Health and Wellness Tricks for Nontrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wholeheartedly

Epi Geek
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So most of us on here keep rather busy schedules, whether it's raising family while doing pre-reqs or medical school, or working and commuting to class while volunteering and studying for the MCAT.

What strategies do you use to try to stay fit and healthy despite scheduling craziness?

Members don't see this ad.

Great thread. I run with my dog. Although I have to admit my exercise and diet scheme have gone right down the tubes since I started studying for the MCAT.

And it is currently 9:30 am and I am drinking a Cherry Coke. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great thread. I run with my dog. Although I have to admit my exercise and diet scheme have gone right down the tubes since I started studying for the MCAT.

sort of similar, only I'm using mcat as an excuse to not study. that and an injury sustained during a marathon. otherwise I'd totally start running again. i need a new belt.

Yeah, my eating and exercising took a good nose dive this year. It's been hard to juggle meal planning when I drive up to the other town and spend 12+ hours there, I'd need to bring a huge cooler just to keep 2 meals cold. lol. I'm currently in the worst shape of my life and hate it. I'd like to get back to swimming as that's always been my ultimate fitness activity, but there's that whole having to be seen in a bathing suit thing that does not appeal to me right now... :hungover:

Also, I usually hook my bike up to a trainer in the basement during the winter months but with the flooded basement project still in the works and I don't have a place for it.

In the summer, I'm all about the bike trails. I can spend all day out cycling, even if it's raining. Also, my dog loves it when I take him with when I go rollerblading. I've thought about skijouring (sp?) but haven't had the guts to try and and snow has been pretty variable.

So I'm just looking to steal ideas from other people.

I did find a good, fairly healthy recipe for a wild rice and mushroom frittata that's easy to do variations with as well. Between the protein from the egg, the filling nature of rice, and veggies it's a pretty good stick with you meal.

What strategies do you use to try to stay fit and healthy despite scheduling craziness?

Apparently our strategies suck...

A few things I try to do are to 1) when I have some time off on either F/Sat/Sun I make a couple different dishes for the upcoming week and put them in the fridge so all I have to do is heat it up. 2) cut in half or cut out completely butter/oil from recipes on the stove top. They usually taste fine anyway. 3) When I do get fast food, grilled chicken sandwich w/o fries or a coke. Not great but better than a cheese burger or fried chicken. And I'm fairly sure I violated all three of these this week. I can't say no to Chicken E's sweet tea and chicken.

Did the treadmill thing while studying for the MCAT last year. It took a while to get into shape but once I got there, it helped immensely with studying!

Unfortunately, I did not keep it up so I am now starting the Couch to 10K program so I can be in great shape when med school starts in August.

I've had it on my list to train for a triathlon for awhile now. Actually registered for one a couple years ago, but that wound up being the day I closed on my house and was quite sick to boot.

Definitely still on my list of things to do. I don't know that I could study on a treadmill, but I picked up a book stand for my bike's handlebars and I bet I could manage that without injury. Figured I could use it for either watching movies with my ipad while I bike or read books.Brain's always sharper with exercise.

I want to do everything I can to get a good routine down to be in the best shape possible before I start medical school, cuz it's not going to get any easier after that.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Buy some frozen healthy-ish pizzas and don't feel guilty about cooking them on a night when you have 3 tests coming up. Don't feel the need to view every workout as triathlon training or max calorie burning or whatever, just do something even if only for 15 minutes. I cook a huge pot of brown rice on the weekend and put frozen veggies on it-healthy and cheap lunch. I always have bags of oranges and apples in the fridge, sometimes that's the only fruit/veg I have time to eat. Not perfect, but better than zero :).

Also, this may not be something you are interested in, but stop consuming caffeine entirely. I stopped 3 months ago and have MORE energy now than I used to (this was a 3 cup a day habit!). Bonus-I can nap if necessary, which is almost impossible to do after a cup of coffee. I sleep better at night. It also cuts out time in the morning from either brewing it myself or buying it, time that I use to sleep in or work out or whatever. Full disclosure: the withdrawal was brutal!

Crock pots are amazinggg. I definitely recommend getting one if you don't have one! You can throw a bunch of stuff in it in the morning, go to school, work, study, whatever, then come home and voila dinner is ready and waiting.

Also this website has some really good healthy recipes. She even has a printable 4 week schedule if you just need something to follow. I usually pick the meals she labels as "Fast"

http://www.coachcalorie.com/healthy-weight-loss-meal-plan/

Then I have heard of a lot of people making up a week's worth of meals for the crock pot, putting them in individual bags and sticking them in the freezer. Then every morning, just dump it all in the crockpot and you're good to go. No thinking required. :)

http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html

If you have any time to procrastinate ;) then Pinterest has a ton of good recipes and ideas for quick, healthy meals and also quick workouts that you can do right when you wake up or before bed or something. Hope it helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So exercise. A lot. Your sedintary as f@ck. So you need more not less. No namby pamby bull**** either. And the right kind of exercise FOR YOU.. Don't be that old bastard with blasted out knees the size of basketballs pounding down the sidewalk like an aged hippo. Because his doctor told him he's on the verge of needing a cabg.

Not only are we horribly sedintary but the exercise we do eek out is often harmful.

You need cardio and you need MSK training. The MSK training is particularly important for sedintary studiers. You need to strengthen the core muscles that become deconditioned from long hours hunched at a desk. Pilates and yoga are ideal.

You need to be militant about self care. Pay for it now or pay for it later. You only have one body for one life. Stress of achievement will always be waiting to rape your mind. So start packing a pistol loaded with a full clip of "f@ck you" for any notion or anyone who compromises your intent of rigorous self care.

Last edited:
So exercise. A lot. Your sedintary as f@ck. So you need more not less. No namby pamby bull**** either. And the right kind of exercise FOR YOU.. Don't be that old bastard with blasted out knees the size of basketballs pounding down the sidewalk like an aged hippo. Because his doctor told him he's on the verge of needing a cabg.

Not only are we horribly sedintary but the exercise we do eek out is often harmful.

You need cardio and you need MSK training. The MSK training is particularly important for sedintary studiers. You need to strengthen the core muscles that become deconditioned from long hours hunched at a desk. Pilates and yoga are ideal.

You need to be militant about self care. Pay for it now or pay for it later. You only have one body for one life. Stress of achievement will always be waiting to rape your mind. So start packing a pistol loaded with a full clip of "f@ck you" for any notion or anyone who compromises your intent of rigorous self care.

This is funny and scary at the same time. I don't know if I should laugh or cry about what is coming my way in med school :eek:

This is funny and scary at the same time. I don't know if I should laugh or cry about what is coming my way in med school :eek:

Well you're not skipping along free as bird and then you get into med school and then you start working. Like many of you I probably worked a lot harder as a premed working multiple jobs and studying like I had something to prove. But I paid for it. And suffered a devastating work injury that probably could've been prevented if I hadn't thought I was invincible and I had conditioned my body to better absorb the punishment of hoisting horse sized humans around the hospital.

So like a said. You have one vehicle only to get you around on the planet for as long as your here. I've struggled mightily with chronic pain. And I know now, after reconstructing my body with exercise, that is the most wonderful thing in the world to feel good in it.

Not all the kings horses and men could drag me into not training my body regularly. I'm 40 years old and I'm in better shape than most of my classmates. Only the athletes are better trained. But even they are aging rapidly under stress and sedintary lifestyles. Spending youth like rose petals on the ground. When they're 40 not many of any will be able to catch my 50-60 year old self. Cause I'm accelerating my routines not letting them decay.

The blessing I have is remission from pain to make this thesis obvious and self-evident. It's much harder to visualize the slow creep of the clogging of arteries in your heart and brain.

Nobody will defend your quality of life but you. And your in the heat of battle for it now.

Last edited:
Yeah, my eating and exercising took a good nose dive this year. It's been hard to juggle meal planning when I drive up to the other town and spend 12+ hours there, I'd need to bring a huge cooler just to keep 2 meals cold. lol.

LOVE this thread :)

Im currently studying for step 1, meaning, I sit on my ass for at least 10 hours a day.

I run 3-6 miles/day 6 days a week and swim whenever it's above 80. Doesn't feel like enough when the rest I'm sedentary. Oh well.

Not working out isn't an option with my lifestyle, I'd be a hot mess. (more than I already am).. I just found what time of day I'm incapable of productive studying and scheduled my workouts for then

And you're right it won't get easier in med school but I lost a crapton of weight first year, you'll find most med students live much healthier lives than the most.

LOVE this thread :)

Im currently studying for step 1, meaning, I sit on my ass for at least 10 hours a day.

I run 3-6 miles/day 6 days a week and swim whenever it's above 80. Doesn't feel like enough when the rest I'm sedentary. Oh well.

Not working out isn't an option with my lifestyle, I'd be a hot mess. (more than I already am).. I just found what time of day I'm incapable of productive studying and scheduled my workouts for then

And you're right it won't get easier in med school but I lost a crapton of weight first year, you'll find most med students live much healthier lives than the most.

That's a great regimen.

I bet your cardio is good enough to handle a horde of zombies.

I have a theory that people who have the insight to regularly train are probably among the most successful people. It's just an attitude of facing being tired and overworked and stressed with courage and wisdom to handle your body first.

I mean we're physicians for Christ sake. We should all be in good shape. Not being able to move your body around and feel good is a waste of a life.

I guess fitness does have a corrolation to weath, education, and therefore physicians, but I sure see a lot of sorry out of shape docs. This romance with self sacrafice without an ethic of fitness and physical performance is for co-dependent slobs. I'll never prostrate myself like that for anyone. And I recommend resistance to anyone who will even listen.

i am a fitness instructor and before i decided to go back to school i was preparing for my first physique competition so i'm pretty bummed about not being able to go to the gym a couple hours a day ... but i've realized that doing *something* is better than doing *nothing* ... i know that goes without saying, but sometimes doing body weight squats doesn't seem to be worth it but they are better than nothing!
anyway, i am fortunate to be teaching a bible study, so instead of just reading the Bible, i will listen to an audio Bible while doing some exercises at home ... it's really the only way that I can take the time to exercise and not feel guilty about not studying *something* and this way i can get the Word twice - once while exercising and listening and again when i read it as usual *^_^*
i hope you find your balance soon ... as moms pursuing a career it's easy to neglect our spiritual, emotional and/or physical health, but as a friend of mine often reminds me, "if mama ain't happy - ain't nobody happy!" we have to take care of ourselves so we can take care of others ;)

So most of us on here keep rather busy schedules, whether it's raising family while doing pre-reqs or medical school, or working and commuting to class while volunteering and studying for the MCAT.

Tabata burpees every morning at 0500. :)

I think it's important to realize that fitness does not have to happen in a gym. Eating healthy foods and walking in relaxing places often yields better results for my overall wellness than doing a few sets of bicep curls at the university gym.

While it certainly looked intense, I study while riding the exercise bike or doing the elliptical at the Y. Its not the same as going for a good run outside or doing a weight work out, it certainly is better than nothing. I try to have flash cards ready to go as well. They are really easy to do while riding.

Anyone a Vegan or Veggie out there with tips for packing lunch/food for long days in med school? Anything beyond carrot sticks is helpful!

Anyone a Vegan or Veggie out there with tips for packing lunch/food for long days in med school? Anything beyond carrot sticks is helpful!

I just made a pretty cool quinoa pear salad for breakfast this morning. It will become a regular on the lunch menu. Plenty of other good recipes on that website.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/10/quinoa-salad-with-pears-and-baby.html

Also, lentils are a pretty awesome substitute for some things. I use lentils instead of ground beef for lentil/veggie spaghetti sauce, lentil tacos, and lentil sloppy joes. Good protein and fiber source all in one, so those meals stick with you. Humus & veggie wraps. Yankee bean soup, without the ham.

A real quick thing I like to throw together is brown rice (one of those 90 sec bags), rinsed canned black beans, reduced fat chz if you want, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, and a 100 cal pack of wholly guacamole. Takes like 10 minutes to make. Not really low cal but could do a lot worse.

All of that assumes access to a microwave and some cold packs.

You probably don't eat eggs, but the other day I tried a mushroom and wild rice frittata that was pretty good, could cut the calories even more by using all egg whites and it is definitely flexible for variations. Very filling with eggs and rice. Definitely would be a good breakfast for lunch or dinner item as well.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mushroom_wild_rice_frittata.html

If your always on the go, start juicing in the morning or making pre-made lunches so you can grab and go. Try and stay away from eating meat , it only slows you down in my opinion when studying long nights for the sci classes or the MCAT. Instead eat a s@&$t ton of veggies in between breaks. I like to get a good run in between classes and work, I also do some Hatha yoga on the weekends to relieve stress. Another cool habit I developed is taking a 15 break from studying every 45min to stretch, walk around or do what ever to be active. I found this technique to work well for me. I always try and keep this mental affirmation in my head "if I want to be somebodies doctor then I ought to get my own health in check first."
But that's just my 0.02$

Good luck to you though .

I feel my best when I make time to buy groceries and cook a few meals to have at the ready during the week. If I can't bring my own food to school or work, it all falls apart. I start eating garbage, I feel like I'm not in control, etc. I have a big cooler/tote that I fill up with a couple meals and snacks so if I'm out all day, I can still eat well. I don't have a ton of money to afford to buy salads and the healthy stuff when I'm at the hospital. My budget is more aligned to french fries and grilled cheese, and that's not good.

I also try to work out five times/week. I said TRY. I rarely get there more than four times but every day I try to make time to go so if it falls by the wayside a couple times, it's not the end of the world. Also I go every Saturday and Sunday so that's two days right there. When I was studying all the time, I'd look at flash cards or print out a few condensed pages of notes to read while walking on the treadmill or riding the recumbent bike. Once I burned through almost two hours and 700 calories memorizing formulas for the MCAT and pedaling semi-leisurely on the bike.

Btw, I am not in awesome shape. This is just how I get through my life without feeling like a tired blob all the time.

Yeah, my eating and exercising took a good nose dive this year. It's been hard to juggle meal planning when I drive up to the other town and spend 12+ hours there, I'd need to bring a huge cooler just to keep 2 meals cold. lol. I'm currently in the worst shape of my life and hate it. I'd like to get back to swimming as that's always been my ultimate fitness activity, but there's that whole having to be seen in a bathing suit thing that does not appeal to me right now... :hungover:

Also, I usually hook my bike up to a trainer in the basement during the winter months but with the flooded basement project still in the works and I don't have a place for it.

In the summer, I'm all about the bike trails. I can spend all day out cycling, even if it's raining. Also, my dog loves it when I take him with when I go rollerblading. I've thought about skijouring (sp?) but haven't had the guts to try and and snow has been pretty variable.

I did find a good, fairly healthy recipe for a wild rice and mushroom frittata that's easy to do variations with as well. Between the protein from the egg, the filling nature of rice, and veggies it's a pretty good stick with you meal.

Oh yeah, exercising gets me too. :p It's so much easier to just eat a bit less vs. getting to the gym!

I'm a huge fan of eggs like you are. They make for such quick and easy meals. Frittatas (gotta try one with rice like you said - yum!), poached eggs, eggs n' salsa... they're my go to.

My ghetto huevos rancheros is just 3 eggs cracked into a ceramic dish with a scoop of salsa. I put my salt and pepper on top of the raw eggs, nuke the whole mixture for 2-3 minutes on HIGH, and grate cheddar on top of the cooked eggs before throwing it into a tupperware container. It's so easy to prepare running out the door as long as you have salsa on hand.

My go to dessert is this sugar-free chocolate mousse. You can make it paleo/primal using honey if you like. Just blend up the ingredients. It's SO good. Great for company, too.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Buy some frozen healthy-ish pizzas and don't feel guilty about cooking them on a night when you have 3 tests coming up. Don't feel the need to view every workout as triathlon training or max calorie burning or whatever, just do something even if only for 15 minutes. I cook a huge pot of brown rice on the weekend and put frozen veggies on it-healthy and cheap lunch. I always have bags of oranges and apples in the fridge, sometimes that's the only fruit/veg I have time to eat. Not perfect, but better than zero :).

That is a great attitude. :thumbup: Trying to keep that in mind following this pre-med journey!

Tabata burpees every morning at 0500. :)

I think it's important to realize that fitness does not have to happen in a gym. Eating healthy foods and walking in relaxing places often yields better results for my overall wellness than doing a few sets of bicep curls at the university gym.

Yup, I recommend Crossfit. I know it's a fad these days, however, if you can do 20-30 mins in a Work Out of the Day, you get all the exercise you need, and burn a ton of calories. Which affords you the ability to eat less discriminately.

The caveat to this is depending on how old you are, your body may or may not be able to keep up. I tweaked my rib 3rd semester (of med school) and haven't been right since then. And later on quit the working out altogether.

I'm an MS3 slob now! Weaker yet heavier than I was in my pre-clinical years. :(

I moved to a rural area just before starting school again, and no longer had access to a gym with a decent selection of free weights. After scouring the internet for a while, I discovered the world of body weight training, which develops strength through movements like planche progressions, front and back lever progressions, pistol squat progressions, and pull up and muscle up progressions, among others. A lot of these movements can be trained at home with minimal equipment (I bought gymnastic rings that I hang in my garage, and that's it).

Changing my training this way turned out to be a blessing when I started school again. Being able to work out at home, with no commute time to a gym and minimal time getting dressed and ready to go, is essential to maintaining a training regimen for me at this point. On days when I am really slammed with homework or work (I also work from home), I literally do sets between studying or working. I would not be able to stay in shape if I didn't have this kind of flexibility with my training.

While it certainly looked intense, I study while riding the exercise bike or doing the elliptical at the Y. Its not the same as going for a good run outside or doing a weight work out, it certainly is better than nothing. I try to have flash cards ready to go as well. They are really easy to do while riding.

Have you ever tried using "verbal flashcards" (ie recording flashcards to listen to later)? I do this because I have a long drive in to school and like to use that time to study a little. Might be a nice way to keep your hands free while you exercise. I personally find that saying everything out loud to record the flashcards is hugely helpful in memorization, too.

I finished hiking the Appalachian Trail in January, and started studying for the MCAT immediately after. I think since then, I've walked an averaged of about 100 steps per day. Pretty pathetic. It all started by me justifying lack of exercise with "...I just need to get in a good study routine first." Oh, and obviously I blamed the weather in Boston too. :rolleyes:

But I did transition from a mostly vegetarian diet to a full vegetarian diet in February. I feel much healthier in that regard.

But I did transition from a mostly vegetarian diet to a full vegetarian diet in February. I feel much healthier in that regard.

Yeah, I'm shifting back that way again myself now. It's not for everyone but I really liked it when I was a vegetarian.

You know what else I just realized works for me...besides a stunningly gorgeous hatha yoga practice...is getting up every so often and puttin somethin funkywhatever on my head phones. And gettin down like its nobody's business.

Having just finished such a jam. I hadn't realized I was carrying around the dread of failure on my recent shelf exams. And thought to myself. It's extremely hard to be stressed when coming up with ridiculous moves is your focus.

And stress is the enemy. The double agent within. Forsaking god and country and you.

Hey guys, I have been a dietitian, personal trainer and diabetes educator specializing in weight mgmt. for (GASP) 20 years and am finally hittin the MCAT. I've helped thousands for people and if there is something unique to your situation shoot your q to me via PM. All the other suggestions I have glanced at which others have written on here look good. In it to WIN it.

I downloaded the spartacus workouts and use those everyday after work. 30 minute circuit training. I use to 10 pound dumbbells for weight (because thats all I won.) I've noticed immediate results. I also run once a week do to me nursing runners knee.

One good option that I found is "examkrackers" MCAT audio study sessions. I load up the MP3's on my phone and listen while I work out.

My diet in med school. On Sunday evening, buy 6 chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, bag of spinach, pack of whole grain tortillas, yoghurt and bran buds. Add some fruit, low cal microwave popcorn and free range eggs. I would marinate the chicken breasts in lemon juice and Montreal steak spice and then bake for twenty to thirty minutes at 425F that night. Cut each of the chicken breasts in half and store in a tupperware.

Breakfast - yogurt and 1/4 cup of bran buds, easily portable, btw if you take the bran buds in a separate container
Lunch - tortilla (warm for 30 seconds in microwave) with some salsa, a half chicken breast sliced and a handful of fresh spinach. Wrap the wrap in tinfoil, stick it in a tupperware and it keeps nicely till lunch time.
Supper - wrap, salad with chicken, ramen noodles with the chicken on top, eggs

My favourite salad dressing: soy sauce, seasoned rice wine vinegar and a drizzle of sesame oil.

I hardly ever bought lunch and I maintained my weight in med school and have probably lost five pounds in residency.

As far as physical exercise, I've never been an exerciser, but I do take the stairs in the hospital until after midnight, and I recently got a pedometer which shows that I walk 7 km on a normal hospital day. On call, It's probably triple that, which is kinda cool for a couch potato like me. :)

I gained 40lbs in medical school (of which I have shed 15 since residency interviews ended). I have no business giving advice in this thread. lol.

Calorie counting is my lifesaver. For starters, it becomes a game. How close can you skirt the edge while still being happy? I'm at 1399 now and I rarely feel hungry, but if I do, I know it's only a hundred more instead of 500!

Next, it really cuts down on refined food. A bowl of cereal can be 330 calories. That's the same number of calories as a few pieces of turkey bacon, two eggs, a quarter cup of shredded cheese, and all the tomatoes and onions you want. MUCH more satisfying!

It also makes you aware of food that you're eating that you don't like. If you're eating it, you're using up your calories. Eat things you enjoy!

I've lost 20 pounds this way with zero exercise. My cholesterol isn't terrible. :p

I lost fifteen pounds in the last six months (hooray!) and I credit it to a couple of things:

- hiking every day with my dog, since I'm lucky enough to live in a place where this is possible;

- cutting out all drive-thru fast food from my diet, no matter how pressed for time I am;

- stocking up on healthier (I won't claim they're truly healthy) convenience foods from places like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods - I eat a lot of microwaveable vegetarian Indian food these days. The spices make it flavorful enough that I don't mind not having meat in the diet, and the fiber keeps me full throughout the day even though I'm eating five hundred fewer calories a day.

---

I will also say that I am prone to somaticizing my stress, typically in the form of backaches and migraines, and that the best preventative measure for that kind of pain is regular physical exercise. If I don't get my walk for two or three days in a row, I am a mass of aches and pains.

Edit: I will add that one thing I've done is shift what I eat during what time of the day -- I now eat most of my protein before five o clock, usually at breakfast and lunch. I also eat less meat. On my best days, I've eaten three quarters of my calories for the day by 2 pm, and so don't need to worry about eating during my peak studying hours. I pack cranberries, almonds, carrots, and a little chocolate to evening classes and that's "dinner", rather than a sit-down meal with a thousand calories or more, which is what my family dinners are usually like.

P90X. My living room is the gym. 60-80 minutes including stretching before and after. You don't have to buy all the stuff they say either. You can do everything with resistance bands and a door attachment which you can find on Amazon. You've probably seen the commercials on TV but it really works. I noticed the increase in energy before anything else which I'm sure we can all use being non-trads. It's a really great way to get fitness in while taking a mental break from everything else. It also comes with a pretty good nutrition guide. I don't follow it to a T because it's sometimes hard to plan out meals in advance, but it's good for getting ideas. It also has a calorie count of some "fast food" places so you can choose a healthier option. I also recommend the "Eat This, Not That!" books for people who find themselves eating out more often and the "Cook This, Not That!" for people who want to find a lower calorie option for their favorite dish. Their banana bread recipe is great! I even modified it a little, cutting out some of the sugar and using half regular flour and half wheat flour. I didn't notice a change in taste at all!

Flus & Bad Colds
If you catch that bug that knocked your friends out for a week, try filling a gallon jug of water, put it by your bed and drink LOTs of water for an entire day (or two days if necessary). Make a point to stay in bed and drink, drink, drink, even a few gallons in 24 hours. It's a lot. That's the point. You will get better in an AMAZINGLY short period of time.

Last edited:
I have a swimming partner in my class and we push each other each day after class. It's good to have somebody to keep you accountable. ;)

Last edited:
I've learned a great deal from Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick, MS, RD, that has helped me significantly. Food costs are down, I don't feel the need to exercise excessively, and I definitely feel healthier than I probably ever have in my life. That makes dealing with the rigors of medical school preparation a little bit easier.

Here are some wonderful places to start, for anyone interested in the information: (I find Jeff Novick's recommendations to be a bit more evidence-based than McDougall's, but the differences where they exists are almost imperceptible.)

Jeff Novick, MS, RD, who works closely with Dr. McDougall, outlines the dietary recommendations very well with his "Healthy Eating Placemat:" https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37450

Novick also helps us keep things in perspective, with "The Real Dirty Dozen: The 12 Deadliest Diet/Lifestyle Factors and what we can do about them": https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=441210#p441210

As you can see from the Dirty Dozen post, by following the diet/lifestyle recommendations it is quite possible we may be able to prevent, treat, and potentially reverse at least 60-70% of our chronic diseases. As a non-trad, minimizing our risks of the diseases typically associated with aging is a big perk, I think :)

Both professionals provide a wealth of information on each of their websites, and, while they sell DVDs and books, the majority of their information has been made available to us for free. (McDougall: www.drmcdougall.com ; Novick: www.jeffnovick.com)

On the mental health front, the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley has some amazing resources on positive psychology: http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/

I hope you find the information at least as worthwhile as I have. Please have a fantastic day.

Last edited: