Headache Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to see what your collective thoughts were on with regards to this type of fellowship. Is it worth pursuing or an ultimate waste of a year? Competitiveness? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The idea of headache fellowship is to fill in the gaps during your general neurology residency. All residencies have their strengths and weaknesses. One of my program strengths was heavy emphasis on headache medicine, thus, we performed numerous nerve blocks and botox procedures before graduating residency while the sister program up the street did not.

Also, a great deal of programs place emphasis on advanced treatments that you just won't see as a resident, for example, lidocaine or ketamine infusions. Of course, research is integral to any neurology fellowship in any area.

Competitiveness depends on which institution. Mayo, Jefferson, Montiefore fill early while some programs do not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a FM resident in my final year.
I read that some programs take FM residents. Generally, do all take or only a certain few?

I'd like to learn more about the medications and interventional techniques.

I'm a FM resident in my final year.
I read that some programs take FM residents. Generally, do all take or only a certain few?

I'd like to learn more about the medications and interventional techniques.
Some of the "Gods" of headache medicine have been primary care doctors>
Seymour Diamond
Roger Cady
Fred Freitag
Etc etc etc

The programs that I know of off hand that accept primary care doctors are Jefferson, Scott and White, Baylor and probably a rash of others. My advice would be, go to the UCNS website where the fellowships are listed. New ones are being developed every year! If you click through the links on the fellowship programs, you can read as to which ones are restricted to neurology only.