Hawaii VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueslily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering looking for psychologists positions at the VA in Hawaii in a couple years. Currently working at a VA that I like but just want a geographical change in a couple years. So, for the past 6 months, I have been browsing postings periodically. I haven't seen any openings at the VA. I've seen Army postings, but I don't want them. Anyone know anything about the Hawaii VA?

I'm guessing on one hand, it's competitive,. But on the other hand it might not be super appealing to move your family all the way there. I recall seeing postings twice I think, but those were easily over a year ago.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about the Hawaii VA, but I know my VISN is on a pretty tight hiring freeze despite having over a dozen positions open. Might explain the lack of job postings..

I don't know anything about the Hawaii VA, but I know my VISN is on a pretty tight hiring freeze despite having over a dozen positions open. Might explain the lack of job postings..

It may have more to do with lack of turnover. Hawaii doesn't strike me as place that many people leave after a few years, and the opportunities for psychologists are likely limited there. Thus, turnover is very low.

It could also simply be due to the financial situation of that particular VA. Some VAs are better fiscally managed than others. We have not hired a psychologist here in about 2 years and don't have anything on the horizon for next year either. Reason: We don't have any money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I still have interest in applying for positions at the VA in Hawaii. Anyone have experience there? Heavy on research or not? I undrrstand that a freeze was just announced, but thats not applicable for this inquiry.

Reactions: 1 user
It's actually VA PIHCS, not VA PHICS ...

It's not heavy on research, at least among psychologists (some medical research occurs among MDs). As for any VA positions, I would recommend signing up for e-mail alerts on usajobs.gov Jobs do get posted on there. I think there was one for the Vet Center a few weeks ago. Also free feel to message me if you have more specific questions.

It's actually VA PIHCS, not VA PHICS ...

It's not heavy on research, at least among psychologists (some medical research occurs among MDs). As for any VA positions, I would recommend signing up for e-mail alerts on usajobs.gov Jobs do get posted on there. I think there was one for the Vet Center a few weeks ago. Also free feel to message me if you have more specific questions.

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, I saw the Vet Center posting recently. That was the first psychologist position that I had seen in more than 6 months, maybe in a year. I have seen Dept of Army positions for psychologists, but not Dept of Veterans Affairs. Yes, I receive email alerts from UsaJobs.gov. Thanks for the info about research.