Help: Applying to Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigj5768

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi My name is Jeff. I know I'm like the billionth person to ask about my stats, but I was hoping I could still get people's opinions on things I can improve on before I start the application process. I would like to thank anyone in advance for taking there time to look at this thread.
First off, I attend the University of Michigan.
I'm a Sophomore and plan on applying for pharmacy school without finishing getting a B.S degree.
My Current GPA: is 3.372 (on the low side)
EC: I did a year of research at the school. I also volunteer at the U of M Hospital and I am currently working at the dining hall at my school. I've done a few community service events, but not as much as I've seen others do.
I've taken the PCAT, but I plan on retaking this summer.
Yes I was a freshman when I took the test.
First Exam was
45 Verbal :thumbdown:
45 Reading Comprehension :thumbdown:
71 Quantitative
95 Chemistry
87 Biology
Thanks for looking over my credentials. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi My name is Jeff. I know I'm like the billionth person to ask about my stats, but I was hoping I could still get people's opinions on things I can improve on before I start the application process. I would like to thank anyone in advance for taking there time to look at this thread.
I'm a Sophomore and plan on applying for pharmacy school without finishing getting a B.S degree. My Current GPA: is 3.372 (on the low side)

Mine was around there when I got accepted, so don't feel bummed out or anything.

EC: I did a year of research at the school. I also volunteer at the U of M Hospital and I am currently working at the dining hall at my school. I've done a few community service events, but not as much as I've seen others do.

Do you ask a lot of questions while volunteering? Be able to discuss what you learned from research, volunteering, and currently working, and relate it to how it makes you a good applicant. Discuss things that make you stand out in the crowd.

First Exam was
71 Quantitative
95 Chemistry
87 Biology

What was your Composite score the first time?

Hi Jeff,
To be blunt, your stats could use some help. Is there a reason you are applying so early? You are at an disadvantage by not finishing up your B.S.
If you are set on applying this cycle, here are somethings you can do:
- Make sure you are doing well in the classes you are currently taking
- Retake the PCAT (?)
- Volunteer at a pharmacy/shadow a pharmacist
In other words, you have to be able to show adcoms that you are (1) capable of handling the schoolwork associated with pharmacy school [grades and PCAT], (2) know why you want to go into pharmacy - be able to answer questions such as "Why pharmacy?" or "What did you learn during your volunteer experience?" [volunteering] and (3) show them that you have the interpersonal skills and tact to become a pharmacist [the interview]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Sophomore and plan on applying for pharmacy school without finishing getting a B.S degree.
My Current GPA: is 3.372 (on the low side)
First Exam was
71 Quantitative
95 Chemistry
87 Biology

What's your composite? Your science and math section on the PCAT is good but you definitely need to improve the verbal and reading. That is something that can be improved by summer time for the next PCAT. I recommend 501 Word Analogies and Examcracker MCAT Verbal Reasoning (it's much harder than the PCAT but should prepare you well). Practice, practice, practice. As far as your gpa, it's not bad at all but in order to be as competitive as those that are applying to pharm school with a B.S. you need to bring it up higher. Have you done any pharm volunteering or work? That would be a plus for you if you get started on that asap before applying this fall. Adcom likes to see a well round applicant.

My Composite score was 79 =(
The reason I'm applying early is because initially was a pre admit to the University of Michigan Pharmacy School, but I lost because of a course. The program was design in such that I would apply my third year of college. After I lost it I just continued following the initial path Dean Perry set up for me. The only reason why I don't want a B.S is because I do have any interest in getting one. I'm not failing any classes or anything like that in fact except for my first semester, I've been maintaining my Grade point average with slight increases ever semester. And by slight I mean like .01 to .09

I plan to do extreme studying this summer with verbal and reading comprehension. Volunteering at a pharmacy is the current issue I'm having. I thought volunteering at the hospital would help, but I'm really not learning anything. One of the requirement for the Pre admit program was volunteering in a clinical setting and everyone I talk to said my best bet was the U of M hospital. I was also told it was very difficult to get in and if I did I should accept what ever they gave me. So I did and it a position that really doesn't relate to pharmacy. I am getting to communicate with patients like helping them find bathrooms and fulfilling their request but thats about the extent of it. I also assit doctors and nurse by retrieving files and locating other people for them, but. I typically talk to the Emergency department pharmacist about his day to day job, but there is a limit to what he can tell me every time I got to see him.

The reason I'm applying early is because initially was a pre admit to the University of Michigan Pharmacy School, but I lost because of a course. The program was design in such that I would apply my third year of college. After I lost it I just continued following the initial path Dean Perry set up for me. The only reason why I don't want a B.S is because I do have any interest in getting one. I'm not failing any classes or anything like that in fact except for my first semester, I've been maintaining my Grade point average with slight increases ever semester. And by slight I mean like .01 to .09

A PCAT score of 79 is pretty competitive at most schools. I'm really not sure about UMCOP. Try to get it in the 80's will be your best bet. Improvement is a great thing! If pharmacy is what you are passionate about then just go for it and do what it takes. If I could reverse time, I would rather do the 2 yrs prereq and 4 years pharm school route but then again...who knows.

A 79, especially taken as a freshman, is pretty good. A ~3.4 GPA is competitive. It sounds like your grades are on an upward swing, which adcoms supposedly like to see. I think you've got an excellent chance of getting in somewhere as is. If you're shooting for particularly competitive schools, you may need to improve your resume by boosting your GPA and/or PCAT a little bit higher, or finishing up your B.S. You really don't have anything to get down on yourself about though. Your PCAT science scores are killer, and that's the toughest part for many people. Moderate improvements to your verbal/reading scores would give you an awesome PCAT composite.

Keep doing what you're doing, retake your PCAT, and if all else fails and you don't get in where you want, you can either finish your B.S. or settle for what you can get.

Thanks you guys. I have another question. I was thinking about becoming a certified pharmacy technician in order to boost my extracurriculars. What do you guys think? I think it would be good because I can work over the summer (and probably through the school year). Gain experience in a pharmacy and I think it would help in Pharmacy School. The downside is I have to spend time studying for another exam when I should be focusing on PCAT and if I can even work as a Technician in Ann Arbor or West Bloomfield if I pass the exam.

Thanks you guys. I have another question. I was thinking about becoming a certified pharmacy technician in order to boost my extracurriculars. What do you guys think? I think it would be good because I can work over the summer (and probably through the school year). Gain experience in a pharmacy and I think it would help in Pharmacy School. The downside is I have to spend time studying for another exam when I should be focusing on PCAT and if I can even work as a Technician in Ann Arbor or West Bloomfield if I pass the exam.

If you can get a job in a pharmacy without becoming certified, I wouldn't bother, but getting pharmacy experience is most definitely a good idea. I got a job as a tech, learned everything I needed on the job, then got certified. It was cake. And I didn't have to pay a penny for a course or devote time outside of work prepping for it.

So it is possible to get a Tech job without being certified?

So it is possible to get a Tech job without being certified?

Depends on the laws in your state. For instance, in Florida, you have to complete a tech training course and be certified to become a tech by law (from what I've heard on SDN anyway). In KY, all you need is to be 18 years old with a pulse. Of course, depending on your market, even if it's legal, finding a tech position might be next to impossible unless you're already certified. So your best bet would be contacting pharmacies in your area to see what your options are. Retail positions are typically easiest to come by, but since you're already at the hospital maybe you could give that a shot.

I also would like some feedback on my stats.
Overall GPA-3.38 (I'm a junior at a competitive school)
PCAT- Not taken
I've been working at walgreens since February after doing an unpaid internship 40hrs/week in January
I am am currently VP of my schools chemistry society- and will be president next yr
I am founder and president of the pre-pharmacy club
I have shadowed several places
I also have other volunteer experience
I worked as lead administrator for a summer camp for 3 summers

What would I need to score on my PCAT to be competitive? My GPA won't likely change much.
How do people feel about the value of hiring a private tutor to study for the PCAT?

I have a friend who got in to UMich with a gpa and pcat less than yours. But I think his resume was pretty impressive with a lot of leadership, volunteer and work experience. Plus, I know he did well in the interview. So I definitely know they look at the whole package...focus on well roundedness and don't get too hung up on just one component. A 79 is not bad at all! Good luck!

I also would like some feedback on my stats.
Overall GPA-3.38 (I'm a junior at a competitive school)
PCAT- Not taken
I've been working at walgreens since February after doing an unpaid internship 40hrs/week in January
I am am currently VP of my schools chemistry society- and will be president next yr
I am founder and president of the pre-pharmacy club
I have shadowed several places
I also have other volunteer experience
I worked as lead administrator for a summer camp for 3 summers

What would I need to score on my PCAT to be competitive? My GPA won't likely change much.
How do people feel about the value of hiring a private tutor to study for the PCAT?

Thats good you have a lot of volunteer and work experience. Just make sure you can convey it well through your personal statement (and later through interview). Schools like to see what you gain from your experiences that will help you in pharmacy, not what you can load on to your application/resume. A lot of schools i've heard say get AT LEAST a 65 on the pcat but that's probably with a higher gpa...say a 3.6. I'd try to aim for 75 or higher. My gpa wasn't super stellar but I made up for it with good volunteer/work experience and a decent pcat (high 80th percentile).

I just studied on my own...in my personal opinion, a tutor might not help much because the pcat is a combination of several subjects that you should have already taken. The material itself isn't that difficult to require a tutor...I found I had the most trouble with timing. So unless you need to hire someone to help time you when taking practice tests, the best way to do it is to just grab a kitchen timer and practice. This was what I did and it turned out well. If its the material that you have difficulty with, brush up on your memory with your old textbooks, notes, and pcat review books. Hope that helps and good luck!