heart murmurs: any mnemonics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
any mnemonics to the various heart mumurs? i keep getting them mixed up. once it's kinda straight in my head and i don't review it for a few weeks, it's all jumbled again...arggh.

any systematic way to group murmurs? i.e. their fx on s1, s2, s3, s4, etc?

also, how does a leg lift effect the loudness of murmurs? step-up says that "leg raise maneuvers DIMINISH intensity of all murmurs except MVP and HCM" (pg 34). isn't this incorrect? i.e. it INCREASES intesnity of hall murmurs except mvp and hcm?

Members don't see this ad.

bulldog said:
any mnemonics to the various heart mumurs? i keep getting them mixed up. once it's kinda straight in my head and i don't review it for a few weeks, it's all jumbled again...arggh.

also, how does a leg lift effect the loudness of murmurs? step-up says that "leg raise maneuvers DIMINISH intensity of all murmurs except MVP and HCM" (pg 34). isn't this incorrect? i.e. it INCREASES intesnity of hall murmurs except mvp and hcm?

The only one I know is diastolic ARMS.

AR= aortic regurg
MS=mitral stenosis.

Then you know the opposite for systolic. MR and AS.

We had another one for systolic murmurs: MRS ASS. :laugh:

Mitral regurg (systolic)
Aortic stenosis (systolic)

Members don't see this ad :)
bulldog said:

I don't think you should concentrate on memorizing heart murmurs. You should understand them and the pathophysiology of all valvular lesions. You should think about the origin of all of the heart sounds (S1, S2, S3, S4) and where they occur within the cardiac cycle and why they occur. If you don't understand the basic pathophysiology of murmurs then you're not going to understand the effect that certain maneuvers have on their intensity.

For the systolic murmurs: MR. P.V. TRAPS
MR. P. - Mitral Regurg or Prolapse
V. - VSD
TR - tricuspid regurg
APS - Aortic or Pulmonary Stenosis

For the diastolic murmurs: MS. PAID
MS - Mitral Stenosis
PAI - Pulmonary or Aortic Insufficiency
D - just for the diastolic

this is immensely more useful for exams, not so much for the wards

HTH

DAIMS SASMI