HELP! 5 weeks out. Kaplan Section Tests or TPRH SW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaker here with 5 weeks to go. I only have 3 AAMC's left so I'm gonna do one a week in the last three weeks but before then and in between I want to do as much practice as humanly possible (scored a 7/6/8 in August but have been following a modified SN2'ed and have noticed quite a bit of improvements in all areas).

Would it be a better use of my time to go through all the Kaplan Section tests or the TPRH SW passages? REALLY wanting at least a 28+

Members don't see this ad.

Hey fellow texan,

You should try Kaplan Section tests - they are useful for exposing any content gaps as well as preparing you for difficult passages you might see on test day. I personally felt their PS section tests were far superior to TPRH SW physics passages. However, I really liked the bio passages in TPRH SW over kaplan BS section tests.

And don't worry if you score 60-70% on the section tests. These are challenging exams meant to prepare you for the worst.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fellow texan,

You should try Kaplan Section tests - they are useful for exposing any content gaps as well as preparing you for difficult passages you might see on test day. I personally felt their PS section tests were far superior to TPRH SW physics passages. However, I really liked the bio passages in TPRH SW over kaplan BS section tests.

And don't worry if you score 60-70% on the section tests. These are challenging exams meant to prepare you for the worst.

If I were to do all the PS section tests do their passages cover all the different topics? I just wanna make sure I don't leave any stones unturned which is why I considered going through all the TPRHSW passages.

If I were to do all the PS section tests do their passages cover all the different topics? I just wanna make sure I don't leave any stones unturned which is why I considered going through all the TPRHSW passages.
There are some section tests that are awfully heavy on one topic. The others are nicely balanced as I remember. But remember, this is exactly how MCAT is these days - check other testers' opinions on older exam dates. There are people who were expecting a balanced exam but were hammered by 2-3 content topics being tested over and over again in PS/BS. I know the same was for my BS on Nov 7th exam. So kaplan exams will definitely help you.

Also, I know exactly how you feel - you really don't want to leave out any practice material, but remember, it is about studying smartly. I myself planned to do Kaplan BS section tests, TPRH bio passages and on top of that TBR Bio. But in the end, I stuck with a few Kaplan section tests for BS and did a lot of TPRH SWB. For physics, after finishing TBR books, I did as many Kaplan PS section tests as I could before moving on to FLs. And I'm really glad I did that because it unified my content and practice much better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you not have time for both? With 5 weeks left, what's stopping you from using both resources instead of just one?
As with any company test prep material, it's better to have some degree of mixing than rely solely on one company's books/material.
If it really does have to come down between one or the other (as in you're in the market and only want to shell out dough for one or the other), I'd personally recommend TPR SW because it's so vast and is wonderful quality for the amount of practice. In terms of a practice book, I don't think you can beat it.

Since you mentioned you're a retaker, I wouldn't focus on either source if you've already taken those questions. Now if both books are new to you, I'd side with TPRH SW between the two of them.

Retaker here with 5 weeks to go. I only have 3 AAMC's left so I'm gonna do one a week in the last three weeks but before then and in between I want to do as much practice as humanly possible (scored a 7/6/8 in August but have been following a modified SN2'ed and have noticed quite a bit of improvements in all areas).

Would it be a better use of my time to go through all the Kaplan Section tests or the TPRH SW passages? REALLY wanting at least a 28+

What were your aamc practice test scores prior to your first attempt?