Help a future hopeful brother out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sloo0

Here we go.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So, long story short, was scoring mid 240s-mid 250s on NBMEs and UWSA, I haven't calculated the average but I'd say it was low 250s, got my score back and it's a 232 Step 1, while I knew coming out of the exam I messed up, I definitely didnt envision myself scoring below a 240.

My class rank is ridiculously high and I assume I will do fairly well in 3rd year and on Step 2.

How are my chances in terms of matching EM? Do I even stand a chance at the high end EM programs?

Networking is not my forte, I don't have the personality where I can suck up to people etc. that being said I am very easy to get a long with,im not shy or awkward, just not the type who will constantly smile and nod my head and say "Oh!" while an attending is speaking---so I'm guessing my SLORS will be average.

My Step 1 score is pretty shocking, if you asked anyone in my class who knows me what they think my Step 1 score would be not a single person would say less than 250, so with that in mind I'm assuming my Step 2 CK will be significantly higher.

Should I simply be happy that my Step1 score will allow me to even try for EM or is it still possible for me to be able to match at the elite programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So, long story short, was scoring mid 240s-mid 250s on NBMEs and UWSA, I haven't calculated the average but I'd say it was low 250s, got my score back and it's a 232 Step 1, while I knew coming out of the exam I messed up, I definitely didnt envision myself scoring below a 240.

My class rank is ridiculously high and I assume I will do fairly well in 3rd year and on Step 2.

How are my chances in terms of matching EM? Do I even stand a chance at the high end EM programs?

Networking is not my forte, I don't have the personality where I can suck up to people etc. that being said I am very easy to get a long with,im not shy or awkward, just not the type who will constantly smile and nod my head and say "Oh!" while an attending is speaking---so I'm guessing my SLORS will be average.

My Step 1 score is pretty shocking, if you asked anyone in my class who knows me what they think my Step 1 score would be not a single person would say less than 250, so with that in mind I'm assuming my Step 2 CK will be significantly higher.

Should I simply be happy that my Step1 score will allow me to even try for EM or is it still possible for me to be able to match at the elite programs?

I'd say this post is pretty shocking.

Doesn't matter what anyone would say your score would be, your score is your score, and the biggest predictor of Step 2 score is, guess what, Step 1 score.

You remind me of so many people I was so glad to separate myself from upon graduation. I hope you're good at hiding your personality on the interview trail.

got my score back and it's a 232 Step 1, while I knew coming out of the exam I messed up, I definitely didnt envision myself scoring below a 240.

You'll match. Beyond that, I have nothing to say, beyond a massive urge to say "go away". I say that before anyone else just gets silly and says you won't match, you better consider signing outside for FM right now, go into fast food, consider becoming an organ donor, or anything else.

You'll match, unless you are leaving out some huge, space-occupying piece of the story. And the "high end" programs might not be for you. Seriously. If you look at ANY thread that has to do with matching in the past 5 years on SDN EM, the recurrent (ad nauseam, ad absurdum) statement is the best program FOR YOU. Period. You might love Metropolitan, and hate Mt. Sinai. You might love Hennepin and hate HAEMR. You might love Dartmouth and hate Denver.

Just look at any thread that talks about what is looked at by programs. You want it distilled down? 1. Is this guy going to pass his boards? 2. Can I work with him for 3 or 4 years, or is he too much of a dolt or douchebag with which to deal, so don't even bother? To yourself alone, ask and answer these questions, and then step back, and concentrate on being there for every rotation, every day in 3rd year, whether you like the specialty or not. You know who is most annoying? The third year that you can't not like. The kid who doesn't complain, who always smiles, who always volunteers for more, without being a kiss-ass at the same time, and under whose skin you cannot get, despite your best personality-disorder, burned resident/fatigued into submission/haven't seen your kids awake in 5 weeks efforts.

edit: I was composing while EM2013 was posting his/her post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say this post is pretty shocking.

Doesn't matter what anyone would say your score would be, your score is your score, and the biggest predictor of Step 2 score is, guess what, Step 1 score.

You remind me of so many people I was so glad to separate myself from upon graduation. I hope you're good at hiding your personality on the interview trail.

Why are you so hostile? I didn't Coe here to try to brag or anything, people with a 232 don't brag. I was merely pointing out that my actual Step 1 score was drastically different than the average of the 7 practice tests that I took which if you look at trends is quite rare.

I was looking for advice, nothing more, but thanks for your response.

As far as hiding my personality, I think that would be counterproductive since most people tend to enjoy it, but I thank you for your suggestion.

You'll match. Beyond that, I have nothing to say, beyond a massive urge to say "go away". I say that before anyone else just gets silly and says you won't match, you better consider signing outside for FM right now, go into fast food, consider becoming an organ donor, or anything else.

You'll match, unless you are leaving out some huge, space-occupying piece of the story. And the "high end" programs might not be for you. Seriously. If you look at ANY thread that has to do with matching in the past 5 years on SDN EM, the recurrent (ad nauseam, ad absurdum) statement is the best program FOR YOU. Period. You might love Metropolitan, and hate Mt. Sinai. You might love Hennepin and hate HAEMR. You might love Dartmouth and hate Denver.

Just look at any thread that talks about what is looked at by programs. You want it distilled down? 1. Is this guy going to pass his boards? 2. Can I work with him for 3 or 4 years, or is he too much of a dolt or douchebag with which to deal, so don't even bother? To yourself alone, ask and answer these questions, and then step back, and concentrate on being there for every rotation, every day in 3rd year, whether you like the specialty or not. You know who is most annoying? The third year that you can't not like. The kid who doesn't complain, who always smiles, who always volunteers for more, without being a kiss-ass at the same time, and under whose skin you cannot get, despite your best personality-disorder, burned resident/fatigued into submission/haven't seen your kids awake in 5 weeks efforts.

edit: I was composing while EM2013 was posting his/her post.

Thanks, I didn't mean I want to match to high end programs from an elitist standpoint, but rather I just want to learn at the best possible program so that I set a strong foundation for myself as a physician.

As far as being a non kiss ass 3rd year, I am currently on an IM Hospitalist team with another female student and when our attending talks she literally nods her head constantly with a big smile and repeatedly says things like "oh" "wow" "ok" and I just can't do that, it's not my personality, that doesn't mean I do not smile, speak, or offer to do things when not asked, etc, but I understand what you are saying, thank you.

Thanks, I didn't mean I want to match to high end programs from an elitist standpoint, but rather I just want to learn at the best possible program so that I set a strong foundation for myself as a physician.

As far as being a non kiss ass 3rd year, I am currently on an IM Hospitalist team with another female student and when our attending talks she literally nods her head constantly with a big smile and repeatedly says things like "oh" "wow" "ok" and I just can't do that, it's not my personality, that doesn't mean I do not smile, speak, or offer to do things when not asked, etc, but I understand what you are saying, thank you.

This doesn't make you a good student in my eyes. I mean you can see right through it, what do you think an attending or resident that has been doing this for many years thinks? You shouldn't have to be constantly faking emotion. Be sincerely interested, hardworking, and knowledgeable. Thats just my opinion and it worked fine for me 3rd year.

Your Step 1 score is fine.
It will not close any doors.

It is the first is a bunch of steps you need to take.
Just keep doing the best you can on all of the future steps.
Clinical grades, LORs are probably much more important.

I get so tired of hearing the whining about success requiring ass-kissing. Having pleasant interactions with others and being a good co-worker is not "ass-kissing" unless you have a malignant and self-centered personality...

Why are you so hostile? I didn't Coe here to try to brag or anything, people with a 232 don't brag. I was merely pointing out that my actual Step 1 score was drastically different than the average of the 7 practice tests that I took which if you look at trends is quite rare.

I was looking for advice, nothing more, but thanks for your response.

As far as hiding my personality, I think that would be counterproductive since most people tend to enjoy it, but I thank you for your suggestion.

i think that people with a 232 should be able to brag, why should they not?

i think this is why EM2013 thinks you should hide your personality. maybe in person you are the coolest but right now you're coming across as egotistical and superior and that doesn't fly.

it's a shame that your class rank is only ridiculously high because i'm pretty sure the requirements are outlandishly high or better.

Your Step 1 score is superb, a 232 is nothing to be ashamed of. You exceed the national average for EM accepted residents by a good measure and will not have any problem getting into a great program. The reason why you've received some hostile remarks is because your complaining about a great score which is very off-putting and makes you come across as a smug a-hole and no one wants to be around people with that attitude. I'm sure your a great guy, but when you interview don't come across as you did in your OP - they'll see right through it and a lot of programs will not accept you because nobody wants to work with someone like that.

Dude anyone who has done even a few minutes of research into EM residencies or been on SDN as long as you have should know that a 230+ is a very solid score for nearly all programs.

Who cares about your NBME practice scores or that everyone in your class thinks you got over a 250?

Honestly, the tone of your post is far more "shocking" than your step 1 score.