Hello?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hornet871

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's talk, EM, boys. What are the best programs, what are the worst programs, how many programs do most people apply to? I'm green in this game, so hook me up with the relevant info.

How competitive does EM look to be this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I think EM will continue to be a competitive field. I think it always will be, actually.

As for the best programs, that is debatable. of course people will name places like Denver, blah blah, but really I dont' think there are any BAD programs. I believe Howard University lost their accreditation... but other than there I think anywhere you go, be it PGY1-3 or 1-4, you will be ready to practice EM.

I'll be applying in, sigh, a month. I suppose I should get a master list of the places I"ll be putting down on my ERAS. It just looks to be such a monumental task of where to apply...

Without asking you to reveal which places you're going to apply to, what factors will go into your decision about where to apply?

Let's suppose that all programs are pretty good - i.e., there are no bad programs. I guess I'm more curious about which programs are competitive, then, since I'd like to apply to about 10 long-shots, 10 realistic ones, and 10 less competitive ones. You know, hedge my bets and all.

How to go about finding out which program are competitive? I know that at places like Hennepin County, if you didn't break 230 on the boards and rank pretty highly in your class, you have no shot. At least, that's what two residents there told me.

Have you signed up for the SAEM mentoring program? www.saem.org You don't have to be a member.

I'm thinking I want a place where EM runs the resus, even the traumas. I want a place that supports resident research. I'd like to live in a small to medium size city, and the hospital should provide parking. That's as about as far on my list as I've gotten. I'm certain there are a number of things that I'm assuming will be there, but that I need to ask about.