HBV or HCV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
question...this is killing me depending on the sources i use and the profs that lecture.

which one is more associated with liver cancer (HCC) hep B or Hep C ?
I always thought it was HCV, however, i guess HBV is more common in asians and AA and somehow is more assoc with HCC some books say?

any consensus????????????????

thanks

confused

Members don't see this ad.

From the cdc website:
"Hepatitis B infection causes some 316,000 cases of liver cancer (60% of all liver cancer) a year worldwide (103,104). While hepatitis C causes a further 118,000 cases (22% of all cases) a year (103,104), some cases result from infections with both viruses "

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol4no3/cassell.htm

This number will probably be changing pretty rapidly with universal hep b vaccinations though.

As I have been told: "we have a vaccine that could prevent more cancer than anything else developed."

He was speaking of the HepB vaccine and the epidemic of hepatocellular carcinoma in Asia that is a direct result of HepB infection. It seems more likely that HepC would cause cancer, due to the fact that it is more likely to become chronically infective, but more cases are caused by HepB.