Health issues as an intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychologyToday1984

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the rambling post... I am a bit overwhelmed and am hoping that perhaps someone out there has been through this.

I have some health issues that popped up and need surgery soon. I just started internship and I don't have any days off or anything. On top of that, I feel uncomfortable taking time off when I've just started and I haven't yet established myself at internship.

Its no question that health comes first, but I just feel uncomfortable with this whole situation. I don't know how I can take time off if I haven't accrued sick days or vacation days. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume you, and they, dont have much choice in the matter. If its medically necessary and advised, get the surgery. You may have to take upaid leave and see if you can extend your internship a bit to make up for it?

Reactions: 1 user
I would assume you, and they, dont have much choice in the matter. If its medically necessary and advised, get the surgery. You may have to take upaid leave and see if you can extend your internship a bit to make up for it?

This is what I'd imagine will happen, yep. Somewhat similar to if someone took time off for pregnancy-related care. Depending on the site, it's possible that they may allow you to take sick and/or personal leave in advance; however, if the time off exceeds what would be your total annual leave allowances (sick and personal), they'll probably need to extend out your graduation date.

I'd suggest sitting down and talking with the training director ASAP. The earlier you address the situation with them, the more time you'll both have to plan things out and accommodate accordingly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I'd imagine will happen, yep. Somewhat similar to if someone took time off for pregnancy-related care. Depending on the site, it's possible that they may allow you to take sick and/or personal leave in advance; however, if the time off exceeds what would be your total annual leave allowances (sick and personal), they'll probably need to extend out your graduation date.

I'd suggest sitting down and talking with the training director ASAP. The earlier you address the situation with them, the more time you'll both have to plan things out and accommodate accordingly.

Excellent info.

We had someone take off 2-3 wks during the first month or two of internship. The time was given up front and over time they accrued enough time (between sick and vacation time) to cover it. Make sure to talk with your DCT ASAP and let them know your situation and they should be able to figure something out.

Sorry for the rambling post... I am a bit overwhelmed and am hoping that perhaps someone out there has been through this.

I have some health issues that popped up and need surgery soon. I just started internship and I don't have any days off or anything. On top of that, I feel uncomfortable taking time off when I've just started and I haven't yet established myself at internship.

Its no question that health comes first, but I just feel uncomfortable with this whole situation. I don't know how I can take time off if I haven't accrued sick days or vacation days. :(
As if internship year isn't stressful enough already, now you have to deal with this! :rolleyes: Ugh!
Hope everything is okay and the surgery goes well. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate getting an idea of "what to expect" when I do request this time off.

Since FMLA doesn't apply to a 1 year internship, as others have said, negotiating with your training director is what needs to be done. I've had friends take unpaid time and make it up, or get fronted vacation time but earn it all back later. Life happens (medical problems, pregnancy, caregiving, etc) and it probably isn't the first time your site will have had to deal with this.