Hello from psyd program!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MontanaWu2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there! My name is MontanaWu (MWu for short) and I am a psyd doctoral student of psychology at the california school for professional psychology!Much questions are posed about these programs and as a first year I would be happy to share my experiences! Please ask away my fellow doctors of psychology!

MWu

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there! My name is MontanaWu (MWu for short) and I am a psyd doctoral student of psychology at the california school for professional psychology!Much questions are posed about these programs and as a first year I would be happy to share my experiences! Please ask away my fellow doctors of psychology!

Ok, I'll take the bait.

1. Unless you are paying for your program out of pocket from savings or from parents, you will likely finish your program with 3 times the debt of your starting salary, and much more than you will likely every made per anum as a psychologist. Please elaborate on your decision making process for fellow applicants.

***Please note, I do not really find "because there is IBR and loan forgiveness programs" to be a satisfactory answer here because, guess who pays for those programs? All of us (taxpayers). I don't think I should be paying for someone else to access education that is typically exorbitant in cost compared to the average Ph.D. program. I do not think it is a coincidence that tuition at these types of program is equal to or slightly above the maximum yearly federal student loan disbursement. Do you?

2. Did you take into consideration the generally embarrassingly bad outcome data (debt load, match rates, EPPP pass rates, employment 2 years post degree) from CSPP campuses? I think some campuses are "less bad" than others, of course.

3. If you had to provide a training philosophy/motto for your particular school, what would it say?

4. How does one continue to support/endorse the statement
Do you prefer the clinical work over the research? Then PsyD may be best option!
in the face of this data, point number 30.

https://appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2012Part3.aspx

My reading of this data is that Psy.D programs provide less of one thing (research) NOT more of another (clinical training/work). What is your interpretation of this data?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user