Health Professions Office Letter Needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have talked to some advisors in my Health Professions Office and they seem very discouraging and keep implying that I'm probably going to have to take a gap year. I don't mind that, but I have yet to take the DAT -- and I really just want to at least try to apply this year and see if I get in anywhere. My main concern with their office is that I really want a letter of recommendation from them since many schools prefer just one letter from your Health Professions Office over individual rec letters from professors. I am just worried that I won't get even an interview for the letter, since they're so discouraging and negative. This brings me to my question...

Does it make a significant difference in my application if I submit individual letters of rec from my professors, versus a unified Health Professions Letter? If so, how much of a difference? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What are some of their concerns? In my opinion, I don't necessary think individual letters vs a committee letter makes a difference, but I'm not the admissions committee. If the Health Professions Office have some reservations about your application, maybe you should look into it. You still have a few months before the cycle opens, so you can definitely improve in those areas. Also, if you really want to apply this cycle and money isn't a problem, then go for it. This is ultimately your choice. Good Luck!

Hello,
I have talked to some advisors in my Health Professions Office and they seem very discouraging and keep implying that I'm probably going to have to take a gap year. I don't mind that, but I have yet to take the DAT -- and I really just want to at least try to apply this year and see if I get in anywhere. My main concern with their office is that I really want a letter of recommendation from them since many schools prefer just one letter from your Health Professions Office over individual rec letters from professors. I am just worried that I won't get even an interview for the letter, since they're so discouraging and negative. This brings me to my question...

Does it make a significant difference in my application if I submit individual letters of rec from my professors, versus a unified Health Professions Letter? If so, how much of a difference? Thank you.

Mind sharing some of your stats? Maybe there IS a red flag that the committee is concerned about, maybe there isn't at all. I heard that my school's health committee was "stingy" too, discouraging students not to apply when they had even a slightly lower GPA than the average GPA of accepted students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My committee discouraged me too and suggested I should hold out and wait until next cycle. I did end up taking the gap year anyway, but honestly, it was for the better. Although I was a bit upset with their decision initially, I can see in hindsight why they wanted me to wait. And, I hate to say it, but they were right. I'm going in for my second review to get that letter, and hopefully, they'll accept to write one this time. They're stingy as well, but we'll see :rolleyes:

Mine told me to think about another career...that beginning sophomore year. Lol. All you need is letters from professors and a dentist. Look on the school site or call.