Heavy Courseload: Yes or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressingout

premed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to medical school this cycle to both MD and DO schools. My chances at the MD schools are extremely low due to a poor MCAT verbal reasoning score. This semester, I was planning on taking a little "break" and only take 13 credit hours. However, now I'm thinking this might not be a good idea. I could add one more science, allowing me to take four upper level challenging courses. If I were to do well this semester (4.0), do you think this will help me much with MD acceptance chances? Or is it not worth the stress/trouble?

BTW-I've taken a challenging course load like this before and got a 4.0, so I know that it is possible for me. It's just extremely stressful.

Members don't see this ad.

A single semester isn't going to likely rescue you. What is your current cGPA? sGPA?

Suppose you ace a 17 hr semester...what would the numbers look like then? And if you ace a 13 hr semester, what then?

I'm applying to medical school this cycle to both MD and DO schools. My chances at the MD schools are extremely low due to a poor MCAT verbal reasoning score. This semester, I was planning on taking a little "break" and only take 13 credit hours. However, now I'm thinking this might not be a good idea. I could add one more science, allowing me to take four upper level challenging courses. If I were to do well this semester (4.0), do you think this will help me much with MD acceptance chances? Or is it not worth the stress/trouble?

BTW-I've taken a challenging course load like this before and got a 4.0, so I know that it is possible for me. It's just extremely stressful.

Reactions: 1 user
I had four semesters in a row with a 4.0 that raised my sGPA only .3 points. Gonna need to do more than 13 hours. If you're not concerned about your GPA and the MCAT is really holding you back, then why not raise that verbal score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually taking about the same number of credits this semester after many 17+ credit semesters, but I'm also doing research, volunteering, shadowing and studying for the MCAT so I guess the lighter courseload is overshadowed by the other things I'm doing.

Reactions: 1 user
I had four semesters in a row with a 4.0 that raised my sGPA only .3 points. Gonna need to do more than 13 hours. If you're not concerned about your GPA and the MCAT is really holding you back, then why not raise that verbal score?

That just means your GPA was high to begin with. I got a 4.0 on 14 credits one semester and improved my GPA by about .2 points.

End of sophomore year: 3.15 cGPA / 3.09 sGPA
End of senior year (already in medical school): 3.67 cGPA / 3.42 sGPA

A single semester isn't going to likely rescue you. What is your current cGPA? sGPA?

Suppose you ace a 17 hr semester...what would the numbers look like then? And if you ace a 13 hr semester, what then?

cGPA is 3.9, while sGPA is 3.85; Whether I take 13 or 17 hours and make all A's, I'll have the same GPA (3.91)... But I wasn't thinking of bumping up my GPA as much as being able to show ADCOMs that I will be able to handle a heavy courseload. Would this matter?

I'd have to wait a year to retake the MCAT, but if things don't work out, I might look into that

Sounds to me that you just need to work on your verbal score.
I can't speak for adcom, but I personally don't think it matters whether you take 13 units or 17 units this semester.
Level of difficulty for courses varies from school to school. Adcom most likely wouldn't know how difficulty your classes were, unless they attended the same undergraduate as you and took those classes before (which doesn't seem very likely).
Your GPA is already strong, I think that's enough to show that you're a hard worker.

I'd recommend making your decision based on your interest.
If that class is on a topic you're highly interested in, then go for it.

cGPA is 3.9, while sGPA is 3.85; Whether I take 13 or 17 hours and make all A's, I'll have the same GPA (3.91)... But I wasn't thinking of bumping up my GPA as much as being able to show ADCOMs that I will be able to handle a heavy courseload. Would this matter?
No. If your MCAT score in a particular section is the weakest area of your application, upping that is the only way to help you. Something as insignificant as a "heavy" semester is NOT going to change how they view your VR MCAT section.

Your GPA is already really high....adcoms will know you can handle a heavy course load. I think your fate is pretty sealed. The schools that are going to ignore your application anyway won't care about what classes you do or don't take.

With the GPAs you have now, unless you've been taking 3 hrs/yr, I think you've shown you can handle a heavy load.