Health Professions Advisory Committee vs. Individual Evaluation letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalabarbor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I want to know if its better to go through the Health Professions Advisory Committee at the school or to just send Individual Evaluation letters. Specially for Texas dental schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Technically you are "supposed" to go through the Health Professions Advisory Committee if you have one. I'm not sure how my undergrad does it now, but I did both. I had a committe evaluation and separate evaluation letters. My reason for doing this is because if I had just done the committee letter, I am counting on someone (via one interview) to write me a letter to get into to dental school. We had new people take over the committee the year I applied, and they didn't know who I was. If I could do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have gone through the committee at my school. I'm not really sure how that looks to schools... I would imagine if you have a good reason, it would be okay. I just felt that the professors that I had write me letters, knew me much better, and that they could write a good letter. And plus, I interviewed with the person in charge of the pre-dental students on the committee the first week of May. We have to do this... submit a CV and personal statement, and then they ask us questions so they can write a letter. I interviewed in May... and it took this person 3 months to write my letter, and to send my additional letters to schools. And when I would go check to see if it was mailed, they would tell me I shouldn't be worrying because schools don't start interviews until September and don't even look at applications until August. For some schools this is true, but for many (i.e. Texas schools) it is not. It is definitely stressful when you are trying to get things in on time and "apply early". I guess it all depends on how well your committee is run at your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my own letters and also did the committee. I would def do it that way again!

Thank you so much everyone. that was very helpful.

I prefer individual letters dependant on how well you know the professors. I think that they are more powerful and effective than some committee that doesn't know you.

most schools prefer/request the committee if you have one. most (all?) of us in grad school don't have one, so the option to do individual ones (albeit more tedious for AADSAS to collect and schools to read through) is necessary for some of us.

My committee letter required that I attain 6 LORs (faculty, employers, dentists, etc.). In addition to your LORs, the committee conducts interviews (which are excellent practice btw) and subsequently uses this information collectively to write your committee letter. Schools then receive both the committee letter and the LORs together through aadsas.
What I'm trying to say is that a committee letter doesn't replace your regular LORs rather it accentuates them so definitely do it if your school has the option.