HELP! 501 MCAT and looking to apply for policy and management programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogwood.22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm a rising senior undergraduate and I've recently undergone some career choice decisions. While it would be amazing to fulfill my 5-year-old self's dreams of becoming a physician, I have come to terms that it is not the correct path for me to take. However this decision was fairly recent and I took the MCAT in June, and haven't made any plan to take the GRE. I scored a 501 ( 125 C/P, 125 CARS, 125 B/B, 126 P/S) which 50th percentile. How does this score look for applying to MPH programs? Will it get me past the initial standardized testing barrier given that other parts of my application attain qualification?

This is given the scenario that I attend a program directly after I graduate. I'm interested in health policy analysis, have a fair amount of experience working in direct service for health disparities and currently in an internship with a public health management community organization. However I'm fairly late to the party because of the whole not being a doctor situation and would have to scramble to take the GRE if this dang MCAT isn't good enough.

The other option would be to look for a job after graduation, which would also give me some time to study for a quality GRE score (and maybe even LSAT for dual JD, idkkkkk). However this will take a lot of research and I'm not sure how my prospects would look with my personal uncertainty and track record for running head first at something only to find out I don't like it.

TL;DR: rising senior bio major/health policy minor @ large state school honors program with experience with health disparities and public health decides she doesn't want to be a doctor. is she qualified for a health policy graduate program or should she try to get some entry-level experience first?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your MCAT is average for allopathic medical schools, then I'm not sure why you think it will be bad for MPH programs. It is much, much, much easier to be admitted to MPH programs than medical schools. If you truly are worried, call the schools you're interested in and ask them how your MCAT score fares.