Health Promotion vs. Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUPsych10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So here's my dilemma. I've been looking into MPH programs (really interested in GWU's program) but I'm unsure of whether I want to do Epidemiology or Health Promotion. My dream job would be health promotion with a mix of research. I'm thinking maybe do Epidemiology track (the classes look really interesting) and then do electives relating to health promotion. I was also thinking of choosing one, and doing a certificate in the other. But I also plan on doing the HIV/AIDS grad. certificate (whether or not I go there for MPH). Just wanted to get some opinions Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I talked to A LOT of people about which MPH track is the most flexible/marketable, including recent grads and people who have been in the field awhile. While it is most important to do what you love, most of the people I spoke with emphasized methods over content. Health promotion/behavior tracks can go either way, depending on the school - meaning they can focus on qualitative data collection/analysis, program planning, etc. or they can focus on theories and other content-based courses.
I decided on epidemiology because it really can go in any direction. The emphasis on statistics will help anywhere, but it also includes the broader concepts associated with public health that many biostat tracks lack. I've also seen numerous friends whose MPHs were content-based (nutrition, health promotion, MCH) struggle to get a job.

Hi everyone! So here's my dilemma. I've been looking into MPH programs (really interested in GWU's program) but I'm unsure of whether I want to do Epidemiology or Health Promotion. My dream job would be health promotion with a mix of research. I'm thinking maybe do Epidemiology track (the classes look really interesting) and then do electives relating to health promotion. I was also thinking of choosing one, and doing a certificate in the other. But I also plan on doing the HIV/AIDS grad. certificate (whether or not I go there for MPH). Just wanted to get some opinions Thanks!

Hi LUPsych10,

I am in a similar predicament right now. I am halfway through with getting my MPH in Epidemiology but I have a strong interest in Health Promotion. Same as you my dream job would also be health promotion with a mix of research. I'm curious to hear what you end up doing, and also what kind of jobs you have begun applying for.