Help a Hopkins admit out :)?

hopkinswannabe

JH Undergraduate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, having joined this forum lately, I find that there are tons of things to ask... lol

So I am currently a Johns Hopkins admit (I'm moving into Hopkins in late August), and but I know little to nothing about applying for med schools and how to go to my desired medical schools... Here's my wish list, and I know it's from a search that is by no means extensive - pardon me for my ignorance...heehee

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
University of Washington School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School

Also, this is my freshmen schedule:

Calc II
General Chemistry + Lab
General Biology + Lab
Writing about Films (Writing intensive course, which is required)
Intro to Fairy Tales(Writing intensive course, which is required; waitlisted)

I took AP Chem and Calc BC (self study). Other unrelated APs that I took or self studied are Physics C (both), Physics B, Micro, Psych, World History, and Lit.

Is my schedule enough to prep me for MCAT? Also, I was struggling between General Chem and Organic Chem, because while some people at Hopkins said that Organic chem is worth taking because Hopkins "hides" the first semester grades, and so I would be more accustomed to harder courses later on + get more MCAT prep, others said that Orgo chem is too rigorous for me (which I think it is) to take during freshmen year.

In addition I hope that Calc II isn't too slow for a med school aspirant... :( I see so many fellow bluejays flying way beyond, taking Calc III/Lin Alg/Diff Equations etc...

Also, if there are any Hopkins student/graduate, would you mind letting me know about volunteer opportunities around Hopkins? (preferrably related to medical stuff)

Many, many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You might want to talk to your professors about getting into research or in contact with some PIs on the medical campus. There's a free shuttle that runs between Homewood and the medical campus so you don't need a car to get to the labs at the medical school.

As far as classes, do what you like, just do it well.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the level of your math classes. Most of the time, med schools just want a semester or two of statistics and calculus. Computer science is sometimes recommended, but not required.

John Hopkins med school math requisites: "Calculus and/or statistics, one year (6-8 semester hours)"

University of Washington School of Medicine math requisites: "We recommend MATH 124, 144, or Q SCI 291 as a beginning course. We also recommend that students complete a statistics course in addition to calculus."

Dartmouth Medical School math requisites: "A half-year of calculus"

^math requisites quoted from each school's website. You should be golden.

Good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch people! Then I guess my sophomore year's schedule will be Orgo Chem, some kind of introductory Stats w/ calc, computer science, physics etc etc...

bandgeek0925//While I realize that I must eventually fulfill requirements for various schools (I want to apply to a lot of schools), is it a plus to med school admissions if I were to exceed the requirements? Or would it bring about more "bang per buck" if I were to do extracurricular activities?

Lastly - please excuse me for posting this thread in this category though, if the mods feel that this has nothing to do with high school tests (because I think I'd be considered a college student now) please do so... heheh

I'm not too familiar with how taking higher level classes would be perceived by adcoms. Personally, I would take the required classes and the recommended ones. I would say choose working on your EC's over taking a bunch of higher level classes. Unless your some kind of math or engineering major, I see no reason why you would need to know differential equations. Also, you're just increasing the risk of taking a class you will find extremely difficult, and tanking your GPA.

I'm not too familiar with how taking higher level classes would be perceived by adcoms. Personally, I would take the required classes and the recommended ones. I would say choose working on your EC's over taking a bunch of higher level classes. Unless your some kind of math or engineering major, I see no reason why you would need to know differential equations. Also, you're just increasing the risk of taking a class you will find extremely difficult, and tanking your GPA.

Yea, that's what I heard from a student who's going from JH undergraduate to UWSOM, and your comment completely agrees with his. My plans are pretty much consolidated... Just making sure that I'm on the right track. Thanks:)

This is much better suited for the pre-med forum. They know a lot more about applying to medical school.

What's your major? If it isn't mathematics/physics, you don't need to take upper division math classes. All you need is two semesters, usually one of stats and one of calc, but some applicants do others. If you want to take these classes, then more power to ya.

If you're going to graduate in the standard 4 years, taking Bio/Chem/Math in the first year is a great start. This means all you need is physics and orgo before you apply/take the MCAT and if you can slip genetics/biochem in somewhere apparently it helps with the exam.

Calc II the first semester is ABOVE average for med school applicants. A good percentage of med students don't even take Calc II at all and just take Calc I and stats.

In addition I hope that Calc II isn't too slow for a med school aspirant... :( I see so many fellow bluejays flying way beyond, taking Calc III/Lin Alg/Diff Equations etc...

chill - you will be fine with calc II and shouldn't need any more math than that.

don't worry about MCAT preparation. just taking the prereqs and getting some good review books will be all you need to do well. I also recommend taking physiology the semester before taking the MCAT -- lots of material relevant to the BS section.