Help buying medical supplies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rendar5

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I missed my school's presentation on supplies, and I need some in 3 weeks (the order forms go out on Friday, but i think that if i just buy from the standard vending people, i will pay way too much)

Anyway, I found good deals on stethoscopes (getting a Littleman II or III). As for otoscopes and ophthalmoscopes, I just saw prices on those and nearly fainted. What do I want to look for in them, and where do i want to look for good prices? I'm not planning on becoming a neurologist or opthalmologist or ENT, so i don't need a top-of-the-line model for either one. But I do need stuff that isn't crap. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

you want a welch allyn scope set.

you can get a good pocket set on ebay for somewhere between 150-200$

that's a decent price for the best scopes on the market.

and in the end, if you don't need it, or want to upgrade, you can always fleabay it back. It brings top dollar. So you won't lose too much money on your investment.

If you buy any other craptacular scope set, you will be disappointed, and end up trashing it, because you cant see ****. Plus, no one will want to buy it, cuz they know they can't see **** either.

wow thanks, didn't think of e-baying it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure glad that I spent $500 on my otoscope. Lol.

UCLAstudent said:
I'm sure glad that I spent $500 on my otoscope. Lol.

now THAT is fockin LOL. a $500 otoscope! hahahah

Is it gold plated? ;)

YouDontKnowJack said:
now THAT is fockin LOL. a $500 otoscope! hahahah

Is it gold plated? ;)

Hahaha, and that was even with the student discount (down from $600+). :laugh:

got all my supplies for a combined total less than $400. Thanks for that ebay idea. got a 2.5V pocketset of optho, oto, specula, and case for $169 + $8 shipping. then just internet searched for a stethoscope at a lower price and allheared the rest of the miscellaneous supplies.