Help!! arm cast and MCAT accomodations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consuela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I broke my wrist and was put into an arm cast 2 weeks ago. I'm taking the August 2 MCAT and am having a little freak-out since I just saw this: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/accommodations/faq/261832/chronicmedical.html

I have been practicing taking the MCAT without that arm (thankfully, not dominant hand) so that's not the issue but I'm really nervous that the testing center will turn me away. How could I have possibly gotten the accommodation 30 days prior to Silver Registration since I didn't have a broken wrist then?

What are my options?? Should I call the doctor to take off the cast (even though it should be on for a couple more weeks)? Anyone have personal experience with this?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, better just move my arm down to my side in an obvious fashion and slip out my cheat sheet while on cam!

Last edited:
You either have to take the exam or they will tell you to wait till it's healed and take the exam again. The testing center will not turn you away it is your choice to take it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read a substantial proportion of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the relevant case law. I read this because I was curious, I had not seen this thread yet.

A US Supreme Court ruling found that a disability, as it pertains to the ADA, must be "lifelong" or very "long-term". Broken bones are not covered by the ADA if they will heal.

Is it fair to deny you entrance into the testing room with a cast? No, it is absolutely not fair. Will they deny you entrance into the testing room with a cast? Yes, the test center administrators are required to turn you away. They do not have a choice. Realistically, they might break this rule.

Is it illegal to turn you away because of a cast? Maybe, but it is not a violation of the ADA. It would only be illegal if there was some other law or court case pertaining to temporary conditions. There are tons of laws, and there are even more court cases, so good luck. If the court case hasn't happened yet, then maybe you get to sue the AMCAS and set the legal precedent. I bet you might win.

Hey- thanks for the info! I was able to take my test. I had called the test center beforehand and confirmed with them that I would be able to take my test: took down his name, number, etc. On test day, it wasn't a problem and the guy I had spoken with remembered me. Obviously AAMC saw that I had a cast on in the video footage of me taking the test so I think it's a non-issue.

Haha, I doubt AAMC watches the video footage unless something serious calls their attention to it. If they let you in, you are golden.

Test centers are definitely variable. My test center was extremely strict about my cell phones during 10-minute breaks, but I have heard of other test centers that let people go to their cars during the breaks, and who knows what they have there. It is certainly not videotaped or supervised in the parking lot.

A cheat sheet is not going to help you on the MCAT. AAMC could let students walk in with anything they want written on a sheet of paper and I'm confident median scores would not budge a point.