Heavy Outpatient and Light Inpatient + OB Fam Med Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chubbs73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a little late in the game, but wondering if anyone had advice of where to apply for a program that is heavier in outpatient training versus heavy inpatient/OB. I know one cant simply eliminate inpatient and OB from a curriculum, but wondering if there were programs where focus is more on outpatient (which I'm more interested in). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a little late in the game, but wondering if anyone had advice of where to apply for a program that is heavier in outpatient training versus heavy inpatient/OB. I know one cant simply eliminate inpatient and OB from a curriculum, but wondering if there were programs where focus is more on outpatient (which I'm more interested in). Thanks!

Do or MD?

MD, very good board scores with great clinical grades

Members don't see this ad :)
What part of the country?
I'm open, but trying to avoid west coast and metropolitan areas of east coast. Rural-ish would be nice, but not required. I guys maybe mid Atlantic, Midwest, Carolinas

East coast university-based FM programs will tend to fit this description more than unopposed residencies.

In particular, I think the Duke FM program places a lot of emphasis on the outpatient component.

This is a little more Mountain West / West Coast, but you might find that many of the Kaiser programs are up your alley. From what I hear, they actually do really great population health type medicine.

East coast university-based FM programs will tend to fit this description more than unopposed residencies.

In particular, I think the Duke FM program places a lot of emphasis on the outpatient component.
There's some truth to this. The problem is, your inpatient months are usually a bit more intense. My unopposed peds months were 32 weeks nursery and basic peds inpatient. The FM residents from med school did a full tertiary referral center peds rotation with insanely sick kids - acute chest, post-surgical, insane zebra cases, and so on. Same with adult ICU months. Mine were open ICU on regular inpatient - sick patients but usually at least mildly stable. University-based were the patients on 3 pressors, intubated, coding every few hours, that sort of thing.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a little more Mountain West / West Coast, but you might find that many of the Kaiser programs are up your alley. From what I hear, they actually do really great population health type medicine.
That would make sense. From my admittedly poor east-cost understanding, it seems like Kaiser can compete with some of the European countries in terms of research. You know, the studies that enroll hundreds of thousands of patients because they are all in the same system.

Sounds boring. Except for the light OB part lol. My happiest and busiest months are inpatient at my program but we are very inpatient heavy (you're not looking for McLeod in SC lol).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

If looking at FL, I hear Morton Plant is super chill, outpt heavy, and a nice environment.
My program is inpatient heavy and pretty intense.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Any thoughts on say ECU?

I know this may not add to what you're looking for.. but someone once told me that to know alot more about what you don't like is better than to know just a little about what you do like, or something like that.

Aka. Don't limit your options.

If you decide into/post residency that you hate outpatient and would like some inpatient/ob, than you're going to be screwed because of the lack of exposure.

Use the 3 years to experience it all.. than narrow.

-PGY-3

Reactions: 1 users
I know this may not add to what you're looking for.. but someone once told me that to know alot more about what you don't like is better than to know just a little about what you do like, or something like that.

Aka. Don't limit your options.

If you decide into/post residency that you hate outpatient and would like some inpatient/ob, than you're going to be screwed because of the lack of exposure.

Use the 3 years to experience it all.. than narrow.

-PGY-3
I agree with The above. Get as much out of residency as you can before you don't have access anymore. I have had a chance to learn endoscopy/colonoscopy in residency, an option I would rarely have out in practice. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user