Heart Failure Fellowship after IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docebzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am currently a 3rd yr IM resident and will be graduating in couple of months.
I had applied to gen cardiology fellowship this year but was unable to match.
I now have an opportunity to get a position for 1 yr CHF fellowship at a university program. Does any one have such expereice with such fellowship out of IM residency and how much will it boost my chances to match into Gen cardiology this year? What are the expectation from such 1 y fellowships?

Also I not a big fan of procedures and would prefer to go down the route of non invasive cardiologist, i have interest in cardiac physiology/echo/nuclear . Its is a compulsion to be certified in diagnostic cardiac cath during gen cardiology fellowships? or if our interests are different we can pursue other departments.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is better than nothing.
I know people who did echo fellowship and preventive cardiology fellowship who matched in cardiology. I am sure it helps but again I also know who didnt match did hospitalist with research at the side who eventually matched.
I dont think it is a bad choice (Had I not match I would have done one of the subspecialty fellowships). It puts you into contact directly with a cardiology faculty at some program and might improve your chances there.
During general fellowship its not mandatory to be certified in cardiac cath. In your third year....you roll out your schedule based on what you are interested in. However you still need to do a minumum number of cathlab months and in terms of procedures like swan placement, pericardiocentesis etc I assume you can not dodge

Not going to claim I know a whole lot about cards fellowships specifically. I do know it's competitive...very much so. I'd say any leg up you can get is worth taking. How badly do you want cards vs gen im? If that's ALL you want to do, then take the fellowship year and reapply. If you are ok either way, start your gen im career and take another shot this coming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,
I now have an opportunity to get a position for 1 yr CHF fellowship at a university program. Does any one have such expereice with such fellowship out of IM residency and how much will it boost my chances to match into Gen cardiology this year? What are the expectation from such 1 y fellowships?

Also I not a big fan of procedures and would prefer to go down the route of non invasive cardiologist, i have interest in cardiac physiology/echo/nuclear . Its is a compulsion to be certified in diagnostic cardiac cath during gen cardiology fellowships? or if our interests are different we can pursue other departments.

Thank you!

You have to spend a certain time in the Cath lab, and complete a Level 1 COCATS. Minimum is 100 diagnostic caths I think to graduate.

Hello guys,

Thank you!

I strongly recommend doing a CHF Fellowship. After I graduated from IM Residency, I decided to work as a Hospitalist for a year against my better judgement because my passion has always been a career in Cardiology. When I decided to leave the hospitalist job and pursue cardiology training, I was off cycle with regards to the application process so I decided to do a year of CHF. I loved it!!! It gave me excellent clinical and procedural exposure but I did a great job and was offered a fellowship spot outside of the match at the same institution.

One word of advice and many might disagree with me....Cardiology Fellowship is a procedural based fellowship. Don't ever admit to anyone at this point in your training that you do not want to do procedures because you are expected to be facile in the cath lab, placing central lines, swans, pulling sheaths, removing balloon pumps, managing impellas...regardless of where you train in cardiology. Even if you will be a noninvasive cardiologist in the future and never do another procedure, you need to be a great cardiology fellow and that means doing procedures now.

I strongly recommend doing a CHF Fellowship. After I graduated from IM Residency, I decided to work as a Hospitalist for a year against my better judgement because my passion has always been a career in Cardiology. When I decided to leave the hospitalist job and pursue cardiology training, I was off cycle with regards to the application process so I decided to do a year of CHF. I loved it!!! It gave me excellent clinical and procedural exposure but I did a great job and was offered a fellowship spot outside of the match at the same institution.

One word of advice and many might disagree with me....Cardiology Fellowship is a procedural based fellowship. Don't ever admit to anyone at this point in your training that you do not want to do procedures because you are expected to be facile in the cath lab, placing central lines, swans, pulling sheaths, removing balloon pumps, managing impellas...regardless of where you train in cardiology. Even if you will be a noninvasive cardiologist in the future and never do another procedure, you need to be a great cardiology fellow and that means doing procedures now.

Hi there!
I did not match this year. I was going through the website and I read your post. It is very encouraging to read such stories. I am wondering if you can provide me with the name of your institution. I would highly appreciate that!

Hi Docebzz, Cardfellow12 and others, I did my IM residency then did my waiver for visa, now doing hospitalist. Now I am out of residency for sometime. I always wanted to do card fellowship but due to the visa and competitiveness, I didn't go for it. Last year, I applied for first time and did not get any interviews which was disappointing. Now I am trying to apply for heart failure fellowship.
Is it possible for you to send the list of places who take IM residents? I searched but I came up with only few places. It has been really bumpy road with disappointment.
Thank you

Hello everyone,
I am new here.
I didn't match last year.

Does non ACGME nuclear cardiology fellowship help to get in Cardiology?
I did residency from small community program, June 2015, as IMG, average scores 210s, no publications.
All inputs highly appreciated , thanks

Hello everyone,
I am new here.
I didn't match last year.

Does non ACGME nuclear cardiology fellowship help to get in Cardiology?
I did residency from small community program, June 2015, as IMG, average scores 210s, no publications.
All inputs highly appreciated , thanks

the contacts can help u get into fellowship