Healthcare/non-traditional 2015-2016 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gmbz

"Flight 22 is off to Honolulu"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be a great time to come out from lurking. I have been thinking that it would be a great idea if we could have a thread following the Healthcare and non-trad related applicant's through this upcomming cycle! We could share a bit of our past experiences, places that we are applying and feedback that we are getting during our application cycle (secondary, interviews, ect.).

So I guess I will start!

I have been a Registered Nurse (BSN) for the past four years, working in ICU and Cardiology. I took my pre-requisites for medical school (bios,phys,chem's) after starting to work as an ICU nurse. I recently took the 2015 MCAT and have applied for the 2015-2016 cycle. It has long been my opinion that my unique backround in nursing has given me a set of tools and expereiences that enhance my application. I take pride in being a non-trad applicant and look forward to telling my story to some admission committies!

Anyone else have any cool stories for this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really sure if I count as non-traditional or not. Somewhere on the fence I suppose.

I graduated in 2013 with a degree in biology, but I never had any intention of pursuing medicine or healthcare at all. During college I did a good bit of research in academic labs, biotech labs, and with a clinical research company. Lab research was really never my cup of tea, but I greatly enjoyed the time I spent in clinical research. I took this to mean that I would be happy with a career in clinical research and landed a job as a clinical research coordinator at a major cancer center ~1 month after graduation.

As I thought, I greatly enjoyed me job. Then something happened - I got promoted! But wait, my new job has no patient contact at all. As it turns out, the reason I liked my job so much was that, besides getting to work on interesting research trials and finding something I was really good at, I got to be part of the care team for tons of cancer patients. I did not realize how much I would miss that, and that is what pushed me toward pursuing medicine, rather than research, as a career.

Unfortunately going from research to medicine is not exactly "non-traditional" as nearly all pre-meds do research. Hopefully I will be able to distinguish myself with my PS and secondaries...