Hello I need some advice in which class should i take in my second year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milly.1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it sound a bit too soon to asking this kind of question since im just finish my first semester and I start the new one in January, but sometimes it comes in conversation with my family what classes I should take to be more prepare for the class that are more challenging. So I am now taking Biology I and next semester i will take Biology II starting with PreCalculus I. My plan next year was Chemistry, Genetics and PreCalculus II. I know second semester of Bio II will discuss the basic of genetics but very detailed so im wondering if its a good class to take.

Right now classes im taking
Social Science (3)
Biology I with lab (4)
Fundaments of Algebra (3)
Spanish (3)
Theology (since a Catholic Univeristy) (3)

Courses Im taking next Semester
PreCalculus (3)
Biology II with lab (4)
Political Science (3)
Art Appreciation (3)
Business Communication (3)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know it sound a bit too soon to asking this kind of question since im just finish my first semester and I start the new one in January, but sometimes it comes in conversation with my family what classes I should take to be more prepare for the class that are more challenging. So I am now taking Biology I and next semester i will take Biology II starting with PreCalculus I. My plan next year was Chemistry, Genetics and PreCalculus II. I know second semester of Bio II will discuss the basic of genetics but very detailed so im wondering if its a good class to take.

It's not clear which class you're asking about when you say "I'm wondering if it's a good class to take."

If you mean Bio II, yes, you should take it. You can't really progress through the chain of classes without it. And it's no more difficult than Bio I.

If you meant Genetics ... I don't think it matters. Some people <really> struggle with genetics, some people don't. And a lot of it depends on how it's taught. Personally, I liked it and found it to be straightforward, and I don't think you need to be particularly far along in the progression to take it.

If you meant Chemistry .... yes, you should get started on those classes for the same reason you should take Bio II.

A lot of it is pretty much just plodding through the already-established progression: Chem I -> Chem II -> Orgo, and Bio I -> Bio II, so that you can have the Biochemistry pre-reqs done.

Out of that mix, I would take at least Bio II and Chem I for sure. At some point you'll have to stick Physics in, but I think it makes sense to do something like Genetics now and Physics later.

In general, assuming you're doing some sort of Biology / Animal Sciences degree, you probably want to keep plugging away with a core Biology and core Chemistry class most semesters and stack all the odds 'n ends around those.

Last edited:
It's not clear which class you're asking about when you say "I'm wondering if it's a good class to take."

If you mean Bio II, yes, you should take it. You can't really progress through the chain of classes without it. And it's no more difficult than Bio I.

If you meant Genetics ... I don't think it matters. Some people <really> struggle with genetics, some people don't. And a lot of it depends on how it's taught. Personally, I liked it and found it to be straightforward, and I don't think you need to be particularly far along in the progression to take it.

If you meant Chemistry .... yes, you should get started on those classes for the same reason you should take Bio II.

A lot of it is pretty much just plodding through the already-established progression: Chem I -> Chem II -> Orgo, and Bio I -> Bio II, so that you can have the Biochemistry pre-reqs done.

Out of that mix, I would take at least Bio II and Chem I for sure. At some point you'll have to stick Physics in, but I think it makes sense to do something like Genetics now and Physics later.

In general, assuming you're doing some sort of Biology / Animal Sciences degree, you probably want to keep plugging away with a core Biology and core Chemistry class most semesters and stack all the odds 'n ends around those.
I meant by that that this next semester I will take Bio II for sure. My question was if its was good to combine Chemistry I and Genetic but, as you told me earlier, it does not need another course knowledge to take it. I was really not sure how to organize my classes but now in the way you told me I know for sure how to keep organize and without rush my years doing this bachelor. Thanks really :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I meant by that that this next semester I will take Bio II for sure. My question was if its was good to combine Chemistry I and Genetic but, as you told me earlier, it does not need another course knowledge to take it. I was really not sure how to organize my classes but now in the way you told me I know for sure how to keep organize and without rush my years doing this bachelor. Thanks really :)

Yes you can take Chem I and Genetics at the same time. No reason that you can't. You will need to take multiple science classes in one semester if you ever want to get through your degree or if you want to apply to vet school.

Yes you can take Chem I and Genetics at the same time. No reason that you can't. You will need to take multiple science classes in one semester if you ever want to get through your degree or if you want to apply to vet school.

I know and I have too. Im still in first year taking Bio and plan right now is to get rid of the humanities this first year and summer to concentrate in just science and math the other years and so...I hope its a good idea.

I know and I have too. Im still in first year taking Bio and plan right now is to get rid of the humanities this first year and summer to concentrate in just science and math the other years and so...I hope its a good idea.

You can do it any number of ways; and that plan should be fine. I think the important thing is sitting down and roughly mapping it out all the way through to make sure it all fits. Science degrees with their pre-reqs can get confusing. So just take a look at what you need, make a roadmap that gets you there, and then stack all the assorted requirements (humanities, math, whatever) around it.

You probably want to avoid something like Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biochemistry all in the same semester, but taking Bio II, Chemistry I, and Genetics isn't unreasonable.

You probably want to avoid something like Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biochemistry all in the same semester, .

Damn it, I did it wrong again... I never do anything right.. ;)

All joking aside, LIS is right. You probably want to avoid a bunch of upper level science courses at once. It isn't impossible to do, but it really does suck.

Reactions: 1 user
You can do it any number of ways; and that plan should be fine. I think the important thing is sitting down and roughly mapping it out all the way through to make sure it all fits. Science degrees with their pre-reqs can get confusing. So just take a look at what you need, make a roadmap that gets you there, and then stack all the assorted requirements (humanities, math, whatever) around it.

You probably want to avoid something like Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biochemistry all in the same semester, but taking Bio II, Chemistry I, and Genetics isn't unreasonable.

I will do that as well. I really need to organize this after the finals to not get my mind away from my studies and so on. Thanks for your help though, it really help me to think what to do in my future in my bachelor~

"Saving" the science prereqs is the harder way to do things, but the biggest benefit is having more time before committing to a major (or the science courses). If you want a balanced education I would split things up in a balanced way. Friends that have done that seem to have an easier time than the way I did (already had a degree, so did 100% science prereqs). On the bright side going form 18 hours of science courses in UG to 18-21 hours of science courses in vet school has been a fairly straight forward transition for me.

As somebody who has advised undergraduates, I'd suggest you plan out your schedule carefully. Getting your pre-requisites out of the way is all well and good, but by the way science classes are scheduled, you may only be able to take a certain number in a semester, or you may have issues with taking some upper-division ones when you need because you didn't fulfill an earlier science pre-requisite.

Coming from a school where in almost all cases, science classes were MWF and labs were TTh, many times I couldn't schedule more than 3-4 without my labs overlapping. For science majors at that school, you actually took a pretty even mix of science/non-science throughout your undergraduate career, unlike non-science majors who generally take all their gen eds at once and and then only major courses for their last two years.

I'd recommend also talking to your adviser if you have one. They're there to help you with the nuances of course planning and might catch something school-specific about your degree program. That way, if you've planned something and it doesn't work for whatever reason, they can catch it quick.

Reactions: 1 user
As somebody who has advised undergraduates, I'd suggest you plan out your schedule carefully. Getting your pre-requisites out of the way is all well and good, but by the way science classes are scheduled, you may only be able to take a certain number in a semester, or you may have issues with taking some upper-division ones when you need because you didn't fulfill an earlier science pre-requisite.

Coming from a school where in almost all cases, science classes were MWF and labs were TTh, many times I couldn't schedule more than 3-4 without my labs overlapping. For science majors at that school, you actually took a pretty even mix of science/non-science throughout your undergraduate career, unlike non-science majors who generally take all their gen eds at once and and then only major courses for their last two years.

I'd recommend also talking to your adviser if you have one. They're there to help you with the nuances of course planning and might catch something school-specific about your degree program. That way, if you've planned something and it doesn't work for whatever reason, they can catch it quick.
I know the sciences classes are schedules and all that so that why I want to be free from the other classes when it comes to second year only taking my Precalculus class as well some sciences course that are require for going to vet school. I should really talk to my advisor next semester before the classes are over and we can choose which class have. I don't have any problem with English anymore since I took my advanced placement and only taking one which is Business Comunication. I could choose another science class this semester but the College I am right now require a class that takes my time away but those classes will be away next year. Thanks for the advice though and everyone that have been helpful.

I also have my curriculum of all my classes so I can be organized in making my next schedule next year