Hello, it is a list I am looking for! 3.77 cGPA, 39 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohtacos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a current senior at a top 20 school (with slightly unique circumstances I won't really get into), and I am looking for a potential list of medical schools that I should look to apply to (after a gap year) based on my stats. Thanks in advance!

Majors:
- Biology
- Literature and Creative Writing

Minor:
- Public Policy

cGPA: 3.74 (grades tanked in one semester of soph year due to a family emergency and illness. upward trend though)
sGPA: 3.82
MCAT: 39

Research:
- Cancer Genomics (2 years, 1 pub)
- Cell Metabolic Pathways (1 year, 1 pub)
- Immunology (1 semester + 1 summer)
- Honors thesis on genomics

ECs:
- Hospital volunteer work (200+ hours)
- Shadowing (oncology, emergency medicine, ~100 hours)
- Health Advisory Board (2 years member, 1 year president)
- Health Awareness Conferences (1 year delegate- winner, 2 years co-chair)
- Film Maker/Language Consultant (1 year, public health oriented)
- Co- president of program that develops health awareness workshops for children (2 years)
- Co-founder of program that works with smoking cessation in local schools
- Writer for school newspaper (2 years)
- Artistic and Creative assistant for theater productions (2 semesters)
- Participated in a public health service trip (1 semester)
- Public Health delegate at various international conferences
- Volunteer at center for autistic children (1 year)

Other (prob not important):
- Piano (haha)
- Fluent in 3 languages
- Studied abroad in 2 other countries
- Significant mathematics background (based on coursework)
- Was working during all summers
- Great LORS

That's about it. I am most likely taking a gap year to continue working on my research, but I'm wondering if that will hurt my chances.

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for all the details!)

Members don't see this ad.

You're golden, aim high!

Consider:
Harvard
Yale
JHU
Wash U
Stanford
U Chicago, espe. if you're from the midwest
Your state schools, if any.
USC
Duke
Pitt
Northwestern
Vandy
Baylor
NYU
BU
Mt Sinai
U Penn
U MI
U VA
U CO
U AZ
U VM
Stony Brook
U Cincy
Loyola
Yulane
U Miami
Emory
Einstein

Hello!

I am a current senior at a top 20 school (with slightly unique circumstances I won't really get into), and I am looking for a potential list of medical schools that I should look to apply to (after a gap year) based on my stats. Thanks in advance!

Majors:
- Biology
- Literature and Creative Writing

Minor:
- Public Policy

cGPA: 3.74 (grades tanked in one semester of soph year due to a family emergency and illness. upward trend though)
sGPA: 3.82
MCAT: 39

Research:
- Cancer Genomics (2 years, 1 pub)
- Cell Metabolic Pathways (1 year, 1 pub)
- Immunology (1 semester + 1 summer)
- Honors thesis on genomics

ECs:
- Hospital volunteer work (200+ hours)
- Shadowing (oncology, emergency medicine, ~100 hours)
- Health Advisory Board (2 years member, 1 year president)
- Health Awareness Conferences (1 year delegate- winner, 2 years co-chair)
- Film Maker/Language Consultant (1 year, public health oriented)
- Co- president of program that develops health awareness workshops for children (2 years)
- Co-founder of program that works with smoking cessation in local schools
- Writer for school newspaper (2 years)
- Artistic and Creative assistant for theater productions (2 semesters)
- Participated in a public health service trip (1 semester)
- Public Health delegate at various international conferences
- Volunteer at center for autistic children (1 year)

Other (prob not important):
- Piano (haha)
- Fluent in 3 languages
- Studied abroad in 2 other countries
- Significant mathematics background (based on coursework)
- Was working during all summers
- Great LORS

That's about it. I am most likely taking a gap year to continue working on my research, but I'm wondering if that will hurt my chances.

Thanks in advance! (and sorry for all the details!)

You're golden, aim high!

Consider:
Harvard
Yale
JHU
Wash U
Stanford
U Chicago, espe. if you're from the midwest
Your state schools, if any.
USC
Duke
Pitt
Northwestern
Vandy
Baylor
NYU
BU
Mt Sinai
U Penn
U MI
U VA
U CO
U AZ
U VM
Stony Brook
U Cincy
Loyola
Yulane
U Miami
Emory
Einstein

Awesome, thanks so much! I was worried that my GPA would hurt me.
Also, would my chances at Cornell or Columbia be good at all? (I'm in the northeast, and would sorta prefer to stay here)

Members don't see this ad :)
@ohtacos You should do well.

I came here to say I had the same MCAT and similar GPAs (though you listed a slightly different cGPA in your thread title than in your post). My situation is a bit different as I am several years out of school, but I think your ECs should get you plenty of traction. Check my MDApps for some ideas on your school list.

@Goro's list is another good place to start. I would caution you to be wary of applying to too many schools, especially if finances or time off work could be an issue. Take a close look at any school that puts you above 15-20 total.

To address your new post, you should be competitive for Columbia and Cornell.
Hurt? This is extremely common. Is there a particular reason you think it may hurt you?

Reactions: 1 user
@ohtacos You should do well.

I came here to say I had the same MCAT and similar GPAs (though you listed a slightly different cGPA in your thread title than in your post). My situation is a bit different as I am several years out of school, but I think your ECs should get you plenty of traction. Check my MDApps for some ideas on your school list.

@Goro's list is another good place to start. I would caution you to be wary of applying to too many schools, especially if finances or time off work could be an issue. Take a close look at any school that puts you above 15-20 total.

To address your new post, you should be competitive for Columbia and Cornell.
Hurt? This is extremely common. Is there a particular reason you think it may hurt you?

Thanks for the reply! Oh crap, sorry. The one in the title is not my current GPA, but the one I expect to have after I graduate. The one in my post is my current GPA.
As for the gap year, a lot of people are telling me that it is risky to put off medical school for a year, since it is possible that I could be accepted at a mid-tier medical school with my current stats. I feel like taking a year off (even if it is for research) would make me lose my edge.
I don't know, I guess I am a little uncomfortable with taking a year off, but I think it would be wise considering I have worked during all my summers as an undergraduate. If it's not a big deal to medical schools though, as your reply insinuates, then I guess it'll be okay.

Yup, you're good for those too. Suggest deleting some further away schools and add Hofstra to the list.

Awesome, thanks so much! I was worried that my GPA would hurt me.
Also, would my chances at Cornell or Columbia be good at all? (I'm in the northeast, and would sorta prefer to stay here)

As for the gap year, a lot of people are telling me that it is risky to put off medical school for a year, since it is possible that I could be accepted at a mid-tier medical school with my current stats. I feel like taking a year off (even if it is for research) would make lose my edge.
I don't know, I guess I am a little uncomfortable with taking a year off, but I think it would be wise considering I have been worked during all my summers as an undergraduate. If it's not a big deal to medical schools though, as your reply insinuates, then I guess it'll be okay.
This would be the first I've heard of a gap year being seen as a risk. It's virtually the norm these days on the interview trail, especially perhaps at the most competitive schools. If you're doing something you want to do, adcoms will look on it favorably--and medicine-related research would be beyond reproach.

A gap year is essentially elective for you. I think your application looks good enough to get in now, and it will be good enough later, maybe even somewhat enhanced by more research experience. If you'd rather have a year off, take it, and if you'd rather be in med school, like, yesterday, don't take it.

This would be the first I've heard of a gap year being seen as a risk. It's virtually the norm these days on the interview trail, especially perhaps at the most competitive schools. If you're doing something you want to do, adcoms will look on it favorably--and medicine-related research would be beyond reproach.

A gap year is essentially elective for you. I think your application looks good enough to get in now, and it will be good enough later, maybe even somewhat enhanced by more research experience. If you'd rather have a year off, take it, and if you'd rather be in med school, like, yesterday, don't take it.

So relieved! Glad to hear that it's more normal than I anticipated. Thanks, I feel a lot better about taking a gap year.
And good luck to you!

Are you graduating in May? If you are you'll be taking a gap year. The question is do you want to take 2 gap years. If not you are fine to apply in June for matriculation in 2016.