HELP! Any advice/motivation for this reapplicant who is lost and quite discouraged!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldoctor805

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I've been having a really tough application cycle! And would appreciate any thoughts/advice/motivation.

Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.55

This is where the trouble starts! MCAT (Aug 2014): 24 (7 PS, 8 VR, 9 BS) and MCAT (Oct 2014): 26 (11 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS) I really thought that my first score was due to an eye issue that I have (I tried to apply for a larger font but was not granted) so I let many schools know about this and then YIKES! My score didn't improve!

I had a combo of pretty strong extra curricular recs (clinical volunteering as well as research) but some vague and general academic recs/committee letter.

I applied to 30+ schools, however most of them were M1 and I sent in my secondaries very very late (mid-October). I only got an interview at St. Georges in Grenada and I am waitlisted.

I am planning on taking the MCAT one more time this September but I am having a lot of issues getting over the slump that this year put me in! I'm terrified of not succeeding in my next MCAT and I become a little paralyzed! I would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are good enough for lower titer DO schools. So why don't you go DO? Unless you want to chase that MD initials

Members don't see this ad :)
You got waitlisted at SGU??? That's saying something right there.

Your MCAT scores are lethal for MD schools. For DO schools, apply broadly, especially tot he newer schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. Skip the coastal Touros, KCUMB, PCOM, Westerns, CCOM and AZCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I've been having a really tough application cycle! And would appreciate any thoughts/advice/motivation.

Here are my stats:

This is where the trouble starts! MCAT (Aug 2014): 24 (7 PS, 8 VR, 9 BS) and MCAT (Oct 2014): 26 (11 PS, 7 VR, 8 BS) I really thought that my first score was due to an eye issue that I have (I tried to apply for a larger font but was not granted) so I let many schools know about this and then YIKES! My score didn't improve!

I had a combo of pretty strong extra curricular recs (clinical volunteering as well as research) but some vague and general academic recs/committee letter.

I applied to 30+ schools, however most of them were M1 and I sent in my secondaries very very late (mid-October). I only got an interview at St. Georges in Grenada and I am waitlisted.

I am planning on taking the MCAT one more time this September but I am having a lot of issues getting over the slump that this year put me in! I'm terrified of not succeeding in my next MCAT and I become a little paralyzed! I would appreciate any and all advice! Thanks!
Your GPA is very similar to mine (nonsc 3.91, sc 3.59, cumulative 3.69) with attempt #1: 22, attempt #2: 29, but I have numerous hours of clinical experience with really strong recommendations.
I would attempt to re-take the MCAT (the new one is, in my opinion, a lot better). Also, get a job under a physician (particularly DO if you can then you can apply with stronger app to these schools) - scribing in a family practice or ER is a great way to go ;)

Did you have issues with practice MCATs or only the real ones?

You got waitlisted at SGU??? That's saying something right there.

Your MCAT scores are lethal for MD schools. For DO schools, apply broadly, especially tot he newer schools. I can't recommend LUCOM. Skip the coastal Touros, KCUMB, PCOM, Westerns, CCOM and AZCOM.

OP should consider that wait list a major blessing because they'd probably be there right now otherwise

Reactions: 1 users
I'm very surprised a 3.65/26 didn't get into a Carib school....might even those be getting competitive??

Here are my stats:

Don't take the MCAT again without taking an intensive prep course like Kaplan, also maybe you should try DO schools.

How did you prepare for the MCAT? Are you applying straight from undergrad or have you been out of school for some time? If so, how long have you been out?

I think taking a prep course (Kaplan, TPR, etc.) was the single most important factor in my MCAT performance. I won't recommend a specific company to use, but taking an in-person or at least a live-online course with regular class and study materials is likely to help you if you haven't already done that.

Also, while you're waiting for another chance to take the MCAT, you should buy as many different MCAT verbal reasoning study guides as you can find and do a few passages every day. VR is a skill that you can develop over time with strong effort, and which pays off on all sections of the exam.

Best of luck!