Height Issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7Days

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

So I have this question thats been in my head for a long time. Does how tall you are affect becoming a dentist? I have never seen a short male dentist or doctor anywhere. I can't find any threads on short people in the dental/medical field. So far I have not seen any problems affecting me because of my height when shadowing a dentist. What do you guys think? (By the way I am a 5'2 male).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My wife is 5'2. Her height has no affect on her job. She does ask me for help on extractions sometimes haha.

That's why the chairs go up and down....

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit of a generalization but for the most part short people have healthier backs compared to tall people. Less torque and overall forces over a lifespan. Shorter dentist are probably able to have longer careers on average than tall dentist. You should see it as an advantage. Also, having small hands can be advantageous as long as they are still strong.

Reactions: 5 users
You could just stand by the chair rather than sit lol

As a short person standing at a whopping 5'0, I've actually thought about this before ... When I was dental assisting, my feet struggled to reach the floor sometimes :arghh: On the plus side, I have tiny hands, so at least there's an advantage to being petite! I've seen some dentists stand while they worked, while others sat in saddle chairs. Use whatever that will make you comfortable and better able to reach into the patient's mouth at the proper height. There's a hygienist at my office who's 5'0 as well and she's doing fine while she sits, so if she can do it, I'm sure a dentist at the same height will too.

Reactions: 1 users
From my shadowing experience at a few med schools, dental schools, hospitals and dental offices, I found it odd that men studying and practicing medicine on average tend to be taller people.

It's a psychological thing. Taller seems more dominant or authoritative than small people. Same thing men vs women. Not to hate just a common thing over the centuries.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!

So I have this question thats been in my head for a long time. Does how tall you are affect becoming a dentist? I have never seen a short male dentist or doctor anywhere. I can't find any threads on short people in the dental/medical field. So far I have not seen any problems affecting me because of my height when shadowing a dentist. What do you guys think? (By the way I am a 5'2 male).
The doctor i work with who is on the board, he's like 5"4. He is around my height. And he happens to be one of the best in my area! Height doesn't matter it's all about you!!

This is a bit of a generalization but for the most part short people have healthier backs compared to tall people. Less torque and overall forces over a lifespan. Shorter dentist are probably able to have longer careers on average than tall dentist. You should see it as an advantage. Also, having small hands can be advantageous as long as they are still strong.
Haha even if you just made this up, I'm taking it as scientific fact. Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
height is pretty important I'd imagine. There are numerous studies supporting that taller people make better impression during interviews and are more likely to be successful than their shorter peers. I am 5'10 so I can't speak from either side lol.

However in dating, if youre a guy and you're short........

height is pretty important I'd imagine. There are numerous studies supporting that taller people make better impression during interviews and are more likely to be successful than their shorter peers. I am 5'10 so I can't speak from either side lol.

That's a load of crap.........

It all comes down to confidence and your social awareness.

If you have your height working against you it is only because YOU are insecure about it. Others don't take the fact that you are short against you until they find a reason to.

Don't even get me started on dating

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

If you have your height working against you it is only because YOU are insecure about it. Others don't take the fact that you are short against you until they find a reason to.

so you're saying a 5'4 guy can get ANY girl he wants if he's confident?

sy44zq.jpg

Seriously? "A load of crap" wow calm down... It seems to me you are very insecure despite what you are saying. Please respect others opinion.

Can you post the links where they proved that in a study? This is the first I've heard of that.... I have heard that attractive people are more liked by others in the professional field. Then again beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so there is no set standard on what is perceived to be attractive or not. And i highly doubt height will be the deal breaker on getting a job.

According to my chart that makes you the king of manlets.

Really though, height isn't a big deal.

Aren't you in med school Jack? I see you on literally every single subforum on SDN. get back to studying!

Aren't you in med school Jack? I see you on literally every single subforum on SDN. get back to studying!
I'm really good at what I do, what can I say. I can SDN 100 posts per day and still end up with solid grades easy.

And I generally use the New Post button to find threads, so I kind of end up wherever looks interesting.

Can you post the links where they proved that in a study? This is the first I've heard of that.... I have heard that attractive people are more liked by others in the professional field. Then again beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so there is no set standard on what is perceived to be attractive or not. And i highly doubt height will be the deal breaker on getting a job.

http://timothy-judge.com/Height paper--JAP published.pdf

oh and height IS a deal breaker in employment, why else would there be a revised legislation in the Utah law for employment?

http://epubs.utah.edu/index.php/ulr/article/viewFile/246/218

Hi!

I worked with two surgeons (one cardiothoracic and one pediatric surgeon) that were in the 5'2ish range at a top teaching hospital. If they can become leading surgeons, you can become a dentist for sure.

Short man syndrome....

http://timothy-judge.com/Height paper--JAP published.pdf

oh and height IS a deal breaker in employment, why else would there be a revised legislation in the Utah law for employment?

http://epubs.utah.edu/index.php/ulr/article/viewFile/246/218
This article talks about how being tall gives you self confidence thus making you more successful in your employment area. Ive seen multiple people 5"8 and below who are equally confident and make over $120,000 annually. Its all in the head. If you believe that you aren't good enough then you wont be successful. Self confidence makes you more attractive in other people's eyes. And you dont need to be tall to have it.
It all comes down to perspective of what you think. I believe that if you are determined to be successful nothing will stop you, including height.

Smaller hands means more maneuverability

My mom is 4'11" and has been practicing dentistry for more than 20 years :):):)

So please, let me know how it feels to be less successful than a 4'11" dentist :p

I'm short, but to compensate I got buff. Girls like buff.