Headin' to NSUCOM.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. I just got my acceptance letter from NSUCOM today (my first choice -- woo hoo!). So I now know where I will be studying medicine next year. Anyone going to NSUCOM with me?

Gregory Gulick
http://www.ostepathic.com/gregory

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATULATIONS! I can't think of a more deserving person. I'm out-of-state but I hope I'll hear next week. So was it a big or small envelope?

BIG envelope! It has to be... to carry such good news. ;-)

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! It has been enjoyable to keep up with the postings and see where folks are at in the process...you have been extremely helpful in providing answers and direction - thank you.

Less than a year ago I was questioning whether or not it would really work out. This week I received an acceptance from my first choice school as well. Note: I am convinced that it can happen to anyone!

[This message has been edited by Dena (edited 12-11-98).]

CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Congratulations Gregory! I know you really
wanted to go there. I may even see you down there next year!

Mack

Congrats on the "fat" envelope!!! I hope to have the opportunity to join you guys there next time around.

I just got accepted to NSUCOM as well. Congratulations!!!

NSUCOM Guys,

How far away from the beach is your medical school? Ft. Lauderdale sounds like a nice place, I bet it is going to get hard for you guys to study sometimes. Congrats all, especially my buddy Gregory. With hard work and patience, his dream has come true! Look forward to calling you guys fellow medical students in August!

EDGAR

Well,

I got the thin envelope from Nova.

I have been classified as an "Alternate" for
the 1999 entering class. So if you have
multiple acceptances and are trying to pick
between Nova and another school choose the
other school;-)

Anyone else get the alternate status at Nova?
What are the chances of getting in of of the
alternate list. I feel so frustrated at this
point I don't know what to do. And to top it all off I got a Christmas card with my alternate list letter. Its like they are trying to say: Merry Christmas and by the way you may not find out until July or August if you are in. Don't get me wrong, the card was a nice gesture, but I think that it came at an inopportune time.

Premed1

PS: Sorry for sounding so bitter, but I had to vent.

[This message has been edited by premed1 (edited 12-14-98).]

Congrats Gregory! I know how long you've been waiting to hear from Nova. All of your hard work has paid off. Enjoy the elation!

Stef

Premed1, as an alternate this early in the process I'd say you have a pretty good chance of getting in. The admissions director once told me that they go through about 50% of their alternate list and the people they choose off the alternate list are the ones that WANT to go to NSUCOM. So, if I were placed on the alternate list, I would write them a letter thanking them for the consideration and stating that I am still VERY interested in attending NSUCOM and then give a personal reason for wanting to attend there.

So that's what I would do. Is it the "right" thing to do? I don't know -- but this is the action I would take if I was on the alternate list.

Good luck... and don't give up hope. Your chances are still pretty good!!

Gregory Gulick

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 12-14-98).]

LIFE IS GREAT! Yes, I got accepted to NSUCOM today!!! I guess I'll be studying with you next year Gregory (and Jay). I can't wait -- see you guys in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gregory,
I don't know you but I just found out I was accepted to Nova and it was my first choice as well! I look very forward to meeting you and my other classmates. Do you live in Florida now?
Brooke

Congratulations Brooke! Welcome to the NSUCOM entering class of 1999. So far Gregory, Jay, me, and you are in (off this thread). Has anyone looked into housing in the area yet?

Brooke... Yep, I live in Florida now. And I love it! I wouldn't want to leave for anything (especially since my whole family is here too). I love how it is December and I went outside yesterday in shorts, sandals and a straw hat. ;-)

I'll see you there!

Gregory Gulick

I'm going to go check out the housing next week since I'm on break. I'm hoping the costs aren't going to be too high. Do any of you know about that yet?

I'm on break right now too. However, I'm working full time during the holiday season. Let me know when you guys are gonna be out and about. Perhaps we can get together and get aquainted.

I'm going to try and head down to Ft. Lauderdale next week if I can to look at apartments.

As far as getting together, I was thinking before classes start in the fall (i.e., after we've all moved down there and gotten settled) we might want to have dinner the night before classes start.

My e-mail address is [email protected]. Feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Gregory Gulick

I would love to get together with you guys and see with whom I am going to be toiling for the next few years. I am going to try to go down next week as well. By the way, when did you all have your interviews? Mine was on Nov. 6th.

Dinner the night before classes start sounds good to me. Count me in. I'm out-of-state so keep me posted on what the housing situation is if you can.

I'M IN!!!

Hey everyone heading to NSUCOM, I got my acceptance letter today!

Looks like I'll have the privilege of studying with an outstanding group of fellow students. Finally all the work has paid off.

Please be sure to post when and where for the dinner prior to classes. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Kevin

You are correct in your statement that you will be studying with an outstanding group of fellow students. *wink*

In all seriousness, congrats to you. You landed an acceptance at an exceptional medical school.

Thanks for reminding me about dinner! I would like it if everyone who is heading to NSU this Fall and wants to have dinner the night before classes start would drop me e-mail at [email protected]. I'll make a mailing list for us. Even if I've already talked with you in e-mail, send me another message.

Again, congrats, Kev.

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03

Congratulation for all of you heading for NSUCOM. I am so proud of all of you and reading your postings reminds me of last year. After all these years, finally, I have a future, so do all of you who are coming to NSU.

As a NSU student, I am proud of my school, but every school has its strong point and short comings. Nova has but you guys and girls are tough enough to go through the application process are tough enough to deal with the problems. Besides, overall, I still highly recommends Nova because it does provide a very good education.

Hope to see you in Orientation day.

Hi again Henry. I know you are, overall, happy at NSU but for conversation sake, what are the school's three strongest and weakest points? Without having spent a day in class there I would say the strongest are: (1) early clinical exposure -- with primary care focus, (2) great facilities, and (3) the students. Of course, the location doesn't hurt either. The three weakest points (to guess from what I heard when I was there would be: (1) mandatory dress code to sit in class in preclinical years, (2) a couple of less-than-great professors, and (3) administration raising tuition every year.

Part of the mandatory dress code is being able to wear scrubs, right? If so, I gladly accept the opportunity to attend class in pajamas for two years!! ;-)

------------------
sig1.gif

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 01-30-99).]

By the way, has anyone heard from Brooke? Her e-mail account is no longer valid.

------------------
sig1.gif

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 01-30-99).]

Hi 2003, you have named the weak point of NSU. However, I don't think I want to discuss any problems in a internet forum site about the school.

However, I can at least state that the dress code is not the worst thing. To me, I think is an advantage.

The dress code did make everyone (and therefore the school) look very professional. I, like Gregory, will probably go with scrubs a fair bit of the time. Henry, my email is [email protected] if you'd like to mention some of your concerns to me. I know you recommend the school overall but I always like to know what challenges lay ahead. Thanks.

Hi guys

I have also been accepted to NSUCOM. I had my interview on Dec. 14th, and received an acceptance letter on Jan. 27th.
I am very excited to join...
Has anyone looked for apartments yet?? How much is rent???

see you soon

Chirag Shah, NSUCOM '03
[email protected]
http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~cshah

Hello, everyone. I will also be one of your classmates at Nova this fall! I am looking very forward to it. All of you sound like a really great bunch of people. I look forward to getting to know all of you via email and discussion groups before we even get to meet each other in person! I have already have had the pleasure of talking with Gregory, who by the way deserves a hand for everything he's done with this site and discussion group! I think the idea of getting together for dinner, etc. before classes start sounds like a great idea! I just spent the last year in Miami for grad school and spent a lot of my time in sunny Ft. Lauderdale. I also have alot of friends in the area. So, if anybody needs some info on the area, I'll do what I can for you. Until then, everyone take care.

just want to let all of you who are coming to NOVA this August to notice that NOVA has a new attendance policy for the osteopathic medical school.

The new policy is attendance will be taken at least once a day, that is, the adminstration can take 2 or 3 times a day. If you miss any one of the attendance, you are considered as abscent for the day.

The school allow each students to have 20 days each semester to take off from school, so you can use these days for family occassions, doctor appointments, or recovery from your broken relationship, etc.

After that 20 days is up, the number of days that you miss classes will be recorded and will DEFINITELY mentioned in your Deans letter. You need the Dean's letter to apply for residency program. It will look very bad if your Dean's letter has to mention the number of days you have abscent.

Well however, I figure, I don't think I will cut 20 times in a semester. However, some of classmates felt that the school is treating us like we are young kids, in the undergraduate school. Well, as for me, I have no problem with the new policy

Thanks for the info Henry. I'm glad to hear it has changed. I can't imagine missing 20 days but I did think it might be a hassle trying to deal with administration when I was sick one day. I like the new policy (better than the old anyway). I hope it is not abused, however. I guess it would be the abuser's loss.

Hello- guys.. I recently discovered this site.. but just want to let you know I am on board to NSUCOM as well. I would like to join you all on converstions and email exchange before the class starts,.. so let me join..

and about a dinner, it sounds just great to me.. can I come as well??

danny

Danny! Good to hear from another future NSUCOM student! E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll give you the latest scoop on what's going on with the incomming NSUCOM students.

Congrats, pal! I look forward to meeting ya!

Gregory