HELP! Applying to Caribbean Medical school (AISM)...help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DavisMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm planning to apply to med school in the Caribbean. I cant afford the big 4. So I'm considering American International School of Medicine in Guyana.

I have done some research and found that quite a few of their grads have obtained residencies even in things like surgery and their grads are eligible for certification in UK.

However I would like to actually hear from anyone who has had contact with the school. Can you provide any details or advice about the school? Is it a good option? Would i have problems getting residency?

If its important I intend to pursue a combined residency program in pediatrics and clinical genetics or OBGYN and clinical genetics.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't speak for UK
If you want to practice medicine in Guyana, sure.
If you want to practice medicine in US
240x196px-LL-e66ddef6_reverse-1253886001_office-no.gif

D mn, I'm having a bad hangover to elaborate why.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi I'm planning to apply to med school in the Caribbean. I cant afford the big 4. So I'm considering American International School of Medicine in Guyana.

I have done some research and found that quite a few of their grads have obtained residencies even in things like surgery and their grads are eligible for certification in UK.

However I would like to actually hear from anyone who has had contact with the school. Can you provide any details or advice about the school? Is it a good option? Would i have problems getting residency?

I perused the school's "website" and here are my findings:

Red flag #1: The institution has the words "American International" in its name
Red flag #2: There is no useful description of the physical resources (campus, classrooms, library, etc.)
Red flag #3: There is no useful description of the curriculum, other than being "similar to those offered in medical schools throughout the United States of America."
Red flag #4: There is no useful description of the faculty
Red flag #5: There is no useful description of the clinical clerkships
Red flag #6: There is no useful information on enrollment, and no attempt to even spin board passage, graduation, and/or match rates
Red flag #7: The page on graduates contains testimonials
Red flag #8: The most detailed information on the entire site is how much the degree will cost

Conclusion: Yes, you would have problems getting a residency position in the United States. Major problems.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Red flag #2: There is no useful description of the physical resources (campus, classrooms, library, etc.)
Red flag #3: There is no useful description of the curriculum, other than being "similar to those offered in medical schools throughout the United States of America."
Red flag #6: There is no useful information on enrollment, and no attempt to even spin board passage, graduation, and/or match rates
Red flag #8: The most detailed information on the entire site is how much the degree will cost

Conclusion: Yes, you would have problems getting a residency position in the United States. Major problems.
Aside from these minor issues though, it sounds perfect. :)

Reactions: 9 users

If its important I intend to pursue a combined residency program in pediatrics and clinical genetics or OBGYN and clinical genetics.

If you end up going there you could pursue a combined career in Wendy's and Arby's

Reactions: 14 users
I do like the fact the website has a link to the International Journal of Mosquito Research. That's always a good sign.

Also the reference to availability of snacks and NON- alcoholic beverages might be a red flag for those looking to party it up on an island for a few years.

Reactions: 5 users
Reactions: 2 users
I just don't understand how these threads keep popping up. Do people look around at all before posting these questions? Because I'm fairly certain there is a Carrib thread on the first page of pre-allo at all times.

what-not-to-say-to-short-girls-3.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I do like the fact the website has a link to the International Journal of Mosquito Research. That's always a good sign.

Also the reference to availability of snacks and NON- alcoholic beverages might be a red flag for those looking to party it up on an island for a few years.

Guyana isn't an island so it's actually worse than we thought!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't speak for UK
If you want to practice medicine in Guyana, sure.
If you want to practice medicine in US
240x196px-LL-e66ddef6_reverse-1253886001_office-no.gif

D mn, I'm having a bad hangover to elaborate why.
Can you elaborate now?
Really appreciate it.

I just don't understand how these threads keep popping up. Do people look around at all before posting these questions? Because I'm fairly certain there is a Carrib thread on the first page of pre-allo at all times.

what-not-to-say-to-short-girls-3.gif
There were an insufficient number of IMG's from Guyana to merit a mention in the NRMP's publication on the topic: http://www.ecfmg.org/resources/NRMP...atch-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf
The degree is not recognized by the CA Medical Board: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Medical_Schools/Schools_Recognized.aspx

Can you elaborate now?
Really appreciate it.

I can.

Don't. Don't go Caribbean. Even the big 4 schools have a very low rate of graduation, and low rate of graduates getting residencies in the US. This will only get worse as the AOA, ACGME merger means fewer US residency spots over all, and more competition from US graduates for those seats. Foreign medical graduates will be left out in the cold. Possibly you will get to be a doctor somewhere, IF you are lucky enough to graduate from the program and IF it is actually credentialed anywhere and isn't just a scam intended to separate desperate MD hopefuls from their money.

Allow me to find a link to the last couple of times that I had this conversation with someone...

i actually noticed that myself. BUT their students are obtainin residency. So...? Also i like you. Can you peruse this site and tell me your thoughts? cmumed.org

Any oter comments?
Many other states use California's list to determine whether a school is minimally acceptable.
There is no verifiable track record for their graduates.
I cannot recommend this school for someone hoping to practice in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...chopls-really-worth-it.1167111/#post-17046770
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...2015-vs-cusom-waitlist.1108371/#post-15905477

Those are good starters, that say everything that I could say to you again here. Here are the highlights:

By my informed estimation, the best off shore schools give you around a 25% chance of ending up with a degree and a residency. Without both, you will not become a US physician. Do the work to get into a legitimate medical school. If, after taking at least a couple of years to prepare yourself to apply, and then applying broadly for at least a couple of cycles, you still can't get into an MD or a DO school in the US, there is a reason, and you should probably rethink your goals. You can always find someone who is willing to prey upon your desires with false promises, so long as you are willing to pay them.

Heck, if you will pay *me* a mere 40k a year, I will set you up on an island* with some books and mediocre facilities and promise you that you will be a doctor someday. It will be as effective as going to an off shore medical school, and considerably cheaper, too.

Edited to add: *The "island" will actually be Presque Isle Peninsula on Lake Erie and the facilities will be a tent. But hey, there are lovely beaches, and 6 weeks of the year they aren't covered in snow dunes!

i actually noticed that myself. BUT their students are obtainin residency. So...? Also i like you. Can you peruse this site and tell me your thoughts? cmumed.org
This is a reflection of past and not the current or future climate. Fact is that several medical schools are opening up in the U.S. in the next 3 years, further edging out IMG's. Compounding that problem is the fact that the merger will close a chunk of the AOA residencies, tightening the belt even further. So yes, their students have gained residencies in the past, yes you will find attendings from the Caribbean running around everywhere, but is that the future? Signs point toward probably not.

Reactions: 1 user

Are you even from Guyana or ever been to Guyana? I know a friend to went to Guyana for a mission trip and heard not so many nice things about that place. Hope Medical Institute would be a better option than Guyana.

It was grape Flavor Aid.
Well...same difference. Kool-aid really did try to distance themselves from that. But the saying has stuck nonetheless.

They would if they paid attention to the details!
I'm glad we could move the discussion to this thread toward something truly important. =) I actually learned something. I didn't know the flavor or the brand of the beverage. I'd always believed the Kool-Aid misinformation, and for some reason, I figured it was tropical punch. I mean, that would make sense, wouldn't it?

I'm glad we could move the discussion to this thread toward something truly important. =) I actually learned something. I didn't know the flavor or the brand of the beverage. I'd always believed the Kool-Aid misinformation, and for some reason, I figured it was tropical punch. I mean, that would make sense, wouldn't it?
I wonder how many pre-meds in here have no idea what we are even talking about...as they quickly google Guyana and Kool-aid.

i actually noticed that myself. BUT their students are obtainin residency. So...?

That is rather difficult to discern. I can find one 2004 graduate who completed a family medicine residency at Meharry and is now in practice, and another is currently a PGY-2 at a community family medicine program in Illinois.

A third has worked in clinical research/corporate healthcare positions. I am not sure if this one attempted to obtain a residency position, however.

DavisMD said:
Also i like you. Can you peruse this site and tell me your thoughts? cmumed.org

If AISM puts one on the Arby's/Wendy's track, CMU looks more Applebee's/Ruby Tuesday.

Given the current GME climate in the United States, attending one of these medical school shacks is like playing career Russian roulette... with a pistol.

Last edited:
I wonder how many pre-meds in here have no idea what we are even talking about...as they quickly google Guyana and Kool-aid.

Nah... search it themselves? It would be easier to start a thread about it in pre-allo. "Hey, does anyone know anything about grape kool-aid and how much of it I need to drink to get admitted to my first choice school? Do you report the quantity consumed on your primary or on the secondary? Does it have to be grape? I heard DOs have to drink more than MDs. Does anyone know?"

Nearly impossible to get licensure in UK as a non-EU citizen studying outside of UK, regardless of how well you do on the PLAB. Just thought you should know. I hope this school isn't using "our grads practice in UK" as a selling point.
Stick to 50 state accredited schools if you must pursue the IMG route.

Hi I'm planning to apply to med school in the Caribbean....

Hey, OP. If you haven't been scared away from the site by the general snark level, why don't we talk about how to actually help you get into med school, for real. One that will actually help you achieve your goals.

Where do you stand now? Are you a US citizen / resident? Do you have a bachelor's degree? Have you completed your pre-reqs? Do you know what I mean by that? What is your GPA? Have you ever applied to US schools? What is your MCAT score, if you've taken it?

I don't just want to tell you that your idea is bad and won't work. I want to see you get where you want to go, in the most efficient way possible. Let us know where you are starting from and it is a lot easier to help you know what is possible and how you might want to proceed.

Reactions: 7 users
MEDICINE DOESNT NEED PEOPLE WHO ARE WILLING TO TAKE SHORTCUTS. You aren't going to get a residency and then you won't even afford to get out of debt.

HINT: If I have to go to wikipedia to determine which continent the school is on, it is probably not a good choice for medical education.

HINT: If I have to go to wikipedia to determine which continent the school is on, it is probably not a good choice for medical education.
At least you narrowed it down to being on a continent -- I was already corrected for calling it an island. :)

(But I did know the Kool Aid story)

Hey, OP. If you haven't been scared away from the site by the general snark level, why don't we talk about how to actually help you get into med school, for real. One that will actually help you achieve your goals.

Where do you stand now? Are you a US citizen / resident? Do you have a bachelor's degree? Have you completed your pre-reqs? Do you know what I mean by that? What is your GPA? Have you ever applied to US schools? What is your MCAT score, if you've taken it?

I don't just want to tell you that your idea is bad and won't work. I want to see you get where you want to go, in the most efficient way possible. Let us know where you are starting from and it is a lot easier to help you know what is possible and how you might want to proceed.

:) Appreciate it. May i ask what school you're currently attendin?

image.jpeg

Isn't Guyana Spanish for bat poop?