Healthcare/Hospital Admin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I do not really want to go to med school. I was set on dental but in truth I am burned out and do not have the desire to go through the 4+ years right now. My grades are above average I just lack the desire right now and I do not want to force myself and be miserable for 4 years of my life. So my question is how I could get into administration..

I was thinking once I graduate; enter a healthcare administration masters program. I would love to be an administrator or director of a hospital someday. Ideal job would be working in a children's hospital as an administrator.

Would it help if I did an MBA as well or not needed?

What path should I take?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

An MHA/MBA would just be redundant. I haven't looked much into MHA programs, but I would guess that your best bet would be to get an MHA and do a fellowship afterwards. There are lots of fellowships in various areas of healthcare administration available to MHA graduates, so you could probably find one in a children's hospital somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not have a huge background in this but looked into it once.

If I was in your shoes, I would start searching job boards and see what education requirements are in the postings you are most interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I do not really want to go to med school. I was set on dental but in truth I am burned out and do not have the desire to go through the 4+ years right now. My grades are above average I just lack the desire right now and I do not want to force myself and be miserable for 4 years of my life. So my question is how I could get into administration..

I was thinking once I graduate; enter a healthcare administration masters program. I would love to be an administrator or director of a hospital someday. Ideal job would be working in a children's hospital as an administrator.

Would it help if I did an MBA as well or not needed?

What path should I take?

Thanks!!

Same! I dropped out of my dental program, I just did not want to go via it!!! And I've found peace with an MPH program

My suggestion, is either an MPH in health policy and management/admin, MHA or MBA in healthcare 1 of the 3 should help you reach your future endeavors