Help a NY resident choose between PCOM and NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocInProgress

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people say PCOM is better than NYCOM but the tuition at NYCOM is slightly cheaper (right?). So, what should I go for and why?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I chose NYCOM due to location, friends, and family. I love the big apple and would want to be anywhere else. It is really up to you. Both are great schools and you will be great physician no matter which one you attend. I would look at what is important to you. Friends, family, location, tution, etc... That was how I chose a school and so far I have no complaints other than NYCOM's attendance policy. Good Luck. I am sure you will be a great physician.

Personally I chose NYCOM due to location, friends, and family. I love the big apple and would want to be anywhere else. It is really up to you. Both are great schools and you will be great physician no matter which one you attend. I would look at what is important to you. Friends, family, location, tution, etc... That was how I chose a school and so far I have no complaints other than NYCOM's attendance policy. Good Luck. I am sure you will be a great physician.

I just had interview with PCOM today. Great school. Frankly, I was under "MSUCOM is the greatest~" spell for quiet awhile but folks here talked some sense into me.
I'm interested in surgical oncology, oncology, hemo/onco field and I've got a match list from the admissions office today. Last year there were about 10% who went to surgery related specialty and over 30-40% who ended up in other specialty.
Actually visiting the school gave me much better idea on this 'finding the right school game.' I'm from philly and PCOM def suits my need and my family's. I hope I get the fat letter soon~ ^^ :laugh:
Good luck!

By the way, if you wanna see what med school the docs around your area went, do the search under the hospitals in your area and it should give their doc's med school. I did that here and found that about 95% of DO docs are PCOM graduates.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both great schools & both match a lot of people into many specialties. I'm under the impressiong that NYCOM is MORE expensive than PCOM, though - are you sure about it being less, OP?
It's a great choice to have - can't go wrong, just choose the one that feels right to you.

Has NYCOM even started interviewing? I thought that they did not begin looking at applications until early October.

Dont know about PCOM but def don't go to NYCOM. Worst administration ever! Just check the class threads. They started this new required attendance program which is taken via clickers. Too many things wrong here unless this is the last resort don't even think about it.

They are both great schools and you can't go wrong with either.

Make your decision based on where you want to spend four years, and where you want to be after. At either school, you can do your elective rotations anywhere, but if you think the NY area is where you want to end up after school, I'd pick NYCOM (and if you think the Philly area, go with PCOM). Reason being is you'll get more face time and experience in those hospitals which will help when it comes to applying to residencies.

By the way, NYCOM isn't really in New York City, it's on Long Island. I don't know exactly how far away it is from the city (maybe an hour or so, someone correct me if I'm wrong) but it's more in the suburbs than the Big Apple.

What if I wanted residency in another state such as Texas? Which school would be better? (include umdnj too)

I'm a NYer and had to choose between PCOM and NYCOM. My decision was not taken lightly and I weighed a variety of facts and opinions collected in person and on SDN. No one can give you this answer; go where you predict you will feel most happy while in school. You can get a residency in NY after going to PCOM or a residency in PA after going to NYCOM. Where you do residency mostly depends on your personality, grades, boards, and LORs.

I am really, really trying hard to keep my bias out of this post!

NYCOM is more expensive than PCOM

I am also from NY, and I go to PCOM. I think if you are really considering the option then if you get the chance take the 2 1/2 drive to Philly and see the school meet the people, so you can make an informed decision.

And NYCOM is located in Old Westbury, NY on the north shore of Long Island about 45 minutes from the city depending on traffic.

PCOM. You can do ur 4th yr electives anywhere, and it doesn't depend on school. NYCOM does have a good matchlist, but I know PCOM has a really low number of people that go into primary care so I'm guessing it maybe better speciality wise, I don't know about location though or hospital rep. at where they match.

And NYCOM vs UMDNJ? UMDNJ would probably win

But if u want to stay in NY or close to NYC go to NYCOM, just remeber we have attendance.

PCOM. You can do ur 4th yr electives anywhere, and it doesn't depend on school. NYCOM does have a good matchlist, but I know PCOM has a really low number of people that go into primary care so I'm guessing it maybe better speciality wise, I don't know about location though or hospital rep. at where they match.

And NYCOM vs UMDNJ? UMDNJ would probably win

But if u want to stay in NY or close to NYC go to NYCOM, just remeber we have attendance.

what about umdnj or pcom? what would you prefer?

go for the least expensive school...umdnj. (i hated the campus though) lol nycom has a very nice campus..that was worth a lot to me(as well as the ny rotations). spending two dreadful years on an ugly campus can suck...but then again...we didn't have mandatory attendance last year...

go for the least expensive school...umdnj. (i hated the campus though) lol nycom has a very nice campus..that was worth a lot to me(as well as the ny rotations). spending two dreadful years on an ugly campus can suck...but then again...we didn't have mandatory attendance last year...

Really? I thought the UMDNJ's campus was pretty nice, especially with the other science schools surrounding it (more interactive). The buildings at UMDNJ look nicer too.