Help/advice about testdate :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njinga413

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, im in some sort of a dilemma right now. I am taking the test on the 25th and i dont feel too good about it right now. I have taken 3 tests so far and have gotten a 26,19, and 18. I dont know whats going wrong because i have gone through all the review notes and i do good on the topical tests, yet dont seem to perform on the actual test! I am very demoralized right now because i felt confident after taking FL 2 but my scores are going down. I have upto the 11th to change my date without any additional cost which means i take the test in april next. But with the semesters coursework i dont know how much i ll be able to give to studying for the test.
If you guys who are doing well and can understand my situation please give me some advice on what to do and how to go on getting good scores, coz i do know the stuff its jst the test taking and the timing that kills me.
Any help will be appreciated thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, im in some sort of a dilemma right now. I am taking the test on the 25th and i dont feel too good about it right now. I have taken 3 tests so far and have gotten a 26,19, and 18. I dont know whats going wrong because i have gone through all the review notes and i do good on the topical tests, yet dont seem to perform on the actual test! I am very demoralized right now because i felt confident after taking FL 2 but my scores are going down. I have upto the 11th to change my date without any additional cost which means i take the test in april next. But with the semesters coursework i dont know how much i ll be able to give to studying for the test.
If you guys who are doing well and can understand my situation please give me some advice on what to do and how to go on getting good scores, coz i do know the stuff its jst the test taking and the timing that kills me.
Any help will be appreciated thanks

That list of scores you gave, are they in order? Did you get a 26 and then a 19 and then an 18? If that is the case your best bet would probably be to wait. If you understand the material that is a huge hurdle and it is great that you have already jumped over it! But the other half of the test is the test taking abilities. Unfortunately you can't will those away... You need practice! You can only get so much practice in the next 17 days.

Have you taken any of the AAMC exams? Honestly practicing old tests is the best way to improve. However, companies like Kaplan offer courses which not only teach you material, but also teach you test taking strategies. If you find you keep struggling perhaps the strategies offered by Kaplan would be helpful for you!

So, I can give better advice if I can find out, if those scores were in order, and here are a couple of other questions. Do you find that you get all of the discretes correct while the passage based questions are very difficult? What is the break down of your scores per each section, how high is your verbal?

Best of luck, I'd be happy to help out any more that I can!

I have been getting most of the discrete questions right. And yeah those are the scores i got in sequence. I got a 26 and 19 on the kaplan FL 2 and 3 and an 18 on the AAMC #3. Its my verbal which has been low i got a 5 and a 3. my PS is about 8 and BS about a 7. I dont seem to do well on the time and for the VR, i seem to always pick the wrong answer despite understanding the passage!...i have two more days before i can officially reschedule my test, without any fees.. but im not sure on what to do. Part of me says i can do better and get a good score and just to go for it and retake it after. Another part of me says i should i take my time and take the test in April. I dono..

Did you get a fee waiver or something because generally speaking you have to pay $50 to reschedule. And in your case I would definitely suggest doing so. I might be making the same decision. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
That list of scores you gave, are they in order? Did you get a 26 and then a 19 and then an 18? If that is the case your best bet would probably be to wait. If you understand the material that is a huge hurdle and it is great that you have already jumped over it! But the other half of the test is the test taking abilities. Unfortunately you can't will those away... You need practice! You can only get so much practice in the next 17 days.

Have you taken any of the AAMC exams? Honestly practicing old tests is the best way to improve. However, companies like Kaplan offer courses which not only teach you material, but also teach you test taking strategies. If you find you keep struggling perhaps the strategies offered by Kaplan would be helpful for you!

So, I can give better advice if I can find out, if those scores were in order, and here are a couple of other questions. Do you find that you get all of the discretes correct while the passage based questions are very difficult? What is the break down of your scores per each section, how high is your verbal?

Best of luck, I'd be happy to help out any more that I can!

How helpful are the kaplan strategies? Do they have any books you can get without taking their class? I am pretty much in the same situation in the person above: know my stuff, but having trouble with the actual tests and scoring well!

Definitely wait if at all possible. If you go in feeling uncomfortable, you won't perform as well. A couple more months and a few more good scores under your belt will definitely improve your confidence AND help your real score :)

wait for sure

I don't think you know the material as well as you think you know it... memorizing alone isn't enough... you've really gotta know the material... I think if you have a decent grasp of the material, you should be getting 9 - 10 on the science sections.

How helpful are the kaplan strategies? Do they have any books you can get without taking their class? I am pretty much in the same situation in the person above: know my stuff, but having trouble with the actual tests and scoring well!

Yea they do... If you get the Kaplan Premier program they go into test taking strategies (as well as a full content review.)

The class places a HUGE emphasis on test taking strategies, as the book places an emphasis on content. You go over content in the MCAT class but it is all within the context of test taking strategy.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!