, most acute patients (5 ICUs), transplant, etc. The only thing they do not have is a amb care service. Tripler is OK, but they are off schedule (start in Oct) and you only learn in the DOD system, so much of what they do isnt applicable outside of their system. Flights to HI are NOT expensive right now, so if you get a offer, I think its not to bad to come out. Kaiser is a heavy Amb care residency, so if you like that then they are great. Feel free to pvt msg me for more info..