Health Professionals Service Programs and Mental Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and_Tea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple years ago there was a long running post here that tackled some of the issues involved in physician licensure when you have a mental illness. I've stressed a lot about this - though I try and remind myself that if noting else there are several states that don't ask about impairment at all. But then there are other states such as Ohio that act direct questions such as "Within the last ten years, have you been diagnosed with or have you been treated for, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, paranoia or any other psychotic disorder?" There is not a lot of way around that.

When I investigate health professional services programs I also get discouraged. Though many of them talk about not having to report on your licensure application if you self report to the HPSP first, the language is all aimed towards substance abuse and not mental illness.

Is it really possible for someone with mental illness, who wants to be honest, to work anywhere other than New York, Pennsylvania or Hawaii? It is my understanding that if you get denied a license in one state, it pretty much game over anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

One way to mitigate your worry about it might be to just get a license in a state that is known to be a little less strict before you apply to a state that might be less understanding. Also, just because a state medical board asks about something doesn't mean they are going to deny you a license. They probably just want you to communicate with them and make sure you're taking care of your mental illness. I bet if you call or email and show you are doing what you can to communicate with them that would help. You can't hide from them, because that would just make it look like there is a problem when none exists. I seriously doubt you are the first with this worry, especially in a populous state like New York.