Health Professions Scholarship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spartacus248

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at applying for the HSPS with the Army or Navy and I was wondering if anyone that accepted it has any advice? I've already heard that the Navy one is much better but I don't know if that is just a rumor or not. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking at applying for the HSPS with the Army or Navy and I was wondering if anyone that accepted it has any advice? I've already heard that the Navy one is much better but I don't know if that is just a rumor or not. Thank you.

Since the military is joint commission the scholarships are basically identical regardless of branch (financial, stipend, time to serve). There are pros and cons to the branches, of course, but nuts and bolts of the scholarship itself are the same no matter what.
And yes, view the sub forum.
I took the army one...I don't like to be on boats for extended periods of time. Ha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the military is joint commission the scholarships are basically identical regardless of branch (financial, stipend, time to serve). There are pros and cons to the branches, of course, but nuts and bolts of the scholarship itself are the same no matter what.
I took the army one...I don't like to be on boats for extended periods of time. Ha!

I read the sub forums but I would like personal opinions. How do you like it? I've also heard each branch varies, not in the money, but in stationing and treatment of their people.

I read the sub forums but I would like personal opinions. How do you like it? I've also heard each branch varies, not in the money, but in stationing and treatment of their people.

As a first year, I don't have a lot of exposure to the military directly, yet. However, I haven't had any issues with it. I've gotten all my money and reimbursements timely. I've been able to call and talk to my student rep on the phone when necessary and my recruiter was very organized and got all my stuff done really fast.

Also, I am a military brat....family line of army enlisted. The military is not for everyone. I like it and also feel like serving my country is something I should do....you have to want that to make it. I highly recommend not just doing it for the money (only saying this because I don't know your personal situation :D )

^ Can actually be vastly different pending on what branch you choose.

You made the right choice, though.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Can actually be vastly different pending on what branch you choose.

You made the right choice, though.

Oh...I was under the impression due to the joint com that it's all the same now. Nifty to learn, thanks.

I was accepted (Army) but didn't take it

I'd rather have more options once I'm done with school

Navy still has GMO tours. They're diminishing but still exist. So if you're going into a more competitive specialty there's a chance you could serve as a GMO for a few years to accumulate points towards your military residency application. That being said, there are plenty of specialties including psych, FM, OB/GYN, etc that generally funnel you straight through into a Navy residency. GMO could mean going to flight or dive school to earn qualifications and then go work with the fleet. There are also battalion surgeons that work with the USMC. Every doc I've talked to who did it says it was one of the best experiences of their lives and wouldn't trade it for anything. So if you don't mind taking a few years off to fly in jets or work with SEALs, Navy is a great choice.

Navy also has fantastic duty stations (San Diego, Yokosuka, Rota, Naples).

Full disclosure- I'm a second generation Navy Medical Corps officer, so I'm slightly biased.

Navy still has GMO tours. They're diminishing but still exist. So if you're going into a more competitive specialty there's a chance you could serve as a GMO for a few years to accumulate points towards your military residency application. That being said, there are plenty of specialties including psych, FM, OB/GYN, etc that generally funnel you straight through into a Navy residency. GMO could mean going to flight or dive school to earn qualifications and then go work with the fleet. There are also battalion surgeons that work with the USMC. Every doc I've talked to who did it says it was one of the best experiences of their lives and wouldn't trade it for anything. So if you don't mind taking a few years off to fly in jets or work with SEALs, Navy is a great choice.

Navy also has fantastic duty stations (San Diego, Yokosuka, Rota, Naples).

Full disclosure- I'm a second generation Navy Medical Corps officer, so I'm slightly biased.
That is certainly one way to look at it. Another would be having to spend extra years of committment while doing a GMO tour. But this brings up an important point. Unless a person has the attitude of wanting to be in the military and can see the positives that you have laid out, then they will be absolutely miserable for 7 years+ of their lives.

There is a pervasive attitude among physicians in the military that they are not truly part of the service, and somehow, they are different. The military does not need physicians like that, as it's going to be bad for everyone involved. People just don't realize what they're getting themselves into.

Quick question for you guys. I'm applying to the Army and Navy HPSP. I have been accepted to medical school but my recruiter wants me to write a quick note about a few rough courses during my freshman year. Is ya'lls opinion or from what you have seen, if you are accepted to med school, are you pretty much guaranteed an acceptance to the HPSP? In addition, I have to put down a deposit for my seat that is applied directly to my tuition. I would assume that if I were accepted that this money would be reimbursed?

Thanks in advance!

Quick question for you guys. I'm applying to the Army and Navy HPSP. I have been accepted to medical school but my recruiter wants me to write a quick note about a few rough courses during my freshman year. Is ya'lls opinion or from what you have seen, if you are accepted to med school, are you pretty much guaranteed an acceptance to the HPSP? In addition, I have to put down a deposit for my seat that is applied directly to my tuition. I would assume that if I were accepted that this money would be reimbursed?

Thanks in advance!

If you take the scholarship the money will be reimbursed to you by the school but you made need to stop by the bursars office to make it happen.

Nothing is guaranteed. Your Recuiter is not the person who makes the decision to offer you the scholarship but he sounds like he is premptivly trying to pursuade those that will make the decision and that otherwise might not be inclined due to your poor freshman record and mediocre MCAT.

Basically they will want assurance that you will make it through medical school so they have the physician they prepaid for in 4 years.

At the time, I took the scholarship to support a wife and child. I did not give much thought to what things would be like after residency.

Since I took the scholarship, I am now divorced but in a better relationship and engaged to be married. As I consider the near future, having little choice in where I go next kind of sucks. So does the imminent deployment. There is also a sizeable income disparity. You also really don't have much autonomy. If I could do my own thing, I could live where I want, start building a practice that I can take pride in, and be making $200k more per year than I do in the military. I feel like my, "life" is still on hold until my service obgliation is done.

Having said that, however, I do have about $200k-$300k less in student loan debt.